Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 02:07 PM

603 posts, read 598,964 times

Advertisements

The best example of different layouts, finishes, and appliances would be One Boerum. The market-rate apartments look amazing. The affordable apartments look fine, just not amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 06:27 PM

453 posts, read 497,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
The best example of different layouts, finishes, and appliances would be One Boerum. The market-rate apartments look amazing. The affordable apartments look fine, just not amazing.
Thanks for this - I just spent some time going through the One Boerum Place thread. I saw some floorplans etc. I will admit I will forever be baffled by NYC Real Estate floor space calculations - an apartment will claim to be 950 square feet, for example, but then I can see clearly on the floor plan that the apartment is 30 x 20 feet, so 600 square feet. And it is like this for every floor apartment I have seen advertised here (lottery, streeteasy, whatever) - once I add up the numbers the size is 1/3 to 40% lower than what they claim it to be. It is totally bizarre to me - like everyone is in on the lie, even the people apartment-hunting. None of the one beds or even 2 beds are anywhere near what 1BP claim they are once you crunch the numbers.

Anyway, random non-sequitur really, I know. If anyone can explain to me whether it is just a widely accepted scam or whether I've been doing math wrong my entire life, I would appreciate it! lol

Old 02-27-2022, 10:37 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Fantastic! That's really good to know, thank you
it definitively depends on the building. the apartments appliance package might cost waaay lower in value than market tenants. so while MR get all Bosch everything, with a built in microwave drawer, affordable might get all GE or Frigidaire appliances, with a overhead microwave

Last edited by HellUpInHarlem; 02-27-2022 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-27-2022, 11:28 AM

15 posts, read 15,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
it definitively depends on the building. the apartments appliance package might cost waaay lower in value than market tenants. so while MR get all Bosch everything, with a built in microwave drawer, affordable might get all GE or Frigidaire appliances, with a overhead microwave
a perfect example of this take a look at the 111 Varick lottery pictures vs pictures on their site or youtube. It's not even clear if the lottery apts have washer/dryer

Old 02-27-2022, 03:59 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Also, when I went to view another apartment at Coney Island, all of the market rate apartments had views and balconies to the ocean whilst the lottery ones had views to an elevated train.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:25 AM

18 posts, read 12,855 times
At 5Pointz in LIC the lottery units mostly have the same finishes and appliances as the market rate units. They appear to be evenly spread out between the two towers of the building and have equal access to the amenities. Easier to justify in a 130% AMI building I wager.

That said, the layouts and locations (floor #) of the lottery units are definitely lesser than the available market rate units.

Afaik the lottery units are all located below the 20th floor or so. Apartments with views of the courtyard and 7 train tend to be spread out on higher floors because the extra height doesn’t make the view any better. Apartments with city views are confined to the lower floors. While there are many units with “normal†layouts, I’m sure that they reserved the apartments with compromised floor plans and layouts for the lottery as well.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:28 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr611 View Post
a perfect example of this take a look at the 111 Varick lottery pictures vs pictures on their site or youtube. It's not even clear if the lottery apts have washer/dryer
they have a w/d

Old 03-01-2022, 11:32 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Also, when I went to view another apartment at Coney Island, all of the market rate apartments had views and balconies to the ocean whilst the lottery ones had views to an elevated train.
Wow, you were really serious about going that far out? this made me lol

Old 03-01-2022, 12:21 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Wow, you were really serious about going that far out? this made me lol
For an ocean view with a balcony, yes! I find it very therapeutic. Plus the building has parking for very cheap.

Old 03-01-2022, 12:40 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
For an ocean view with a balcony, yes! I find it very therapeutic. Plus the building has parking for very cheap.
I get it, nothing like being close to the water...ideal if working from home too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: