Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 04:48 AM

12 posts, read 17,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
You'll have to use the warranty form in your binder and hope they address these issues. Check the water pressure in refrig. The veneer on cabinets was lose which is only noticeable if you wipe your hand across the cabinet fronts. I found a broken bathroom wall tile that appears had been camouflaged with paint. Of course once I cleaned the tile the paint was gone and crack was noticeable. Do not expect it to be clean. Lots of clear caulking in sink and on counter. A razor blade gently scraped it away. Good luck!!
Thanks, Marshland, much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:46 PM

36 posts, read 56,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
I closed and moved in on monday! I've met a few nice people so far. Unfortunately there are some issues with cabinets, tiles, low water pressure w/refrig water dispenser.

Anyone looking to buy a dresser, night stand, bed frame let me know...nothing is working in the apartment...going from a 2 bedroom to a studio is hard!

Ed
Congrats Marshland!!!!

Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM

16 posts, read 28,315 times
I want to congratulate the newly elected board. I also wanted to comment on a few items that were brought up tonight.
The first is about the comments on putting in a doorman. I personally cannot afford any type of increase on my maintenance. We haven't been living here a year yet when the suggestions that were being made tonight will require a significant increase on our maintenance which impacts everyone. I think that before people start throwing out ideas that are costly to please do your research because we are now owners and no one will pay for any changes except for ourselves. I also wanted to say that I urge everyone to be mindful when washing their laundry. I have gone down to the laundry room many times and there have been piles of clothes just laying around on the table & window for hours and sometimes day. No to mention as well in the dryer unattended for hours and hours at a time. The laundry room is small for this size building and we all need to be respectful of what we have before we no longer have it.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,684 times
Just came from the board meeting and am feeling a bit uneasy. I'm concerned that the board is not diverse enough..A doctor, a lawyer and a systems analyst (I believe). Not clear how 3 very similar women can represent the extremely varied socio-economic diversity of our group. I truly hope that our newly elected board members reach out to ALL the voices of the building. And in terms of future board members, we should encourage those with less affluent job titles - the "working class " of the building to represent the building as well .There is a lot of information on this very forum that is incorrect and yet a few established bloggers write their opinions as facts. Please do not let a few "know-it-alls" who state the "type" of person who needs to be on the board affect your future votes

There is already a clear divide among those who want and can afford a doorman vs. those that feel they are financially tapped out. If so few have the power, especially this early on, this board will set the tone for the future of the building! TREAD CAREFULLY!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:10 AM

338 posts, read 677,568 times
I don't think you need to worry about having to pay for a doorman any time soon--there was a definite *rumble* when that was brought up. People were saying "if you wanted a doorman, you should've moved into a building that *had* a doorman." Considering that we all had to go through *considerable* financial due diligence to get these apartments, and also considering we can't realize any kind of profit for quite some time because this is affordable housing, I will laugh at anyone who pushes for doormen (which really means 4-5 doormen--3 8-hour shifts a day, and people get two days off a week). Not gonna happen.

I think this is a good board for the first year, although I'm not sure why the systems analyst was elected. But frankly most of the nominees seemed really qualified--I hope most of them decide to run again! I'm very optimistic. Hope we can have some all-building social events soon!

Old 08-01-2013, 03:57 AM

131 posts, read 338,195 times
Exciting first Board meeting. I came from meeting feeling very optimistic also. I was also impressed by most of the nominees. As far as the newly elected board, I was more impressed with their community passion and their background with working in the community more than with their job titles. I think that's what came across more in their presentations than what they do, at least thats what came across for me. And this is just the beginning, and imho, I think we are off to a good start.

Last edited by Soontobehomeowner; 08-01-2013 at 04:09 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 AM

184 posts, read 334,288 times
If ANYONE wants the board position I say good luck & good bless! Their career positions do not equate the 10%, if it did they wouldn't have qualified to live here. I came late to the meeting but walked away with no opinion. however I am anti-doorman...it's a waste of $$$ at this point (ok so I do have an opinion). However if other doorman buildings appear in the neighborhood and it shows it increases resale value then it's worth visiting at that time.
I feel that no real changes to rules, finances etc should be made for the first year so we can all see what works and what does not.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM

42 posts, read 80,898 times
Congrats to La Celia Shareholders in selecting a board. As a shareholder at Via Verde, I read through these posts frequently to get some insight on your progress. It is quite interesting reading the[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]similarities and differences [/SIZE][SIZE=3]of [/SIZE]what we went through, "Via Verde Shareholders" compared to the shareholders of La Celia.

.......I wanted to comment on these posts sooner, but wanted you all to sort through all your ordeals yourselves as we did.

I'm glad everything is working out for all of you. I wish all of you well.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:08 AM

36 posts, read 56,692 times
Did anyone get their AC fixed for good????

Old 08-03-2013, 03:16 PM

26 posts, read 42,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
I don't think you need to worry about having to pay for a doorman any time soon--there was a definite *rumble* when that was brought up. People were saying "if you wanted a doorman, you should've moved into a building that *had* a doorman." Considering that we all had to go through *considerable* financial due diligence to get these apartments, and also considering we can't realize any kind of profit for quite some time because this is affordable housing, I will laugh at anyone who pushes for doormen (which really means 4-5 doormen--3 8-hour shifts a day, and people get two days off a week). Not gonna happen.

I think this is a good board for the first year, although I'm not sure why the systems analyst was elected. But frankly most of the nominees seemed really qualified--I hope most of them decide to run again! I'm very optimistic. Hope we can have some all-building social events soon!
I think it is great that we have a lawyer on the board, someone involved in the community and someone who is incredibly social. This should translate into three people who can interact/solve many problems in different ways.

I asked about the cost of a 24-hour doorman ONLY so that everyone in the room could understand the implications of that decision before going to the board and starting to request a doorman. As others have brought up it was incredibly difficult for many to stretch their budgets to purchase their first home. Adding a yearly expense of $150,000+ (which equates to roughly $100/month per shareholder) for something that is not a need is a reckless move, at least for now. And having a doorman during the daytime (M-F) is $50,000+ to probably accept 10 or so packages a day and not do much else. Doesn't seem like a sound decision to me.

In addition to being impressed by the board election I also was impressed by how much the developer seemed proud of the building. Also Ryan from PWB seemed to be invested in the building as well. I feel like there is alot going right with the way things are shaping up.

It was also great to see so many of my neighbors at the meeting. Everyone seems excited and proud to be here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery