Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 41,436 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have been living with my parents in a NYCHA apartment and going to school for awhile now. I am on the leese and have not left yet because I couldn't afford to move out. I recently got a part time job and would like to transfer out of my parents apartment into a single NYCHA apartment of my own. How do I go about transferring out? Also, does any one know how long it might take for them to transfer me to another apartment? I don't want to burden my parents with higher rent rates because I am pulling in extra income and its time that I move out on my own. I would appreciate any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I love that you believe you are "moving out on your own." That is not what you are doing...you are moving into another apt subsidized by the city/government...so you are shifting your burden from your parents to the city/government. Yay! How about instead of doing that, you wait until you actually can move out on your own..and by that I mean support yourself and not just move onto government programs! Crazy huh?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:39 PM

First of all If you can read and comprehend I stated that I cannot afford to move out on my own and do not wish to burden my family. I am paying taxes for this very thing. I need a little help until I can afford my own apartment which will be sooner rather than later because I am going to school to better myself. I am no lazy woman living off the govt! Instead of bashing me how about you mind your business and let people who actually have a answer to my question answer.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:53 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Uh-oh, "mind your business." There is is. Such a telling response.

It indicates that the poster has no idea whose business it ACTUALLY is, which in turn indicates a certain mind-set. This came up quite frequently on a few other threads, where it was the common response to comments and the implied criticisms that initiated denial immediately: "mind your business," "take care of you and don't worry about me," etc.

Keep in mind the "public" in the phrase "public housing." Some people simply fail to grasp this concept. Why is that ?

The "mind your business" people raised a huge fuss when Jeffery Canada began to build a charter school on projects grounds, land that they argued was "theirs," and that they needed to retain for "barbecues and weddings" (and I quote). Many pointed out that the land was, in fact, an opportunity-laden haven for drug dealers and unsupervised, destructive adolescents and much more fun. This was well known and Canada is building his school as we speak. But I digress.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:30 PM

It would be nice if someone would answer my question instead of going on and on with their judgments. I understand its PUBLIC housing and I hope someone is not as judgemental towards you both when and if you ever need a little help/support. I work and pay taxes and I will use the resources that are out there if I need the help! I am not ashamed. Now can someone kindly answer my question? Thanks

Old 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
I have mixed feelings about welfare. On one hand I do believe that a highly civilized society will care about its most vulnerable citizens, but on the other I feel like people sometimes become too complacent with their financial situation and don't want to help themselves. It's hard to hard to make such programs work when they become an "inheritance" that's passed on over generations. There needs to be a change of mentality, otherwise, those arguing for the dismantlement of such programs as government spending waste will likely sway public opinion in the future.

OP the right thing for you to to do is to stay living with your parents.
Ideally you live frugally, are saving as much money as possible and have a serious commitment to finishing your degree and become a contributing member of society.
If you do that, soon enough you'll be on your way to having a place, that you can actually call your own.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 14,948 times
Does anyone know anything about williamsburg houses, wyckoff gardens (including 574 warren st & atlantic terminal) or which is "better" because i currently live in nycha brownsville and i want to transfer to a better neighborhood. Thanks

Old 06-12-2012, 04:40 PM

What I want to do is transfer to another NYCHA apartment so that my parents rent is not raised and I can continue to pay for my classes. I am almost done with my degree and am looking to live at this apartment a year or less. Does anyone know the transfer process?? That's what I need help with.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post

OP the right thing for you to to do is to stay living with your parents.
Ideally you live frugally, are saving as much money as possible and have a serious commitment to finishing your degree and become a contributing member of society.
If you do that, soon enough you'll be on your way to having a place, that you can actually call your own.
I agree, especially about completing your schooling.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc31 View Post
What I want to do is transfer to another NYCHA apartment so that my parents rent is not raised and I can continue to pay for my classes. I am almost done with my degree and am looking to live at this apartment a year or less. Does anyone know the transfer process?? That's what I need help with.
Maybe you should ask at the management office.All you will get here are opinions and there will be many of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery