Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 06:45 AM

1,093 posts, read 582,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Unless there are literally hundreds of poor reviews online, I don't take them too seriously. As with most reviews, if someone is happy at work they are less inclined to go online and take the time to post a review as someone who is/was miserable with an axe to grind. Plus, you need to look no further than right here on the CD message boards to quickly understand what is important to you is likely not important to someone else (and vice versa). Some folks here claim to hate working from home, whereas I hate an office environment. Someone who posted a poor review online in a large corporation may have been in some lowly call center job with a jerk manager with long hours, whereas you'd be hired into a more senior role with a completely different person managing you at a well salaried role. See what I mean about differences? Take those online reviews with a grain of salt. I know of one guy at my former company who went on one of those salary/review websites who posted dozens and dozens of poor reviews. He admitted it to me and you could tell from reading through them it was the same person.
I completely agree with you on this, which is why I will always go through with an interview before making up my mind on what type of workplace it might be. As an example, I have a friend who works for the government making a very over-inflated salary, and so when he talks about jobs that "don't pay well," it's radically different from what I think.

However, if the overall rating is less than a 3, that does suggest some level of unhappiness among the majority who voted.

I don't base my opinions completely on these sites, though. My next interview is twice as far from home as my last job, and I get the sense that the nature of the work is different than what I expected when I applied. That's the main reason I posted here. I can handle one negative aspect of a new job, but not three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 08:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I am recently unemployed and actively seeking work. One of my biggest concerns is the possibility of being offered a job that I didn't particularly care for. This is generally not an issue if you're employed, because nobody is obligated to accept a job offer. But when you're out of work and have no idea when the next offer might come, it seems like it would be a bad move to turn it down, not to mention my unemployment benefits could be stopped.

The basis for this concern is that I'm constantly coming across jobs that seem like good fits for me, but where the company has several sub-par reviews from employees, or maybe the pay is low, the hours are bad, or the commute really far. There's a lot I'd be willing to accept for a great job, but I never want to feel like I settled and now I'm stuck. Once I have a job, continuing to search for something better becomes near-impossible, so ideally the first offer I get is one that I'm excited about vs. one where I feel like I'm saying yes just to have a job.
Why are you applying to jobs that don't meet your qualifications? Apply only to the jobs you want.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why are you applying to jobs that don't meet your qualifications? Apply only to the jobs you want.
Sometimes it's not until you interview that you realize the job is not for you. It could sound ideal on paper, but there's a lot the job posting doesn't tell you.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:47 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
Assuming this is a true question, if I didn’t have a job, no way in the world I would turn something down because of some online review. With no income it would be crazy to turn something down based on online reviews.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Sometimes it's not until you interview that you realize the job is not for you. It could sound ideal on paper, but there's a lot the job posting doesn't tell you.
You can ask many of your questions before agreeing to the interview. It's perfectly acceptable to ask about location, is it normal business hours, or float your minimum salary figure.

Of course if you really need the job,, I'm sure you'll take it anyway.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:48 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times
Quote:
I am recently unemployed and actively seeking work. One of my biggest concerns is the possibility of being offered a job that I didn't particularly care for. This is generally not an issue if you're employed, because nobody is obligated to accept a job offer. But when you're out of work and have no idea when the next offer might come, it seems like it would be a bad move to turn it down, not to mention my unemployment benefits could be stopped.

The basis for this concern is that I'm constantly coming across jobs that seem like good fits for me, but where the company has several sub-par reviews from employees, or maybe the pay is low, the hours are bad, or the commute really far. There's a lot I'd be willing to accept for a great job, but I never want to feel like I settled and now I'm stuck. Once I have a job, continuing to search for something better becomes near-impossible, so ideally the first offer I get is one that I'm excited about vs. one where I feel like I'm saying yes just to have a job.
If you are offered a job you did not apply for or is not at the pay you are seeking, you can move on to other opportunities. If the company did have the position you want and did not have any openings, I would consider it not hiring at the present.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Assuming this is a true question, if I didn’t have a job, no way in the world I would turn something down because of some online review. With no income it would be crazy to turn something down based on online reviews.
I wouldn't either. I just mentioned that as an example.

My whole point of starting this topic is fear of regret. For example, the idea that I would accept an average job just to be working, and soon after be offered an interview at a fantastic place when it's too late to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment