Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:24 PM

9 posts, read 83,547 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've read this forum for quite some time but just joined yesterday. I currently live in the BX with my boyfriend and have been applying to numerous "affordable" housing lotteries since we can't stand the building we live in. After I've submitted my credit check fees and documentation, I have been denied to all of them. What's more infuriating is that I now have these inquiries on my report, which has reduced my score . Needless to say, I'm over it. Lol! On the other hand, my boyfriend applied to one (without me on the app) and has been called for an interview 2 weeks after he applied. The interview was this week. He brought all of the required documents but mentioned that it wasn't really an interview but more of a document collection/verification. They told him to come back with a copy of a bank statement next week. What happens next? Do they deny or let you know if you progress to another interview on the spot? Another concern is that in the event he does get the apartment, I won't be able to live there since including me on the application would disqualify him completely. If I were to move in, would his rent go up or would he lose the apartment completely? How do the verify household size after approval?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM

25 posts, read 88,411 times
You have to check your credit and find out which are the reasons for the denial; so, if your credit is not good you can start working on it. If your boyfriend applied by himself, you can't live there. Maybe after he signs the lease, when the time comes for the renewal, he could try to include you, but it is up to the management office whether to approve it or not.
But I could tell you, this process takes time. You and your boyfriend need a lot of patience. Depending which building you have applied, but sometimes the process could take more than 6 months.
They constantly collect documents for updates and verify that you still qualify. It all depends, some lotteries are very easy and quick.
My advise: be patient and persistent.
Good luck.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the info Manuel0509. I was denied because of income. All we can do is wait...

Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
CeeCee,

If he gets in it's his apartment.
If you move in with him you are a guest but if long term he will have to include your income next year. They can probably raise his rent, but may not, and it will still be affordable... but they will not throw him and you out.

Be cool with it...don't move in until he is in the place for a couple months.
Make it look like you just met and fell in love.

Be pretty sure that if you break up, you can wind up needing to find a place to live.

How do they verify household size? Often by annual inspections.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:16 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times
If its an 80/20 building watch out because in the interview they ask you numerous times who will be living there and if your sure you listed everyone on the application. Then they say if you at anytime are found with someone else living with you you will be terminated from the program.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:20 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
Then they say if you at anytime are found with someone else living with you you will be terminated from the program.
Ouch!

Old 08-25-2012, 09:14 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
If its an 80/20 building watch out because in the interview they ask you numerous times who will be living there and if your sure you listed everyone on the application. Then they say if you at anytime are found with someone else living with you you will be terminated from the program.
from what I understand, a second wage earner can be added later but there are tons of papers to submit and forms to sign. And the rent goes up using a special NYS table for this scenario. Try to Google DHCR second wage earner

Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I will Google the info although our salaries combined may pose an issue. I will keep you guys posted on the outcome!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 15,645 times
Default HPD Approval NYc Lottery

Hi,
I applied for the lottery (6/2012) and was given an interview (10-2012)to bring in my documents. I gave the interviewer all of my documents. A week later I called the interviewer and asked what was the next step. The interviewer provided me with a building and an apartment number of the apartment that I will be given.

Apparently my file is being reviewed by the tax specfialist. She said afer her superviser approves my file it will be sent to HPD for apporval.

Have anyone gone through this process? How long did it take for HPD to apporve? How long after did you move in? Please provide details on your process.

Please ONLY ANSWERS for people who have gotten a apartment through the lottery process. I dont need anyone making suggestions I want people who has totally expereinced this and is currently living in one of the developments.

Thank you.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:54 AM

158 posts, read 304,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
from what I understand, a second wage earner can be added later but there are tons of papers to submit and forms to sign. And the rent goes up using a special NYS table for this scenario. Try to Google DHCR second wage earner
In my experience I moved in with my girl friend several years after she had a 80/20 apt and we did need some paperwork but my income did not change the rent even after we were married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery