Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:30 AM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times

Advertisements

see above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 12:01 PM

461 posts, read 1,999,997 times
Modsquad, you’re some piece of work. Your link proves NOTHING as it is only a piece of the puzzle and the bigger picture is missed. The price index ONLY measures basic expenses. Oil, taxes, insurance, things of that nature. The price index DOES NOT take for account and measure the “unexpected” expenses such as the big storm we had a few months ago that did HEAVY damage to many building exteriors that are very expensive to fix. Do you know how much contractors charge for these types of repairs? THOUSANDS! It ain’t cheap and the price index does not count that as an “expense” so the calculations are WRONG to begin with. So you can’t go by those numbers.

What you fail to understand is that the majority of NY buildings are old which can create unexpected repairs at any given time.

I have a 25 year old boiler that’s on it’s last leg. If tomorrow I have to buy a NEW boiler for the building, it’s going to cost me at least 150K. And I have to pay it in a lump sum, not monthly payments. Do you think the “price index” counts that as an expense? NO! It’s not even on the radar. So where does that money come from? Thin air? No, it comes out of the landlord’s pockets with nothing in return but low increase percentages.

How about replacing the whole roof in the building or doing brick pointing, water proofing, replacing rusted lentils above each apartment window that holds the weight of the bricks, replacing the old concrete sidewalks and courtyards that’s a tripping hazard, replacing the old elevator and so forth? And I might add that may of these repairs don’t even qualify as MCI repairs so the landlord is getting screwed on that end to. You see where I’m going with this Modsquad??? I know more about the inner workings of running a Rent Stabilized apartment building than you will ever know because I'm in the trenches while you're in behind a computer posting links from BIAS soucres because its a well know fact that the RBG is a PRO-TENANT board despite what anyone says. The bottomline is those unexpected expenses are IGNORED by the RGB and are NOT counted for in the “price index”. So you can pretty much throw those price index numbers out the window as they are useless in measuring the TRUE expenses of an apartment building. Whatever happen to being fair? That's all Landlords are asking. And until there is fairness, there will always be beef and the people who ultimately suffer are the TENANTS.

Last edited by victorfox; 06-26-2010 at 12:10 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 12:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Modsquad, you’re some piece of work. Your link proves NOTHING as it is only a piece of the puzzle and the bigger picture is missed. The price index ONLY measures basic expenses. Oil, taxes, insurance, things of that nature. The price index DOES NOT take for account and measure the “unexpected” expenses such as the big storm we had a few months ago that did HEAVY damage to many building exteriors that are very expensive to fix. Do you know how much contractors charge for these types of repairs? THOUSANDS! It ain’t cheap and the price index does not count that as an “expense” so the calculations are WRONG to begin with. So you can’t go by those numbers.

What you fail to understand is that the majority of NY buildings are old which can create unexpected repairs at any given time.

I have a 25 year old boiler that’s on it’s last leg. If tomorrow I have to buy a NEW boiler for the building, it’s going to cost me at least 150K. And I have to pay it in a lump sum, not monthly payments. Do you think the “price index” counts that as an expense? NO! It’s not even on the radar. So where does that money come from? Thin air? No, it comes out of the landlord’s pockets with nothing in return but low increase percentages.

How about replacing the whole roof in the building or doing brick pointing, water proofing, replacing rusted lentils above each apartment window that holds the weight of the bricks, replacing the old concrete sidewalks and courtyards that’s a tripping hazard, replacing the old elevator and so forth? And I might add that may of these repairs don’t even qualify as MCI repairs so the landlord is getting screwed on that end to. You see where I’m going with this Modsquad??? I know more about the inner workings of running a Rent Stabilized apartment building than you will ever know because I'm in the trenches while you're in behind a computer posting links from BIAS soucres because its a well know fact that the RBG is a PRO-TENANT board despite what anyone says. The bottomline is those unexpected expenses are IGNORED by the RGB and are NOT counted for in the “price index”. So you can pretty much throw those price index numbers out the window as they are useless in measuring the TRUE expenses of an apartment building. Whatever happen to being fair? That's all Landlords are asking. And until there is fairness, there will always be beef and the people who ultimately suffer are the TENANTS.
Have you ever put your building up for sale and what happened/why not?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:18 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
he's not the owner, he's a property manager.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-26-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
the “unexpected” expenses such as the big storm we had a few months ago that did HEAVY damage.
I N S U R A N C E

mod cut - language

Here's a link for tax incentives for owners who install greener technology when replacing boilers, not to mention the savings in oil which will not be passed on to the tenants.

Green Buildings - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation (http://www.dec.ny.gov/energy/218.html - broken link)

Last edited by modsquad81; 06-26-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
the fact that Landlord's operating expenses have INCREASED in the double digits!!!

Yet Landlords expenses keep rising at a DOUBLE DIGIT RATE.
Please link to a source that indicates double digit increases in owners expenses of RS apartment houses.
I breathlessly await your response, madam.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:26 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
I don't know much about this topic but I wonder how this relates to it: Court rules rent hikes are illegal, refunds possible for tenants

Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I don't know much about this topic but I wonder how this relates to it: Court rules rent hikes are illegal, refunds possible for tenants
It involves very low rent apartments:

[quote]In a decision dated January 20, 2010, the Supreme Court of New York County issued a decision invalidating the minimum rent increases approved by the Rent Guidelines Board in Orders Nos. 40 and 41. These minimum increases affected rent stabilized tenants who renewed leases with effective dates between October 1, 2008 and September 30, 2010, had been living in their apartments for at least six years, and were paying rent of less than $1,000 a month.
Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-27-2010 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 06-27-2010, 04:30 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
It's a well know fact that the Rent Stabilization Law is a PRO-TENANT law that pretty much "sticks it" to Landlords by treating them unfairly, creating one sided rules that solely benefit the tenant more than the OWNER.
Since we're only dealing with well-known facts here, it's only fair to point out that it's also a well-known fact that all of the original rent laws in New York City were written by landlords, which pretty much "stick it" to tenants. Laws passed in the years since that might be called favorable to tenants were nothing more than an attempt at leveling the playing field. But, good golly Miss Molly, who would've guessed that landlords would have a problem with some of their advantages being taken from them?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:24 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,330,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Please link to a source that indicates double digit increases in owners expenses of RS apartment houses.
I breathlessly await your response, madam.
To understand the corrosive effect of government control of rents, you have to look at a multi-year period. Since I purchased my building eight years ago, expenses have increased, according to the RGB, by 56.1% (my expenses have increased more than that). http://housingnyc.com/html/research/cresearch.html
In the same period, stabilized rents have increased 27.75% which is less than half the percentage increase in expenses (I used the total increase for one-year leases. The total increase for two-year leases is even less).
So the longer one owns rent-stabilized apartments, the greater is the gap between expenses and income. And if one has ownership long enough, profit will turn to loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
as a co-op owner I know what the cost is of things and it is sickening. Most tennants, unfortunetely do not realize what it takes to keep a building up and running.
Oil doesn't just seep up from the ground and into our tanks. lawn needs care, repairs on building, brickwork, concrete, the list goes on and on. All the little hardware incedentials adds up............
Low-rent stabilized tenants not only don't know about expenses, but DON'T CARE. Their argument is not oriented toward owner expenses, but to tenant affordability. Unfortunately, the pro-regulation tenant lobby has QUASHED all efforts at means testing so there is no way to prove or disprove the affordability argument. Suspicious?

Quote:
Also, if the landlord is really making no money from his business (real estate ownership) shouldn't he just sell the building?
Quote:
Henna,
Well, if the building is actually losing money, it can't be sold. In the history of the NYC rent control system, many buildings were abandoned. Beginning in the early 80's, the way out was co-op conversion. Many, many rental apartments were lost to abandonement and conversion.
If the building is still generating a small profit then selling the building may put that specific owner out of his misery, but it only transfers the problem to another owner. Over time, that owner too will have the same problem.

Rent regulation has been a disaster not only for building owners but for the city population as a whole. It has had a significant negative effect on both the quantity and quality of the rental stock. In addition, the cost of maintaining the system to taxpayers has been staggering.

The irony of all this is that the liberal state politicians are pushing not for lightening the grip of rent regulation but for making it even more onerous. It's purely a political animal. Things won't change until the average citizen wakes up and understands how rent regulation hurts him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City