Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 PM

6 posts, read 88,582 times

Advertisements

I received a letter for an interview for a lottery apartment on March 23 which I attended and submitted all required documentation. I have a few questions as I am not familiar with the process.

1) I meet the income eligibiity requirements and an income verification has been completed (saw the inquiry on my credit report) but will an old judgment (an eviction from 2006), which no longer appears on my credit report come up in a background check?

2) I was asked to provide my life insurance policy (considered an asset) but accidently forgot to submit a policy that I have for my 6 y/o child. Will that pose a problem?

3) I was asked to submit child support records. Although there's a court order, I'm owed serious arrears - 12K, and the payments are sporatic at best - $125 wkly) Why should this factor into income when they can clearly see that I don't receive them often?

4) Is it true that they conduct home visits? If so, I may have an issue bc I have to vacate my current apt by 4/30 due to the primary tenant (relative) not renewing the lease. I am not the leaseholder.

I have a lot of concerns during this process, so any responses will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Be more specific: what kind of housing. HPD oversees many programs, Is it NY Housing Authority, Mitchell-Lama rental, Mitchell Lama co-op, 80/20 affordamble, or some other type of affordable housing.

1. That 2006 eviction might come up but I think the odds are in your favor. Did it go to court...there may be records? I don't know exactly how that works, who has access to what.

2. I doubt that Life Insurance on your child is material, but tell them when you get the chance. If it has a cash redeemable value it will be counted as an asset. If it's term life, it has no value.

3. They are interested in what you actually GET in child support so they will ask for an estimate for the coming year and evidence of the past year. Being owed something is immaterial, it is what you RECEIVE that is counted as income. If you got $1000 in 2011 they will likely assume the same for 2012.

4. Yes, you can count on a home visit, but they will give you ample warning, so get rid of the dead bodies and the pot plants.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 AM

140 posts, read 395,484 times
Morning! It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can share some insight with me! I was recently approved by the director of one of the lottery apt complexes and told they are now sending my paperwork to the city. All of my verifications have been sent back and so forth. Has anyone been denied after this point? They told me what apt I would live in but I'm still confused.. What does the city do? Credit check and so forth or is that already completed? Any info will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
City will likely check your NY State income tax forms to see if your income is on the up and up and perhaps your dependents are the same as you claimed for occupancy.
Perhaps they will check for a criminal record.

Probably nothing else.

Pretty much, if you are playing straight and passed the landlord vetting, you are home free...except for the nervousness of waiting. It can be harrowing as you well know.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 AM

140 posts, read 395,484 times
Thank you

Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Be more specific: what kind of housing. HPD oversees many programs, Is it NY Housing Authority, Mitchell-Lama rental, Mitchell Lama co-op, 80/20 affordamble, or some other type of affordable housing.

1. That 2006 eviction might come up but I think the odds are in your favor. Did it go to court...there may be records? I don't know exactly how that works, who has access to what.

2. I doubt that Life Insurance on your child is material, but tell them when you get the chance. If it has a cash redeemable value it will be counted as an asset. If it's term life, it has no value.

3. They are interested in what you actually GET in child support so they will ask for an estimate for the coming year and evidence of the past year. Being owed something is immaterial, it is what you RECEIVE that is counted as income. If you got $1000 in 2011 they will likely assume the same for 2012.

4. Yes, you can count on a home visit, but they will give you ample warning, so get rid of the dead bodies and the pot plants.
Thank you for your response!
The lottery was for an HPD affordable housing apartment. I received a letter stating that I was denied due to exceeding the income guideline. I am appealing this decision bc they included child support that I DO NOT receive. They calculated what I would receive annually (if I was actually receiving it) I also submitted copies of the account statement from Support Collection Unit that shows what I received 2011 - YTD (minimal payments received and HUGE arrears)
I have also asked for assistance/advice from my Community Board which happens to be where I reside and the development I won the lottery. I feel fortunate to have a wonderful person who is really advocating for me.
The feedback thus far from the mngmt company is that they have to follow the HUD guidelines, but I'm trying to exhaust all possiblilties considering that I am facing being homeless in a few short weeks.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTerrace View Post
Thank you for your response!
The lottery was for an HPD affordable housing apartment. I received a letter stating that I was denied due to exceeding the income guideline. I am appealing this decision bc they included child support that I DO NOT receive. They calculated what I would receive annually (if I was actually receiving it) I also submitted copies of the account statement from Support Collection Unit that shows what I received 2011 - YTD (minimal payments received and HUGE arrears)
I have also asked for assistance/advice from my Community Board which happens to be where I reside and the development I won the lottery. I feel fortunate to have a wonderful person who is really advocating for me.
The feedback thus far from the mngmt company is that they have to follow the HUD guidelines, but I'm trying to exhaust all possiblilties considering that I am facing being homeless in a few short weeks.
Don't get your hopes up because your case sounds too complicated .You have too many special circumstances.For every income qualified applicant with any a special circumstance like you there are 10 applicants with no special circumstances .......and you have many.Sounds harsh but why would they bother with all the extra work required to approve you when there is a line of easy approves?

If you have a child and are facing homelessness you could possibly get fast tracked into NYCHA.That might be your best bet.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Don't get your hopes up because your case sounds too complicated .You have too many special circumstances.For every income qualified applicant with any a special circumstance like you there are 10 applicants with no special circumstances .......and you have many.Sounds harsh but why would they bother with all the extra work required to approve you when there is a line of easy approves?

If you have a child and are facing homelessness you could possibly get fast tracked into NYCHA.That might be your best bet.
Thanks for your response. I do not believe that I have "too many" special circumstances. The only matter is the child support they are calculating incorrectly. Even if it is rejected, it is worth a 2nd look especially by someone who actually makes the ultimate decision, not the interviewer. For every development, there is a community liaison; if the community board believes that there's validity to my claim, it's worth a fighting chance.

All other matters have been settled and are no longer a concern.

I appreciate everyone's advice thus far, I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by WestTerrace; 04-11-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 99,804 times
Do lottery apartments always do a home visit?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 AM

9 posts, read 99,804 times
How long does it take for my background check to come back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery