Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,643,544 times

Advertisements

To the OP: all "advice" in this thread to the contrary--with illegal immigration being such a hot issue these days, are you sure you want to announce your intentions publicly like this?

Old 06-14-2010, 01:08 PM

218 posts, read 742,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboyreilly View Post
I thought I said I would have a job therefore I wouldn't be a sponge. How could I sponge off the US if I'm illegal anyway???? I would be contributing to the ecomony for the entire time I would be there. I've tried but have not been successful in the last 2 Green Card lotteries, I would love to be going legally but it's near impossible....
Exactly... you said you'd have a job... a job that could otherwise go to someone who is here LEGALLY, and a US citizen right an' proper. To expect people to side with you when you pretty much come right out and say you're gonna be disobeyin' our laws to enter our nation and take a job away from us... that's a show of audacity.

What are you to be sayin' to those of us in America, who are citizens, who have been out of work for over a year, and have not been able to find work?

Old 06-14-2010, 01:41 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,105,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
Exactly... you said you'd have a job... a job that could otherwise go to someone who is here LEGALLY, and a US citizen right an' proper. To expect people to side with you when you pretty much come right out and say you're gonna be disobeyin' our laws to enter our nation and take a job away from us... that's a show of audacity.

What are you to be sayin' to those of us in America, who are citizens, who have been out of work for over a year, and have not been able to find work?
But there are always two sides to the story.
A couple of a cousin's kid's( in their 20's) just arrived from Ireland and are out in Montauk making beds and waiting tables. $20+/hr jobs that evidently aren't good enough for unemployed Americans.

I know times are tuff but the fact still remains that even in bad times a lot of Americans would rather collect unemployment than do what they consider "menial" work.The business owners advertise the jobs locally but they can't fill them with Americans.

A lot of them are still doing the jobs that most of us refuse to do so they are not really taking jobs away from anyone.And most of them have college degrees.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 PM

210 posts, read 173,310 times
there are those who are eager to work and cant find any, but there are also many who are lazy and happy with just taking govt handouts. i see it with my own eyes.

sorry if i offended you OP. i love the irish, bless their hearts...they are hardworking ppl and literally built nyc with their hands. they are like the backbone of this great city. but america has an illegal immigration crisis, its out of control and thats why you see alot of posts that wont support you.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX-ALBO View Post
there are those who are eager to work and cant find any, but there are also many who are lazy and happy with just taking govt handouts. i see it with my own eyes.

sorry if i offended you OP. i love the irish, bless their hearts...they are hardworking ppl and literally built nyc with their hands. they are like the backbone of this great city. but america has an illegal immigration crisis, its out of control and thats why you see alot of posts that wont support you.
I think they should hire Irish people to go into our schools and teach "work ethic".I don't think it's taught here any more and a big chunk of our population seems to have lost theirs.Everyone forgets that illegals are here because there is a demand for their labor.If all of our jobs were filled with eager, happy to work Americans there would be no demand for illegals.
The Irish are always willing....and very eager to work.They will laugh while they are shoveling **** if they have to.

Why the immigration quotas were changed to keep Western Europeans out is beyond me.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-14-2010 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 04:26 PM

577 posts, read 1,760,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
But there are always two sides to the story.
A couple of a cousin's kid's( in their 20's) just arrived from Ireland and are out in Montauk making beds and waiting tables. $20+/hr jobs that evidently aren't good enough for unemployed Americans.

I know times are tuff but the fact still remains that even in bad times a lot of Americans would rather collect unemployment than do what they consider "menial" work.The business owners advertise the jobs locally but they can't fill them with Americans.

A lot of them are still doing the jobs that most of us refuse to do so they are not really taking jobs away from anyone.And most of them have college degrees.
That is BS. First off all neither waiting tables or making beds pays $20 an hour... maybe if you add tips. Those jobs around here that are legally posted are getting hundreds of applications for one or two openings. If Illegals have those jobs its because law breaking americans wanting to save a buck or two are hiring them or other illegals are hiring them.
You think this won't affect you at all just because you have a job?
Think again.. if these illegals have to go to the hospital... or they cause an accident... they are using roads and services your tax money is paying for yet they arent contributing at all. Get a clue in the short term this may not affect much but in the long term its costing our nation money.
Who pays for the law enforcement trying to enforce these laws ? Or the jails they sit in if they are caught? Sheesh some people live under a rock if they think its not affecting our country and your personal pocketbook to have people live here illegally.

I have no problem with immigrants coming here legally but illegally ... sorry I dont support it.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:03 PM

197 posts, read 636,849 times
Come on over, we need more Western European Immigrants to be honest. I am wondering though, why would you leave a Public Servant Job in Ireland to come to America and work off the books the rest of your life? I think you should think that over, the economy in USA isnt better than in Ireland. Ireland actually has a higher standard of living.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
That is BS. First off all neither waiting tables or making beds pays $20 an hour... maybe if you add tips. Those jobs around here that are legally posted are getting hundreds of applications for one or two openings. If Illegals have those jobs its because law breaking americans wanting to save a buck or two are hiring them or other illegals are hiring them. ....
You can think it's BS if it makes you feel better but it's not.They are not even hired illegally.They get special employment visas ( J 1)issued by the government because the employers prove that they cannot get US citizens to do the work.There are no laws being broken and they pay taxes on their earnings.And many of them make way,way more than $20.00/hr with tips.
It's just a reality that Americans don't want the work,especially in the summer.

And by the way,your attitude about waiting tables( not paying 20/hr) is typical of a lot of Americans who think it's beneath them but I know some waiters in NY who make a lot. One friend made over 80,000 last year during the recession!

Old 06-14-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
Come on over, we need more Western European Immigrants to be honest. I am wondering though, why would you leave a Public Servant Job in Ireland to come to America and work off the books the rest of your life? I think you should think that over, the economy in USA isnt better than in Ireland. Ireland actually has a higher standard of living.
Not any more.It has gone down the tubes big time in the last 2 years.They were flying high for a while but it has crashed.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 PM

218 posts, read 742,186 times
^

Don't assume that just because other people are too stuck-up to do "menial" work for a paycheck that I won't. I need to make money, and to do that, I need to work, period. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City