Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 03:44 PM

200 posts, read 219,446 times

Advertisements

OP appeared helpful at outset. As the thread progressed, there was very little solid information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 03:50 PM

34 posts, read 18,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbrazil View Post
Never been in a shelter, but I understand for some it can be a life saver.
Is 50 days usual, or is that considered quick (I know, not what this thread is about).

This thread was your first post. Have you been lurker or did you make a new name to be anonymous?

Have all your numbers been low, or have you had numbers in the thousands too?
I’ve seen some people receive a voucher in 2 weeks and I’ve seen people receive a voucher in 6 months. It depends on your case. It also has to deal with the individual being on their p’s and q’s. In my case I made sure that all of my I’s were dotted and my T’s were crossed.

I’ve been lurking on here since October 2023 to get a better sense of how the lottery process worked. From the time I started researching on here I knew that once my process was finalized I was going to share my process in hopes that it’ll help someone.

Surprisingly these were most if not all of my low numbers. I’ve applied to a plethora of developments and most of the log numbers were well over 30,000 and as high as 100,000. You may think that this is luck but it’s not. This is all of God’s work. This is a small part of the testimony.

Old 01-11-2024, 03:55 PM

86 posts, read 52,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernsoul7 View Post
I’ve seen some people receive a voucher in 2 weeks and I’ve seen people receive a voucher in 6 months. It depends on your case. It also has to deal with the individual being on their p’s and q’s. In my case I made sure that all of my I’s were dotted and my T’s were crossed.

I’ve been lurking on here since October 2023 to get a better sense of how the lottery process worked. From the time I started researching on here I knew that once my process was finalized I was going to share my process in hopes that it’ll help someone.

Surprisingly these were most if not all of my low numbers. I’ve applied to a plethora of developments and most of the log numbers were well over 30,000 and as high as 100,000. You may think that this is luck but it’s not. This is all of God’s work. This is a small part of the testimony.
You are awesome! I aspire to be this organized and prepared and have this much faith. Many congratulations to you.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiypo77 View Post
You are awesome! I aspire to be this organized and prepared and have this much faith. Many congratulations to you.
Thank you and with God anything is possible!

Old 01-11-2024, 04:15 PM

3,134 posts, read 2,729,934 times
Congrats! And I'm so glad you didn't have difficulties with the voucher. We hear a lot of sad stories around here.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:23 PM

147 posts, read 81,920 times
There was a story on the news about how buildings frequently turn people away with vouchers. Maybe OP can be a consultant! They are clearly knowledgeable and organized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Congrats! And I'm so glad you didn't have difficulties with the voucher. We hear a lot of sad stories around here.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:29 PM

147 posts, read 81,920 times
Southernsoul7, did you ever feel the agents were discouraging, or judgmental or disparaging? Or were they completely professional and honest the whole time?
What about your ami? I know that not all shelter residents are low income and may be there for so many reasons.
Does your building have a 'poor' door?

Old 01-11-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Thank you so much! Truth be told I’ve had a lot of difficulties with the voucher. Before I put all of my eggs in the lottery basket I was faithfully seeking apartments via StreetEasy. Every single unit that I viewed discriminated against me, EVERY LAST ONE! It was very hurtful seeing as though I’ve always been a great tenant every place that I lived in. My honest opinion is that they put voucher holders into one basket and so let judge them/us off of horrible previous experiences, not fair but I can somewhat understand. It got to a point that I was touring 6-10 units weekly and then to not even able to schedule a viewing. But I didn’t not let the discrimination discourage me. In September 2023 I began only applying to lottery units and it worked out.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
There was a story on the news about how buildings frequently turn people away with vouchers. Maybe OP can be a consultant! They are clearly knowledgeable and organized.
The discrimination is definitely real.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Southernsoul7, did you ever feel the agents were discouraging, or judgmental or disparaging? Or were they completely professional and honest the whole time?
What about your ami? I know that not all shelter residents are low income and may be there for so many reasons.
Does your building have a 'poor' door?
As soon as I mentioned the voucher I could see their entire soul shift, literally, whether that was in person or email. 130%AMI. This unit does not have a poor door from what I’ve seen, but the other buildings that I won do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery