Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2022, 10:48 AM

135 posts, read 198,549 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been asked to provide SS card as part of the application process before viewing or having the eligibility interview? I found this odd- as I understand these are steps to be taken before your file is sent to HPD.

This has been requested and the feedback was that my file has to go to HPD with all this information before I can view or be offered a unit.

Secondly , from the handbook, my understanding is that you have the option of providing a years worth rental payment or opt in for credit check. Not provide both.

Grateful for any views or related experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 11:04 AM

524 posts, read 509,108 times
The SS card is standard on all housing connect applications. just make sure you are only submitting it through the portal. They ask for it during the documents process which is before you view. They want to ensure you are who you say you are and view it before you can tour or are offered a unit and just because you submit documents does not mean you will get a tour or the apartment.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:09 AM

135 posts, read 198,549 times
Thanks for the response. I found it strange as I have been processed for at least 4 buildings on HC and I have never been asked for SS until I viewed , was interviewed and was offered an apartment .

Maybe this is dependent on the agency processing.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:18 AM

524 posts, read 509,108 times
Oh wow, was that through the old housing connect? I haven't gotten an apartment yet but have been asked to submit documents like 6 times and they all had it.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:22 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,841,345 times
SS is part of the initial documents requested.

Here's the list of documents that the HC 2.0 asked to submit through the portal that I got on 27 May 2022 via their automatic email: [Look at point #7 - bolded]

1. Applicants have the choice of either providing 12 months of complete rent payments or consenting to a credit review. If found eligible, you will be asked which option you would like to proceed with.
2. Copies of birth certificates for all minors in the household
3. Copies of last 4-6 most recent consecutive pay stubs, OR Employment Verification Form (Attachment I-3) filled out in its entirety.
4. Copies of last year’s W-2 forms (all pages).
5. Copies of picture ID for all persons over 18 (examples: driver’s license, passport, Military ID, NYC Municipal ID, non-driver ID)
6. Copies of signed & completed most recent year’s federal and state tax returns, including all schedules
7. Copies of Social Security cards or Tax ID (ITIN) for each person in the household
8. If paid in cash, proof of cash payments, provide notarized letters from employers and/or bank statements that support deposits
9. Last six most recent Checking account statements
10. Most recent statement for all other investment accounts, i.e. 401K, IRA, 403b, 414H, NYCERS
11. Most recent statements for any other deposit accounts, i.e. savings, money markets, e-banking such as Venmo/Cashapp/Paypal

Old 08-19-2022, 12:11 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,577,379 times
They use the SS number to establish your identity and to look for additional bank accounts and real estate registered to you.

Old 08-19-2022, 03:14 PM

191 posts, read 200,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post
The SS card is standard on all housing connect applications. just make sure you are only submitting it through the portal. They ask for it during the documents process which is before you view. They want to ensure you are who you say you are and view it before you can tour or are offered a unit and just because you submit documents does not mean you will get a tour or the apartment.
Hey, I previously submitted my documents via portal, then someone from management reached out via email stating I was “missing docs”, I had to send docs back through email. She was requesting the same documents I uploaded. After sending her via email, she then again requested more doc via email, at that point I told her all documents she is requesting I already uploaded. She was able to download from the portal after I got frustrated. She gave me an appt to view the apt after that (which I turned down). My question is why didn’t she get the information from the portal? Why did she reach out and wanted me to send via email? Is this a normal practice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: