Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:21 PM

127 posts, read 293,926 times

Advertisements

Lease terms state that the landlord has 30 days from when we moved out to give us both a list of damages and the remaining security deposit. My question is does this refer to a postmark date? I imagine delivery date can be hard to uphold, given the "whims" of a mail carrier service. All I'm able to find is that the first day is excluded and the last is included in computation of time. If the last day falls on a weekend or holiday, the termination date of the time period falls to the following day.

This is for Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,182 times
I'm pretty sure the postmarked date is what counts.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Yes, the date mailed.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzbone227 View Post
Lease terms state that...
Sorta.

The lease echo's the LAW that requires the LL to return the SD within 30 days --OR--
to provide an accounting of why some or all of that money is being withheld.
This notice can also include *additional* charges if damages or costs exceed the SD.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Sorta.

The lease echo's the LAW that requires the LL to return the SD within 30 days --OR--
to provide an accounting of why some or all of that money is being withheld.
This notice can also include *additional* charges if damages or costs exceed the SD.
From the lease itself, "Notices and Information":

"When a lease is ended, Landlord has 30 days to give Tenant a written list of any damage to the property that Landlord claims Tenant is responsible for. If the cost to repair the damage is less than the amout of the Security Deposit being held, Landlord must return the amount of the deposit not behing held back to fix those damages when the list is provided, along with any additional interest that has not yet been paid to Tenant. If damages are more than the amount of the Security Deposit plus interest, Landlord may keep the entire Secrity Deposit. Landlord may not keep any of the security deposit to cover damages if a list of damages is not given to Tenant within that 30 day period. If Landlord doesn't return Tenant's Security Deposit within 30 days of the end of the Lease, Tenant may sue and Landlord may be required to pay Tenant up to twice the amount of the portion of the security deposit that should have been returned. It is the responsibility of Tenant to give landlord his/her new address after the lease is ended."

Old 05-21-2013, 01:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
The law doesn't appear to be clear whether the security deposit needs to be postmarked or actually received in 30 days. I wouldn't expect to win in court with a returned deposit that is postmarked within 30 days, though.

I did find a Texas law website that said it just has to be postmarked within 30 days. So, it would seem to be reasonable.

If your landlord is smart, he'll send it with delivery confirmation or proof of mailing.

Here's a PA Legal Services booklet on L/T law:

http://www.palawhelp.org/files/A50D4..._LLTPacket.pdf

Here's their website if you want legal advice:

http://www.palawhelp.org/

Old 05-23-2013, 01:28 PM

396 posts, read 1,851,763 times
I once had a former LL mail back my security deposit to the address where I once lived four years earlier when I first applied for that aptmt. (He had my forwarding address on the check-out sheet as requested by him at our final walk-through).

Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
I once had a former LL mail back my security deposit to the address where I once lived four years earlier when I first applied for that aptmt. (He had my forwarding address on the check-out sheet as requested by him at our final walk-through).
Oh, now, that was just mean.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:21 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
You have to go by post mark date since otherise someone can fake a date in a letter and mail it a week later! On top of that a judge will not look at one or 2 days later since the mail can be delivered later than the stamp is stating...

If you are trying to get away with suing someone just because of the 30 days...than forget about it, it comes down to more than 1 day late.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You have to go by post mark date since otherise someone can fake a date in a letter and mail it a week later! On top of that a judge will not look at one or 2 days later since the mail can be delivered later than the stamp is stating...

If you are trying to get away with suing someone just because of the 30 days...than forget about it, it comes down to more than 1 day late.
Are you saying that as a real estate agent wishing a tenant wouldn't do it to a client of yours, with any substance behind it? One would think the law is the law...if it says 30 days and that was not adhered to, especially in this case by a LL that is a RE agent, then that's what matters, and especially when buffer days were given to account for postage...and it's postmarked past 30 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting