Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 09:59 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times

Advertisements

I am recently unemployed and actively seeking work. One of my biggest concerns is the possibility of being offered a job that I didn't particularly care for. This is generally not an issue if you're employed, because nobody is obligated to accept a job offer. But when you're out of work and have no idea when the next offer might come, it seems like it would be a bad move to turn it down, not to mention my unemployment benefits could be stopped.

The basis for this concern is that I'm constantly coming across jobs that seem like good fits for me, but where the company has several sub-par reviews from employees, or maybe the pay is low, the hours are bad, or the commute really far. There's a lot I'd be willing to accept for a great job, but I never want to feel like I settled and now I'm stuck. Once I have a job, continuing to search for something better becomes near-impossible, so ideally the first offer I get is one that I'm excited about vs. one where I feel like I'm saying yes just to have a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 10:05 AM

482 posts, read 885,332 times
I've taken jobs I didn't want because I knew my existing position was in jeopardy (company buyout, company downsizing, etc.) I've also taken a job with a huge pay cut when I was laid off, as I didn't have many options. You can always take a job and quit soon after when something better comes along. Having a paycheck vs. not is the most important. You can make any miserable job temporary. Now, I wouldn't jump to desperate measures within a month or so of working a job, say making $75k a year, then going to work at Target as a cashier. That type of desperation only comes after an extensive length of time without any prospects and you totally run out of money.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:00 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
if you are getting UI benefits, then only apply for jobs you want.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:25 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I am recently unemployed and actively seeking work. One of my biggest concerns is the possibility of being offered a job that I didn't particularly care for. This is generally not an issue if you're employed, because nobody is obligated to accept a job offer. But when you're out of work and have no idea when the next offer might come, it seems like it would be a bad move to turn it down, not to mention my unemployment benefits could be stopped.

The basis for this concern is that I'm constantly coming across jobs that seem like good fits for me, but where the company has several sub-par reviews from employees, or maybe the pay is low, the hours are bad, or the commute really far. There's a lot I'd be willing to accept for a great job, but I never want to feel like I settled and now I'm stuck. Once I have a job, continuing to search for something better becomes near-impossible, so ideally the first offer I get is one that I'm excited about vs. one where I feel like I'm saying yes just to have a job.
I'm in a similar boat at the moment.

My philosphy is:

1. reflect on the minimum viable job for you - what is the pay/role/environment/commute that you will take and be mostly happy with, but know you will have to compromise on something. This is the good enough job for you.
2. figure out your market value - what is the likelihood you'll get the job you really want
3. understand when you have to start working again, what is your drop dead date, and what is your ideal date?
4. what are some jobs that you know you will absolutely get offers for, and can serve as a backup.

And here is how the decision making is working for me:

I've got my list of minimum viable criteria. I have target pay, target company size/stage, and a job title. I have some aspirational jobs I think I might be able to get one, but it is a stretch. I would ideally like to start working again in early March. and my drop dead and take a backup opportunity is let's say May 1st. I also know what title I can take and I am pretty much a shoo-in for, but the roles may not pay as much as I want. But the pay would be workable. And I have some potential ways to get into consulting.

So based on all these things, I am applying to A, B, and C level jobs, and trying to secure as many interviews as possible in a short period of time, to hopefully have some choices. If things aren't looking super promising at the end of next week, and I don't have any offers in hand that meet my MVP, then I'll start looking at my backup options.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:45 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post

As for unemployment, you don't have to take a job offer for lower pay, unless there is something unique going on in your state. For example, if you were making $100K and are unemployed and you are given an offer for $75K, you don't have to take it because it was below what you are making. There are other reasons not to take the job too, it might be too far away from you, etc. The unemployed forum has more exact advice about this.

As for just taking anything that comes along, don't do this if you can afford not to. I know some people will tell you math wise it is better to be employed than unemployed, but if your career shows it isn't at least staying the same or progressing that hurts you in the long run. And let's not forget you will be working there 40 hours a week, every week for years, so you need to feel you want to go to work each day.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:14 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Everyone's situation is different. You have to do what is right for you. In that sense, if you can hold off financially to find the "right" job, there's nothing wrong with it. Or, working a job to pay the bills until you find something more to your liking is fine as well. Just be sure to think it through and understand how each will impact you.

Just my .02.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:19 PM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
if you are getting UI benefits, then only apply for jobs you want.
I'll be collecting unemployment well into the summer, so I'm far from having financial worries right now.

As far as only applying for jobs I want, that's not always obvious. Sometimes a job seems great on paper, then you talk to the hiring manager and learn new information that turns you off. Or the complete opposite, you see a handful of poor reviews online, but the company ends up being a great fit for you. It's all a big gamble.

I'll ask about this on the unemployed forum as well. Right now, I'm in a position where I can turn down jobs that seem like a bad fit, so long as I know my UI benefits won't be cut off as a result.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:50 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
If the pay is low, counteroffer with what you think is acceptable and add 20%. They will yank the job offer and you never really refused it You're just another rejection. Your unemployment benefits would be safe.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:36 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
If the pay is low, counteroffer with what you think is acceptable and add 20%. They will yank the job offer and you never really refused it You're just another rejection. Your unemployment benefits would be safe.
That is true. Or you could scratch your butt during the interview and fart. But that may be an extreme solution

Old 02-20-2020, 06:22 AM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Unless there are literally hundreds of poor reviews online, I don't take them too seriously. As with most reviews, if someone is happy at work they are less inclined to go online and take the time to post a review as someone who is/was miserable with an axe to grind. Plus, you need to look no further than right here on the CD message boards to quickly understand what is important to you is likely not important to someone else (and vice versa). Some folks here claim to hate working from home, whereas I hate an office environment. Someone who posted a poor review online in a large corporation may have been in some lowly call center job with a jerk manager with long hours, whereas you'd be hired into a more senior role with a completely different person managing you at a well salaried role. See what I mean about differences? Take those online reviews with a grain of salt. I know of one guy at my former company who went on one of those salary/review websites who posted dozens and dozens of poor reviews. He admitted it to me and you could tell from reading through them it was the same person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment