Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 11:37 PM

220 posts, read 701,720 times

Advertisements

i've noticed how much it can change others' perspective in terms of calling you up for a movie, dinner, or just hang out..

definitely dont think its a holier than thou attitude, but it can be quicker to midtown from Astoria or Hoboken vs uptown/downtown, but it seems once you leave the island you may as well be in Alabama to some.

im actually moving back to the UES to be closer to work, but in my brief stint 'away,' this was quite apparent. once news to colleagues and friends spread that i was back in manhattan, my social calender automatically filled up for the month, even though i was closer to downtown from hoboken, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 AM

467 posts, read 1,866,506 times
I think all the different boroughs and NJ, LI and Westchester have different alienation factors to them. To me, being in Brooklyn is not an issue, and neither would being in Queens. In Brooklyn I feel far closer to 99% of the places that I would go to shop, eat or hang out in Manhattan than I was in the UES, which I actually found to be the most isolating, NONE of my friends wanted to go up there because they all lived in Brooklyn. Actually, all of my friends are in Brooklyn now. IMO, I think there's a huge difference between living in Queens and Brooklyn versus all of the other areas. Also it depends on where you work, where you were before, and where your friends are. It's not really one-size.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:20 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
i've noticed how much it can change others' perspective in terms of calling you up for a movie, dinner, or just hang out..

definitely dont think its a holier than thou attitude, but it can be quicker to midtown from Astoria or Hoboken vs uptown/downtown, but it seems once you leave the island you may as well be in Alabama to some.

im actually moving back to the UES to be closer to work, but in my brief stint 'away,' this was quite apparent. once news to colleagues and friends spread that i was back in manhattan, my social calender automatically filled up for the month, even though i was closer to downtown from hoboken, lol.
Sounds like you have a bunch of pretty shallow colleagues and friends.

Hope it will make you feel better about yourself now that you are back in Manhattan.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-22-2010 at 04:29 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 04:45 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

Hope it will make you feel better about yourself now that you are back in Manhattan.
Agreed lol

Its faster at least in NJ in towns like Weehawken and Hoboken to get into the city than it is for a lot of places in Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 AM

66 posts, read 285,443 times
NYC is, as they say at NYU where I used to write copy, "a city of neighborhoods." When someone moves to a new hood, it eventually becomes like their own small town, when they get to know the shopkeepers, frequent the local movies, businesses, etc. New Yorkers in general get lazy and hate to "commute" to their friends whether in another borough or a mile away.

This seems to be a universal thing, but Manhattanites are probably the worst. I moved from Manhattan to the Bronx btw, and it's a pretty lonely ride in a way. There are attractions that people will travel near and far to see such as the Zoo and Botanical Gardens, but of course there's the stigma of the Bronx. That's ok; I'm happy with the way it is for the most part, with some exceptions (I've written on other threads re: the discrimination I've experienced since moving here, but most people are nice.) I'm now very attached to the hood, the store owners, the vibe, and taking the train to the city involves a monumental effort. Usually I only go to visit my elderly aunt on the LES or my doctor in midtown (lol).

Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
People in Manhattan normally will not come out to other boroughs to socialize. One who doesn't live in Manhattan nearly always has to go there to see people.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 AM

220 posts, read 701,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira B View Post
NYC is, as they say at NYU where I used to write copy, "a city of neighborhoods." When someone moves to a new hood, it eventually becomes like their own small town, when they get to know the shopkeepers, frequent the local movies, businesses, etc. New Yorkers in general get lazy and hate to "commute" to their friends whether in another borough or a mile away.
hah so true, except i wouldnt say a mile id say 5 block radius! i dont think its oh you live in BK now mentality or anything like that.. its because once youre in your apt in manhattan, its kind of like your settled .. going back out = saying hi to doorman, taking train if different neighborhood, dealing with crowds, so even though its only a 10 min cab ride or subway it feels like a lot to have to get out and meet a freind crosstown.. now if that friend is seperated by a river triple that "burden."

always thought it was an NYC mentality as when i go to LA people dont care so much if we have to drive 45 mins for dinner to meet.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

LMAO

Yeah people that live on the island tend to just want to stay there and not venture out as much as the outer borough inhabitants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: