Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:05 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,427 times

Advertisements

The slow death of New Orleans.

I moved to New Orleans in hopes to harness something inside.
I fought tooth and nail to be here, to live in the city that birthed Jazz, where the bars don’t close and the music is as hot as the food.
I knew what I was getting into, to truly love something; you have to love it for its flaws.
New Orleans is, a flawed city.
Yet, those of us who love it will defend it when its face is buried in the social dog **** that we’re allowing.
We cannot turn our heads any longer, crime is crippling this city and every day people are finding more and more reasons to pack their things and find a new place to celebrate life. A safer place, in a city that can barely contain somewhere between 300K and 400K (depending on who you ask) we beat the national crime average by 12%, that is a sobering number. The New Orleans murder rate is higher than the rest of the country but everyone will still proudly admit that it’s down!
This is NOT a good thing.

Last night a woman was shot and killed during an armed robbery, she lost her life over money. This instance was not in the slums, but in the bread and butter of the city: the French quarter. The place where the money is made and tourists flock to.
Three kids held her up on the way to her car, three kids who have no value on life and more than likely spent her blood money without the blink of an eye.
This is another notch in the belt of a dying city.
Leadership is a joke and no one will take responsibility of the actions of the citizens.
What can we do?
If the one place that buoy’s the local economy is under fire, then everything is lost.
It’s a sad reality to know that certain neighborhoods have to pay for private security forces to patrol as a measure to keep their residents safe.
Again, not a good thing.

Rallies don’t work, prayer doesn’t work, and the police certainly don’t work.
It’s not as simple as some might point the finger and say it’s all black people.
It’s a matter that bad people who are constantly given multiple chances to continue heinous behavior only grow worse and the company they keep only sees this and acts accordingly.
I have lived in a section of the city that had drug dealers on my stoop, people screaming at all hours.
I have heard descriptive accounts of where drugs are hidden and who wants to kill whom.
Now, I live in a “nice” part of the city. Do I buy it? Not really, I’m just waiting for the shoe to drop. Something is bound to happen in our happy little neighborhood.
It’s the New Orleans brand: nothing is perfect.

I am at a loss for what we’re expected to do outside moving away, going to live someplace where crime doesn’t stare you in the eye and places it’s finger directly in your face and you’re supposed to make a choice; deal or leave.
The people need to stand up for each other, to do something to make this place livable again. When you’re having a good night here, it’s the stuff of legend but when you have that one bad night…you could end up in a pine box.
I implore people aside from myself to do something, say something, start a movement.
Because we cannot accept this any further.

To sweep life under the rug only makes the pile larger and vile.
These are only words on a screen but they are real issues that need to be addressed and unless the city wants everyone armed and ready to end the next attacker by way of vigilante justice, something must be done and NOW.
I don’t have the answers and I wish I wasn’t writing this but this is our reality.
I am enclosing my email address; let’s start a revolution together.
I don’t know what we can do, but let’s at least talk, have a drink and see if we can think of SOMETHING that can help.
Anything at this point is a blessing.

This is life in New Orleans, murder happens.
Kidcarre@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
NOLA- one of the best cities the world has ever created is ignored by the USA and much worse most of its citizens

Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 AM

126 posts, read 471,372 times
That was a sad murder...word is they are about to get those two thugs that did this--may they rot in hell. BTW, murder happens in every city in America, not just New Orleans. If you get a march going, I'll participate. It wouldn't be the first time I've marched into city hall. Best thing to do is hand it over when they ask for it--don't fight them as this victim did.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
In the early 1980s I lived in New Orleans for four years and worked in the French Quarter. From the day I drove into the City and had to escape a likely mugging as I sat in my vehicle reading a city map, I determined to leave as soon as I could. And regarding unanswered prayer; like Jonah who spent three days and three nights in the damp bowels of a great "fish", I too thought my prayers were going unanswered. What I learned is that God sometimes says "no" and sometimes he bides his time until we we learn the lesson he seeks to teach us. In short, I would worry less about the bowels of the beast and worry more about my own soul.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
You can thank all the dipsh*ts (many of them white) who voted Nagin into another term. If they would've voted for Landreiu (or however its spelled), the last 3.5 years of recovery would be a very different, happier story. If Nagin would've gotten his head out of his butt and gotten his residents under control from the get-go, the recovery process might have taken ten years at best. Now with Nagin in office for the first few years into recovery, he has let every thing go so crazy that a full recovery will take 30 years at best.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Nagin and Riley are both sad individuals.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 12,026 times
we are relocating to New Orleans this summer simply because thats where we feel we should be. The murder in the french quarter this weekend has really shakin us up. We were always told that for the most part as long as we stay out of bad areas that the crime should not effect us to much. We love New Orleans but have 2 sons, 17 and 10 that we want to be safe. I guess we just want some advice maybe from people that has moved from out of state like ourselves.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 PM

Do the homework on where you're going to live.
Check the surrounding blocks, meet the neighbors and talk to people.

Crime WILL affect you, to say it won't is a banal lie.
You can enjoy your life here but know that common sense is a major factor but also, like this weekend provided that things can happen, anywhere.

New Orleans has many gifts.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
What you have to understand is that the incident in the French Quarter is the equivalent to a regular crime in "average cities". After you take away the drug crimes, the city of New Orleans would have a fairly average crime rate. i.e. there will still be some random crime unrelated to drug related crime. Stuff does happen to random people sometimes, just like in any other town. You just have to be able to see the line between drug crimes and random crimes.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 AM

126 posts, read 471,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
In the early 1980s I lived in New Orleans for four years and worked in the French Quarter. From the day I drove into the City and had to escape a likely mugging as I sat in my vehicle reading a city map, I determined to leave as soon as I could. And regarding unanswered prayer; like Jonah who spent three days and three nights in the damp bowels of a great "fish", I too thought my prayers were going unanswered. What I learned is that God sometimes says "no" and sometimes he bides his time until we we learn the lesson he seeks to teach us. In short, I would worry less about the bowels of the beast and worry more about my own soul.
Aren't you glad you're gone and no longer live here? I am. The classic example of people we don't want or need to be anywhere near New Orleans, much less live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans