Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:30 PM

48 posts, read 109,686 times

Advertisements

Just went through about 7 pages. got some good insight. got some confirmed good places to go from you locals and with people that visited....im kind of a "off the map" guy. i love nature...i love to see animals that aren't in my region (mass). I am addicted to Cajun food....i make jambalaya weekly and Cajun Alfredo sauce all the time as well. so basically all i wanna do is eat some good jambalaya...and see some alligators and some nice cypress trees and explore the bayou's. I saw the tours and what not...but i dont wanna be on a boat or do drive byes....i wanna be able to go to the water and look in it and explore and take pics at my own leisure. my wife is like i dont wanna get a rent a car cuz i know you'll just drive to the 9th ward and all the places we aren't welcome....im like its not like we will just get shot for being white and in a low income area. I wanted to just drive around and take pics and explore myself. i also wanna do some cat fishing or something of the sort. ive yet to find an "Affordable" place for that. up here we have party boats that go out and its like 30 bucks a person. im sure ill have more questions. basically im the guy who likes the pictures of history, countryside, palm trees, oceans ect. thanks!!

edit:
i do see that the pyratecon will be in town...how is that gonna add to the bourbon street flavor? we are staying at the hilton on st charles just so people know.

currently this is what i have listed to do or go

St Louis Cemetary #1
Canal Street Ferry
Jackson Square Ferry Cats lol (i have to see this)
Pat O'Briens
St Charles Street Car
Zoo
Aquarium
Central Grocery
Johnny's Po Boy's
Coops Place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpylemon View Post
Just went through about 7 pages. got some good insight. got some confirmed good places to go from you locals and with people that visited....im kind of a "off the map" guy. i love nature...i love to see animals that aren't in my region (mass). I am addicted to Cajun food....i make jambalaya weekly and Cajun Alfredo sauce all the time as well. so basically all i wanna do is eat some good jambalaya...and see some alligators and some nice cypress trees and explore the bayou's. I saw the tours and what not...but i dont wanna be on a boat or do drive byes....i wanna be able to go to the water and look in it and explore and take pics at my own leisure. my wife is like i dont wanna get a rent a car cuz i know you'll just drive to the 9th ward and all the places we aren't welcome....im like its not like we will just get shot for being white and in a low income area. I wanted to just drive around and take pics and explore myself. i also wanna do some cat fishing or something of the sort. ive yet to find an "Affordable" place for that. up here we have party boats that go out and its like 30 bucks a person. im sure ill have more questions. basically im the guy who likes the pictures of history, countryside, palm trees, oceans ect. thanks!!

edit:
i do see that the pyratecon will be in town...how is that gonna add to the bourbon street flavor? we are staying at the hilton on st charles just so people know.

St Louis Cemetary #1
Canal Street Ferry
Pat O'Briens
St Charles Street Car
Zoo
Aquarium
Central Grocery
Johnny's Po Boy's
Coops Place
Here's my advice: New Orleans is a great city, but it's still obviously a city so to see the kind of stuff you're talking about, the best spots are a few hours outside of the city. I had my own car and I drove all over the lower part of that beautiful state: Go to Avery Island, where you can drive around at your own leisure and see some of the sights that are iconic to Louisiana: bayous, alligators, live oak trees dripping with Spanish moss, and the like. It's not too far from a great small town named Breaux Bridge, the Crawfish Capital of the World, a historic town with some great Cajun and Catholic heritage. There you'll be positioned along the Atchafalaya, which is the largest swampland in North America. You can take boat tours if you want, but you can also explore on your own, by car or foot. While you're in Breaux Bridge, stop at the legendary Cafe des Amis, a great Cajun restaurant in the heart of Acadiana. Don't forget to get the crawfish cornbread or the gateau sirop for dessert!

In New Orleans, I liked Preservation Hall for music, as I'm a huge jazz fan. It's off Bourbon street, it's open late, and they have a great bar in which I had some fantastic hurricanes and the best mint julep I ever had in the South. The French Quarter is great for food, but with a car, do yourself a favor and go one night to Jacquimos, on Oak Street (I believe), where you can get some delicious alligator sausage cheesecake, and also a great selection of steaks, fish, spicy and mild dishes, as well as great Louisiana beer (You must try Purple Haze - the raspberry wheat beer!) in a friendly atmosphere.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,860 times
Do make time to people watch and eat beignets at Cafe du Monde. It's a great way to start the day but more entertaining in the late evening. There's an interesting voodoo shop not far from there on one of the side streets off Bourbon.
Avery Island is worth the trip -- or pilgrimage, depending on your feelings about Tabasco sauce.
History of Avery Island, Louisiana | TABASCO® History | TABASCO.COM

Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpylemon View Post

edit:

St Louis Cemetary #1 Terrific choice. If you have a camera that can shoot black 'n' white, go for it. It makes for very dramatic, eerie shots. It's safest when there are tour groups around, which is frequent.
Canal Street Ferry You can ride it to the Cemetery.
Pat O'Briens
St Charles Street Car
Zoo You sure you want to fit it into such a short stay?
Aquarium
Central Grocery
Johnny's Po Boy's
Coops Place
We always rent a car when we're there; however, we typically stay for 10 days, so we always fit in drives. 9th Ward would be okay during the day as long as you didn't venture around on foot; however, it wouldn't be worth the time. Use your three days for better things.

Your wife would probably enjoy the French Market. And ya gotta' experience Cafe DuMonde'.

Are you into museums? Right next to the St. Louis Cathedral (which you should step inside to view ~ breathtaking!) is the Presbyterie Mardi Gras Museum. It is EXCELLENT, very thorough. But plan on being there 1 to 2 hours. (OR you could take the ferry to Mardi Gras World in Algiers; however, that would kill more time. And that one provides less history.)

Try a Ramos Gin Fizz at the Carousel Bar inside the Monteleone Hotel. It's another signature local drink.

Hope you have the time of your lives. It's a great, feel-good city.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 AM

67 posts, read 172,242 times
If you decide to have a car I'd recommend going to Spahr's restaurant in Des Allemands. They have good food and behind the restaurant is a gator viewing area. Another spot is the spillway off Airline Drive in Norco. They have a long bike trail beside the water. On the west side (just cross the spillway and you will see where to drive down the levee to the parking lot) there's a boardwalk out over the water where people are likely to be fishing. I have not seen any gators out there though.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:22 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,292,349 times
I would definitely recommend the World War II museum. Also eat at Margaritaville, we think its good and lots of fun. Also take a trolly ride through the garden district.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:14 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,931,164 times
Margaritaville is great if you want to tourist-watch. But for a New Orleans experience I'd head for 'Thirteen' on Frenchmen St. It's handy to some great live music venues and has more of a local feel to it. Frenchmen is where locals hang out, rather than Bourbon St.

Also, I wouldn't bother with Pat O'Briens, their Hurricanes are pre-mixed, and again, it's more for tourists. Stop in and have a beer so at least you'll see the place, then head further down Bourbon St, away from the pardy-hardy crowds, to Lafittes Blacksmith Shoppe. Rumored to be so many things, including the oldest functioning bar in the U.S, a smugglers hangout; all I know is, they make the best Hurricanes this side of the M-D Line!

Btw, Mardi Gras World, as mentioned earlier, is worth a visit, but it's since moved from Algiers. I'd still take the ferry over, and stop in at the Dry Dock, or the Old Point Tavern. Great local vibe, nice people, and the ferry ride is wonderful.

Here's a link to M.G world
Contact - Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World - New Orleans, LA

Have a look at booking one of the ghost tours too. Not really my thing, but it's so suited to the atmosphere there. I've been told there are better ones than "Haunted History", which is a well-known one. Then you can stop in at the absinthe bar in Pirates Alley..you may just see a few ghost hosts hanging out, and maybe a pirate or two!

A carriage ride as soon as you arrive is really a great way to orient yourself to the city. Our favorite driver has a carriage that takes 12 people, it has purple awnings, and the mules' name is "Knucklehead".

Pity you only have 3 days, but you can still do a lot in that time. I'm sure it won't be your last visit, enjoy!

Edit: Hm, none of the above is very nature-related, which you said you're into. If you can book a swamp tour, I think that'd give you some fantastic photo ops, and you'll get a really close look at the amazing swamps just out of town. We did the Honey Island tour, well worth it even if we didn't see any 'gators. They just happened to have a baby one on board, so at least we could say we saw one. The swamps are incredible though, it's well worth it. They pick you up at your hotel and take you out to the boat.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Fury View Post
If you decide to have a car I'd recommend going to Spahr's restaurant in Des Allemands.
My mom LOVES that place! She goes on and on about the food there!

Old 01-30-2010, 04:07 PM

48 posts, read 109,686 times
thanks guys for all your info....im researching all this now. great idea's. can you still drink on bourbon street in the streets year round? im so excited to go!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 04:20 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,931,164 times
You can get a go-cup anywhere in the French Quarter year round. I understand it's an exciting idea, but there is a lot more to New Orleans than that. I think you have to see Bourbon St at least once, but try Frenchmen St for local nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans