Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
When you say "wait time" are you referring to the actual process from mailing out the application to the interview..or are you referring to being on the actual waiting list?
JKid84NYC, I did mean from time of actual application submission to first notification. I mean, I have a job as a retail store manager in Manhattan, but my salary does not allow me to afford any reasonable 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan. I am single and meet all the other financial and personal requirements. Thanks guys, I'm a newbie to this affordable housing thing.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:10 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furtickj View Post
JKid84NYC, I did mean from time of actual application submission to first notification. I mean, I have a job as a retail store manager in Manhattan, but my salary does not allow me to afford any reasonable 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan. I am single and meet all the other financial and personal requirements. Thanks guys, I'm a newbie to this affordable housing thing.
Oh ok then yea..like Emulator and I stated it can be anywhere from 5months to a 1yr maybe slightly longer..depending on certain things. But I would encourage you to monitor these 3 sites daily..different developments have different income requirements.

NYC Housing Development Corp.

HPD - Apartment Seekers

Apartments (http://www.phippsny.org/apartments.html - broken link)

Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 PM

270 posts, read 748,894 times
Hey Jkid, SO now i received another letter today for an INTERVIEW ! lol..speaking of time frame this was QUICK!.. i think i sent the application 2-3months ago tops! 550 WATKINS home its in east ny as well but for a brand new developments unlike my earlier post about a call for an apt in east ny which is a little farther in than this NEW one.. I dont think i have the luxury to keep turning down places due to the distance inconvenience anymore lol.. I figure if given the chance and we pass the interview this time..take it and keep applying for other stuff.. which i already have done ie: 440 w42nd st 350 west 37th st ( midtown west apts) and a bunch of others.. at least we'll have a place of our own, which we wont be stressed as we are now.. we also have NYCHA application going on as well ( 5 years on waiting list).. we stick it out in this place..( if we even get it lol) and keep applying

Old 08-13-2010, 12:46 AM

11 posts, read 18,495 times
Quote:
Yes...because when you hand in your paystubs they dont really seperate anything. They check the gross and add that up. Now they do calculate your income 2 different ways..one of course is the 6 paystubs, and the other is some sort of YTD sort of thing. But I believe (and dont quote me on this) they're obligated to take the higher of the 2. I also think the 6 paystubs for them hold more validity..I recall someone else on this board not too long ago getting denied because the 6 paystubs were over..but the YTD was spot on. NOT positive tho

I think this is especially going to be a problem for me...Why??? because I am a nursing student and my last semester ended around mid May and would resume Aug 26th. Of course I have been working a lot (and I mean A LOT) of over time--I need to pay my tuition, buy my books, buy an electronic stethoscope which cost $600+ because of the degree of my hearing --those cheaper brands are useless. Even though I am a part time student my class schedule is every day of the week this semester-- since I am in the Clinical now.

Right now I am going out of my mind on how I am going to fit everything. How am I going to revolve my work around my class, my Professor already warned those of us who have jobs last semester that this Fall semester is going to be crazy. it sucks so bad right now. I have to work, where am I going to live? I need a new place like yesterday. Any advice? I see so much negative out look in my case from what I read here. BUT I am going to remain positive.

The income calculation is not my only issue my husband and I are separated but not legally. I can prove that even if he is added to my application this may make it more favorable on my part because with my income and him added it could set me in a 1 bedroom instead of a studio.
Since I am the one who is working as he does not work.

But I cant stand one hair on this fool body right now--I want this apartment so bad... the rent is amazing ---all I have to do is double up my schedule on the weekend and work 2 week nights and I can concentrate fully on my class. The location is excellent for my work and school. The building is secured seeming that I am almost deaf and I really do need a safe place to live since I am alone right now. Most of my family are like 3 hours away from my job and school and that sucks.

Hey Jkid Good luck with your orientation..Tell us how it went..

Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 AM

28 posts, read 60,817 times
Congrats JKID84NYC on getting the apartment! I had my first interview a few weeks ago, and am basically waiting now. lol. Did you get a home visit? Ive been following your journey, sorry if you answered this already. I know johnjose said he didnt get one which was interesting.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:33 AM

270 posts, read 748,894 times
@Jkid (or anyone who can answer this):

..since we have now accepted you as the counselor on this thread I had a question for you..
Like I told you before, I got an interview coming up next thursday for " 550 Watkins Street" in Brownsville Brooklyn, NOt that excited about it..but I dont have the luxury of turning down opportunities right now. We decided we'll go thru with it and go take a look and see.. if its really meant for us. My plan would be , that if accepted to this one.. Live there so that we can at least have a place we can call our own and not have to worry about anybody kicking us out ( unless we dont pay rent of course lol), BUT to continue applying for more lotteries ( and also wait on NYCHA to see if they have a decent area to offer us as well, lower east side preferably ).

the question is: would future lotteries even give us a chance since we obtained this apt thru a lottery as well? will they possibly deny us, because we are not in " NEED"? thanks

Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 PM

I think im the perfect person right now to answer this !! LOL ! How ironic..

Well as all you guys know I was fortunate enough to be accepted for a studio apartment at Silver Towers. I went to orientation today..and to be perfect honest..I was EXTREMLY disappointed with the studio assigned to me. VERY tight !! So after they show you the apartment and the amenities your supposed to go back to RP1 (where we all interviewed) and inform them whether or not you would take the apartment...I chilled in the courtyard area for about 40mins weighing all of my pros and cons. Although I knew my chances of getting the "G" line apartment was slim..I had no idea I would end up with possibly the tightest of all the lines available. So I called those that I trust..my mother..older sister and my good friend. I wanted to come to a rational decision and not make one simply off of my emotions..because when you do that..you usually regret it later.

At the the end of some real debating with myself..I basically came to the same conclusion that your coming to grips with right now Emulator. It'll be something to call my own..i'll develop some good rent history..and i'll continue to look an see what else is out there. I already have applications sent out for several other developments..so I hope to hear from them by early next year.

So my advice to you is..take the apartment so at least that can be a weight off your shoulders and in the mean time continue to apply. You dont care for the neighborhood and I dont care for the space I have ! LOL ! Decisions..decisions..decisions !!

As for you last question..I dont think that would be an issue at all. Remember on the applications they usually as "why" and thats when you'll state your reasonsing..safety..need of bigger apt etc...

Old 08-13-2010, 01:54 PM

28 posts, read 60,817 times
Quote:
Thanks !!!! I truly appreciate it
Quote:
I think im the perfect person right now to answer this !! LOL ! How ironic..

Well as all you guys know I was fortunate enough to be accepted for a studio apartment at Silver Towers. I went to orientation today..and to be perfect honest..I was EXTREMLY disappointed with the studio assigned to me. VERY tight !! So after they show you the apartment and the amenities your supposed to go back to RP1 (where we all interviewed) and inform them whether or not you would take the apartment...I chilled in the courtyard area for about 40mins weighing all of my pros and cons. Although I knew my chances of getting the "G" line apartment was slim..I had no idea I would end up with possibly the tightest of all the lines available. So I called those that I trust..my mother..older sister and my good friend. I wanted to come to a rational decision and not make one simply off of my emotions..because when you do that..you usually regret it later.

At the the end of some real debating with myself..I basically came to the same conclusion that your coming to grips with right now Emulator. It'll be something to call my own..i'll develop some good rent history..and i'll continue to look an see what else is out there. I already have applications sent out for several other developments..so I hope to hear from them by early next year.

So my advice to you is..take the apartment so at least that can be a weight off your shoulders and in the mean time continue to apply. You dont care for the neighborhood and I dont care for the space I have ! LOL ! Decisions..decisions..decisions !!

As for you last question..I dont think that would be an issue at all. Remember on the applications they usually as "why" and thats when you'll state your reasonsing..safety..need of bigger apt etc...

Does your place look like this? This is one of the smaller apartments,though this particular one is market rate.

YouTube - SilverTowers.m4v

Old 08-13-2010, 02:04 PM

I loved that video !!! LOL !!

And yes..thats the "C" line I have the "D" line. But the set up is pretty much the same..only real difference is that has the flat kitchen an my line has the L-shaped kitchen. I have a lot of support fortunately..all my fam n friends say they're going to help me maximize the space.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 PM

apthunder..

If your still lurking..to my knowledge 2 people turned down their apartment offer. So you may still receive that phone call !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery