Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times

Advertisements

Remember,
You guys OWN the place now. If you want to change air conditioners be prepared for a HEFTY charge to do it. Those TPAC units are pricey and must be installed by a plumber.

ANYTHING can be changed, but not without a price tag.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-23-2013 at 07:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 AM

139 posts, read 189,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Barrio Girl View Post
Hey all,
Dan, the contractor, passed by my apt today for some minor things here and there. I asked him about the ACs and the BTUs. He said that 13000 btus should be enough and that ICe air is giving us the run around throwing it on the btus. Apparently some units work fine (most units)-according to Dan, and just a few are not heating up properly. He says it's an Ice Air situation and that they are trying to address this issue.
I wonder if everyone that has the same unit is having the same issue or just some...this calls for El Barrio Gilr's Investigative Reporting of la Celia cooling system LOL.
Please let us know if your unit ac works or not. that way we can see if it is just some or all....
best,
the sauna apt owner.
ElBarrio, our apt is north facing, we installed solar shades, and have not had major issues with the air conditioner. In the hottest days, it took running it all the time to cool the room, but that would be the case anywhere. Sunday when it was about 85 degrees outside, it was perfectly fine as long, but the moment you turn on the stove, the living room air conditioner cannot keep up.
I will look under the covers as Soon suggested...

Of course, all modern units have not been designed to take advantage of natural air circulation (no cross windows where the outside air can blow in) so I think a fan is a must to circulate the cold air around the living room.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 AM

86 posts, read 312,398 times
Can someone who applied to this building and had a lottery preference (disability, CB) explain how/if it helped them get an apartment? I am applying to other buildings with a Hurricane Sandy preference and I'm curious to see how it works since I'm not getting straight answers from either building's developer.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:15 PM

36 posts, read 56,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Barrio Girl View Post
Hey all,
Dan, the contractor, passed by my apt today for some minor things here and there. I asked him about the ACs and the BTUs. He said that 13000 btus should be enough and that ICe air is giving us the run around throwing it on the btus. Apparently some units work fine (most units)-according to Dan, and just a few are not heating up properly. He says it's an Ice Air situation and that they are trying to address this issue.
I wonder if everyone that has the same unit is having the same issue or just some...this calls for El Barrio Gilr's Investigative Reporting of la Celia cooling system LOL.
Please let us know if your unit ac works or not. that way we can see if it is just some or all....
best,
the sauna apt owner.
I spoke to Ryan and he found it "strange that Ice Air is stating that the BTUs is not strong enough since they installed the units in the first place and should have addressed it then." He suggested to speak to the builder but doubt that something could be done.

Has anyone addressed this with the builder already?????? Can't believe its actually cooler outside than in my own apartment with AC on full power!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 PM

36 posts, read 56,667 times
Anyone has the the builder's contact information????

Old 07-25-2013, 02:04 AM

12 posts, read 17,978 times
Has anyone used an electrician yet to install ceiling fans or lighting options (dimmers, track lighting, overhead lighting, etc)? If so, do you have any referrals?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM

184 posts, read 334,139 times
I closed and moved in on monday! I've met a few nice people so far. Unfortunately there are some issues with cabinets, tiles, low water pressure w/refrig water dispenser.

Anyone looking to buy a dresser, night stand, bed frame let me know...nothing is working in the apartment...going from a 2 bedroom to a studio is hard!

Ed

Old 07-25-2013, 04:09 PM

12 posts, read 17,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
I closed and moved in on monday! I've met a few nice people so far. Unfortunately there are some issues with cabinets, tiles, low water pressure w/refrig water dispenser.

Anyone looking to buy a dresser, night stand, bed frame let me know...nothing is working in the apartment...going from a 2 bedroom to a studio is hard!

Ed
Congratulations on closing and moving in, Marshland! I'm really happy the process worked out for you!

I do my walk through on Monday and I'm taking notes from the posts re issues. Should I have similar issues in my unit, are these things they would fix before I move in? Or would it just be for my benefit to know what I would have to fix down the line?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 PM

184 posts, read 334,139 times
You'll have to use the warranty form in your binder and hope they address these issues. Check the water pressure in refrig. The veneer on cabinets was lose which is only noticeable if you wipe your hand across the cabinet fronts. I found a broken bathroom wall tile that appears had been camouflaged with paint. Of course once I cleaned the tile the paint was gone and crack was noticeable. Do not expect it to be clean. Lots of clear caulking in sink and on counter. A razor blade gently scraped it away. Good luck!!

Old 07-27-2013, 04:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:

Anyone looking to buy a dresser, night stand, bed frame let me know...nothing
is working in the apartment...going from a 2 bedroom to a studio is hard!
You got that in one.
I moved from a very large one bedroom to a smaller one bedroom and I thought the decisions about what to toss out would kill me.
I cannot imagine how the 2 bedroom to studio would be doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery