Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:35 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vovavl View Post
Needless to say they throw nothing on the floor (a couple of hillbillies out of town per each 1,000,000 do not count). The regular trash we have is free newspapers and empty beer bottles which you may find mostly in cars.
And speaking as your friendly local MTA worker who posts around here, I can say: there's the difference between Moscow and New York in a nutshell! New Yorkers are exactly the opposite, and throw their trash wherever they happen to be. (We've got trash receptacles all over the city, and it doesn't make one iota of difference. The platform, the track bed--which is truly intelligent, since it not only makes it easier for the rats to feed, but also sets up the potential for track fires--the stairs. You name it. If there's someone who has something in his or her hand, it's going almost anywhere but the trash can!)

Then, of course, they'll turn around and complain that the system is filthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 AM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The DC Metro almost runs 24hrs , and its clean so clean you can eat off the floor.... and its the second busiest after NYC.
No, the CTA in Chicago would be the 2nd busiest subway/el system and 3 of its lines actually do run 24 hours. I do agree that its very clean though.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
No, the CTA in Chicago would be the 2nd busiest subway/el system and 3 of its lines actually do run 24 hours. I do agree that its very clean though.
CTA Daily Ridership > 640,000

Chicago 'L' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DC Metro > 801,400 (supposed to hit 1 million by the end of the decade) I do see 24/7 service coming sometime this decade.

Washington Metro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-17-2010, 11:38 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And speaking as your friendly local MTA worker who posts around here, I can say: there's the difference between Moscow and New York in a nutshell! New Yorkers are exactly the opposite, and throw their trash wherever they happen to be. (We've got trash receptacles all over the city, and it doesn't make one iota of difference. The platform, the track bed--which is truly intelligent, since it not only makes it easier for the rats to feed, but also sets up the potential for track fires--the stairs. You name it. If there's someone who has something in his or her hand, it's going almost anywhere but the trash can!)

Then, of course, they'll turn around and complain that the system is filthy.
I was just about to say that, Fred. If anything, it would only add to the problem.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
I've seen the most rats on 137th st (1 train). They are all over the trah recepticles and they run across the actual platforms at time.

181st (1 train) has alot too.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:06 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vovavl View Post
I live in Moscow, Russia....People subconsciously have no intention to eat or drink smth in a place with no containers. Needless to say they throw nothing on the floor (a couple of hillbillies out of town per each 1,000,000 do not count).
Heck, I wouldn't litter either if I had the threat of the gulag over my head.

And don't try to tell me since communism has been "ended" in Russia that that's the thing of the past. Old habits die hard and I'm sure Russians are aware of that.

Although you have jerks here who don't care how their environments look I do like the freedom of having the option of being able to eat in the subway if I like. No, I don't litter and I take the time to use a trash receptacle.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:11 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
DC metro is fairly rigid about no eating on the system, and of course there are no food vendors (or any other vendors for that matter) on the property. Also they are not 24/7.

They currently have an ad campaign going to discourage illegal eating. It points out that we do not have rats "unlike some other systems'

I think its understood they are referring to NY.

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2008...ro-rats-o.html

“Unlike some subway systems (which will remain nameless), you don’t see rats the size of house cats roaming Metro.”

Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

“Unlike some subway systems (which will remain nameless), you don’t see rats the size of house cats roaming Metro.”
While I agree that was directed towards NY, the same can be said about Philty's, I mean Philly's subway and Chicago's El as well.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
CTA Daily Ridership > 640,000

Chicago 'L' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DC Metro > 801,400 (supposed to hit 1 million by the end of the decade) I do see 24/7 service coming sometime this decade.

Washington Metro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I stand corrected. I know that most of DC's system runs in the nearby burbs but i'm impressed on how fast its growing. The freeways are terrible there so I can see why people are increasingly riding the metro. They have good park and ride facilities unlike many cities. Their subways are very deep in the ground, but they need to rid the carpets from the trains. I wish other cities could follow their lead.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:01 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
DC metro is fairly rigid about no eating on the system, and of course there are no food vendors (or any other vendors for that matter) on the property. Also they are not 24/7.

They currently have an ad campaign going to discourage illegal eating. It points out that we do not have rats "unlike some other systems'

I think its understood they are referring to NY.

AdFreak: D.C. Metro rats out New York City subway

Oh yeah, DC doesn't play with the eating on the Metro. Last time I was down in DC I almost got a ticket for drinking a soda. Fortunately the lady let me go with a warning since she knew I was an out-of-towner. I've also read an article that a 12 year old girl was given a summons for eating food on the metro a few years back. Don't know how true that is though.

Btw: I've seen those ads on the Metro too. I just assumed they were talking about New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City