Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,041 times

Advertisements

I have a question regarding apartment hunting. I am looking for my first apartment and found a complex that I am interested in. I spoke with the apartment manager and had a good conversation with her. The only thing I could not do was view the actual apartment; she could only show me pictures of that the apartment would look like. This was in February, I took an application and left. I had some car troubles so I decided to post pone my hunting until it was sorted out.

Now I am back and turned in my application, I was approved and the unit wouldn’t be available until mid-July. It appears this is a popular complex as there is never a “vacancy” (an apartment that sits empty). She wanted me to put down a security deposit to take the apartment off the market. But I did not want to do that until I’ve at least seen the actual apartment first. She said it’s not possible as a tenant is still there.

Is this normal practice? I have no problem with putting down a security deposit, but the security deposit is only refundable for 3 days, then after that it’s up to the apartment’s discretion on refunding it. My main concern is when I finally view the apartment (which she said would more than likely be closer to July), if I do not like it, then I am out a security deposit. And of course being a popular complex, someone else would have already put down deposit and taken the unit off the market by then.

Do apartment complexes not show the apartment while current tenants are still there? Even if they give the tenant notice before a viewing takes place. Kind of like when buying a home you view the home even with the current owners still living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I've never heard of putting in an application for an apartment which you haven't personally been able to look at, let alone paying a security deposit under the circumstances you describe. Apartments are shown all the time with tenants still living in them. Maybe others will have different opinions but I find this very fishy and wouldn't put down a security deposit until I was personally able to see the apartment. Hope it works out for you.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:49 PM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I've never heard of putting in an application for an apartment which you haven't personally been able to look at, let alone paying a security deposit under the circumstances you describe. Apartments are shown all the time with tenants still living in them. Maybe others will have different opinions but I find this very fishy and wouldn't put down a security deposit until I was personally able to see the apartment. Hope it works out for you.
This. One million percent.

If there ever was a set-up for a bait-n-switch, this is it.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I totally agree, I would not do this.

However, if you really want the apartment, and this is the only way they will do it, I would ask for a written document signed by both of you that says that all your money remains refundable until you have seen and approved the apartment, and you can withdraw at any time until then, and receive all your money back. Then I MIGHT consider it.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:54 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
We have paid a small non-refundable holding fee to take a unit off the market for us. If I recall correctly, it was $100, and that amount was applied to the amount due at move-in, so in the end it actually cost us nothing. This was to hold an apartment scheduled for move-out. Although we had seen the model unit, we did insist on viewing the actual unit which would be ours before we signed the lease paperwork on move-in day, everything worked out fine and we still live there. No way would I pay the entire deposit up front and sight unseen, but I am OK with a small payment to demonstrate good faith. I have rented in various large complexes for many years and have NEVER been shown a unit with tenants still in it, nor would I want to.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:59 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I'm not sure I have ever seen the actual apartment I was renting before signing a lease. It was always a model.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
We've done this in a major apartment complex, the unit was to be renovated before we moved in so we couldn't see the actual one but saw an already updated one. Needless to say it wasn't as shown, it was close but they did a real rush job and it showed. But yes you should only pay a hold fee, the full deposit (if applicable) shouldn't be due until you sign the lease.

I have however had in all my leases that I must make the unit available for showing once notice has been given, which I have always been happy to do.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
We have paid a small non-refundable holding fee to take a unit off the market for us. If I recall correctly, it was $100, and that amount was applied to the amount due at move-in, so in the end it actually cost us nothing. This was to hold an apartment scheduled for move-out. Although we had seen the model unit, we did insist on viewing the actual unit which would be ours before we signed the lease paperwork on move-in day, everything worked out fine and we still live there. No way would I pay the entire deposit up front and sight unseen, but I am OK with a small payment to demonstrate good faith. I have rented in various large complexes for many years and have NEVER been shown a unit with tenants still in it, nor would I want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm not sure I have ever seen the actual apartment I was renting before signing a lease. It was always a model.
The issue here is that the OP is being asked to pay a security deposit which is only refundable for three days during which time he still isn't able to see the actual apartment. I'd likely consider taking sight unseen an apartment in, for instance, the Trump Tower but I'd never in general put up non-refundable money for an apartment I can't see.

I've been both a LL and a tenant for many, many years and have both shown and been shown both occupied and unoccupied spaces. As a renter I've been shown occupied places where the tenants are complete slobs where tidiness is concerned but I can overlook clutter. Downright dirt, filth and obvious damage I don't overlook as this indicates a LL who doesn't give a damn. Anyway, I digress but in this case I do think the OP has a right to be very concerned and should tread most carefully.

If he does approach the LL with Lacerta's suggestion, I hope he'll come back to the thread and advise how that went down!

Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,041 times
I ended up calling again to confirm a little bit more info about the apartment. I ask her again if there was anyway I could view the apartment beforehand; even suggested setting up an appointment that the current tenant was okay with to view the apartment. She wouldn't budge.

She again told me they don't show the units until the current tenant has left and they had a chance to clean it up and "make it pretty". She did say however I could pay half of the deposit and still take it off the market, but again it's still something I still would have to think about. And by the time the apartment is ready to be shown, more than likely, someone else have already came by and put down a deposit, so it wouldn't even be available to me anymore to view.

It was just very confusing to me because this is the first complex like this. The last one I viewed (downtown midrise building) wouldn't even give me an application until I viewed the apartment. The one before that one, they too have a full occupancy, but the only change is they don't want any type of deposit until I've viewed the unit (I'm currently on the waitlist for this one).

Thanks for your insights and suggestions. I have a feeling I'm going to have to let this one go, I have to go with my gut feeling.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM

Good for you, wise decision, look elsewhere. All the best and do let us concerned posters know how it all works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting