Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:13 PM

5 posts, read 7,878 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum but have been reading it on and off for the past few weeks and I am very impressed by the good info and advice being posted!!

I'm a 28 year old man from Ireland and I am just very tired and bored with the rut that I'm stuck in here in Cork. I've been working in the same public service job for the past ten years and I can't stay stuck in this rut anymore!!! A friend of mine from Cork was living and working in NYC for about 12 years and he came home for a while to work but went back last year (he has dual citizenship through marriage) and he was onto me to make the move over to the States. He would have a job lined up for me when I arrive and I can stay with him until I get a place of my own. The problem I have is, what are the REAL risks of getting deported and is life in NYC really as good as people say? I've spoken to a good few people who have spent time in NYC and everyone says it's a amazing and brilliant place to be.

Am I going to make a mistake by leaving my job here to go over or will I be making a grave mistake by not going and always wondering?

Thank you for any help/guidance ye can give me!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:20 PM

210 posts, read 173,596 times
wait on line and come here legally. we've got enough illegals here.

if u do happen to make it, chances of u gettin deported are slim. nyc is basically a sanctuary city.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:23 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,319,261 times
Oh yeah, the USA needs one more illegal sponge. Ever think of checking out the scene in England, France or Germany?

Old 06-13-2010, 11:58 PM

5 posts, read 7,878 times
I thought I said I would have a job therefore I wouldn't be a sponge. How could I sponge off the US if I'm illegal anyway???? I would be contributing to the ecomony for the entire time I would be there. I've tried but have not been successful in the last 2 Green Card lotteries, I would love to be going legally but it's near impossible....

Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,387 times
You should only consider migrating after requesting a leave of absence and gettin an approval. Try to secure a two year leave of absence, by ensuring you have something to go back to if your expectations are not met.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 AM

577 posts, read 1,762,258 times
Well if you come here and take a job one of the NUMEROUS unemployed could be doing.. that's where the problem is. Have you checked out the unemployment forum lately? Or all the posts about all the controversy about illegals in the US. If you are looking for positive feedback from americans on you coming here to live illegally... you are probably in the wrong place. Nothing personal but this kind of thread is very difficult to read with everything going on here in the US.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:04 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,078,488 times
I don't understand some of the hostility towards this guy. He is Irish and he wants to work,I would take him legally or not anytime Moderator cut: Inflammatory.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-15-2010 at 07:38 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 AM

9,253 posts, read 24,158,592 times
You will probably be fine and be surrounded by a good support network because the Irish do a good job of looking out for each other here.As long as you stay in NY or Boston I don't think you will run into any problems because that's where the best networks are.

The biggest problem might be getting trapped here if you overstay. Mod cut

There are a lot of Irish in NY and Boston who are trapped here because they overstayed years ago and are in a sort of no man's land.They may be happy and doing well here but they can't go home because just getting on a plane out once you have overstayed might get you on a list to not be allowed back in.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-15-2010 at 03:12 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 AM

9,253 posts, read 24,158,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Oh yeah, the USA needs one more illegal sponge.
A lot of the Irish illegals I know Mod cut work on the books and have taxes and social security deducted from every paycheck.They will never see a dime of that money because they don't file tax returns to get refunds and will never get social security.
Our government is fully aware that there are people doing this and look the other way because it's a good source of revenue.It's another form of "don't ask,don't tell".

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-15-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 AM

551 posts, read 1,582,095 times
10 years in a public sector job in Ireland probably means that you are a few years away from a pension .

I suggest that you keep plying the lottery route. It is much easier to be here and function under the radar if you are living modestly. Immigrants who are day laborers, house keepers, landscapers, etc. that pick up odd jobs that pay cash and live hand to mouth would be no better or worse off if they were here legally. But, it becomes harder to function further up the social ladder where you need bank accounts, cars, drivers licenses, insurance, etc. I have known quite a few professionals that were not here legally, and it did become a burden. Also, once you are here illegally, it is very hard to change that. Even if you later qualified for legal status (i.e., by marriage, lottery, etc.), your presence here will make that process difficult if not impossible.

That said, deportation is a relatively small risk, unless you get into trouble for a different reason. However, that could be something as simple as a traffic ticket. I did know a Japanese woman in her early 30s who was here illegally for 10 years (had a student visa and never left) -- she was picked up off the streets, held in prison in Florida for 2 months before being deported back to Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City