Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 05:46 PM

239 posts, read 612,179 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I'll be spending a few days in New Orleans over the holidays. My boyfriend and I would like to visit the French Quarter again, but the hotels are either booked or way too pricey (I suppose because we'll be there for New Year's Eve). If we stay in the Garden District or elsewhere --recommendations? -- will we need to rent a car to get to the Quarter or is public transportation adequate? How late do the buses and streetcars run? (Yes, I visited the transit authority website, but there are so many routes, I got all confused).
Also, we're visiting because we're seriously considering relocating to New Orleans or Metarie. How is public transportation from NOLA to Metarie?
Also, what are some recommendations for New Year's Eve activities? We enjoy a few drinks, but are not into crowds or really loud clubs. Our favorite tourist place when we visited was Lafitte's Blacksmith Bar because it was mellow, but should we just steer clear of Bourbon Street completely on New Year's Eve? (We're both NYers who could never endure the Times Square thing). How do the locals celebrate?
Sorry about all the questions -- just want to make the most out of a short trip. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Check Dauphine House (www.dauphinehouse.com) which is in the Marigny right across from Esplanade. Still walkable to and around the French Quarter and close to Frenchman Street. We love the place. The rooms are pretty small but very quaint and the proprietor is an absolute doll.

Can't help you with public transportation, though, because we always rent a car when we visit. (We like to take drives and go out of town.) There is a bus that goes up Esplanade but I don't know its hours.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:19 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
For NYE, you might want to take the ferry across to Algiers, to either the Old Point bar, or the Dry Dock. Both are very much 'local' hangouts, with a nice neighborly kind of vibe. Less trashed than the more touristy areas, especially on NYE. Just be mindful that the last ferry leaves Algiers around midnight.
Another 'local' hangout would be around Frenchmen St, more live music rather than 'clubs'. I dont know how crazy it'd get on NYE though, it really goes off at Mardi Gras and Halloween.

I dont know about public transport but bikes are a popular, easy and safe way of getting around. Metarie might be a bit far though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans