Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Maybe that's why Philadelphia has such a huge crime problem compared to NYC.It's so cheap that all the low life's can live there.
Let 'em live there and not here.
The problem is that even the decent people can't afford homes here unless they are independently wealthy.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:11 AM

479 posts, read 1,443,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
As opposed to today where people say hello and smile to you face and only express their racist views behind closed doors among friends and family? Or how NYC above 96th Street on the Eastside and 125th Street on the Westside is the largest segregated concentration of Blacks in Latinos in THE UNITED STATES? Or how the Bronx is under 15% non-Hispanic White and dwindling by the day, going further and further into segregation? Or how there is deep bigotry in some neighborhoods where you will be beaten to death by baseball baseball bat for being gay, Ecuadorian, Mexican, or have remarks made to you for being a "homo", "Whitey", or "f'ing Mexican"?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure we live in the same city.
Hmmmm, a lot of the segregation that you see today is an outcome of the segregation that happened int the 'good old days' of the 50's and 60's. Don't blame the segregation on the new comers (Yuppies or Hipsters) to the city. They are actually not afraid to have a Black or Hispanic neighbor. As for racism in close doors, I rather that happened, than people making racist remarks and hatred in your face. It causes more problems. And no city is perfect but, sure is better than what it was back then.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:16 PM

215 posts, read 661,464 times
I'd much prefer New York of the 1920's. Now those were good times. That's what the city should aspire to.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
This is true. Chicago has gone down the same path. You basically have neighborhoods that are yuppie, ghetto, or immigrant; with the old-school flavor fading. At least this is the case in the city's core neighborhoods. I actually think Chicago may be more extreme than NYC in this regard. I think this is better than the alternative though, which is having a depressed city with nobody taking the place off those who have fled to the suburbs.

There are rustbelt cites like Cleveland, Buffalo, or Pittsburgh that still retain more of an old school vibe.
I'm sure most people don't miss the hard core ghettos that you had in NY in the 70's-80's. What people miss are the close knit working and middle class neighborhoods that were full of second and third generation established immigrants. All the yuppie neighborhoods are upper middle class or above, and most of today's immigrant neighborhoods are not particularly close knit and are being pushed further into the suburbs. Native born working and middle class people like myself are quickly becoming a fish out of water in not only the city but in the suburbs as well. I live in western Nassau County and its quickly becoming a living hell for those of us that neither fit into the yuppie or recent immigrant culture. My job and the recession are the only thing that are keeping me and my family here.

I grew up in Buffalo, been in the NYC area for 10+ years and honestly I wish I never came here. Despite its economic problems, Buffalo still has a soul and is very friendly to the working middle class. It still has that old-school vibe that NYC is lacking.

When I was younger I found NYC exciting, inviting and particularly unique. Today it's becoming just another city with a yuppie elite and the immigrants that serve them.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:24 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
"The good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

William Joel

Old 07-02-2010, 01:33 PM

215 posts, read 661,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
I'm sure most people don't miss the hard core ghettos that you had in NY in the 70's-80's. What people miss are the close knit working and middle class neighborhoods that were full of second and third generation established immigrants. All the yuppie neighborhoods are upper middle class or above, and most of today's immigrant neighborhoods are not particularly close knit and are being pushed further into the suburbs. Native born working and middle class people like myself are quickly becoming a fish out of water in not only the city but in the suburbs as well. I live in western Nassau County and its quickly becoming a living hell for those of us that neither fit into the yuppie or recent immigrant culture. My job and the recession are the only thing that are keeping me and my family here.
Close-knight "third generation" neighborhoods were largely abandoned during the massive middle class and 'white' flight of the 1950's-80's, which saw the non-Hispanic white population of the city to plummet from 90% to 35% of the total. The yuppies actually reversed the decades-long trend. So, repeat after me: there were virtually NO established communities left in the city by the time the yuppies started changing Manhattan. Hasidic Jews and Italian grannies were the only 'multi-generation' communities left in Brooklyn. Everyone else had left for Long Island, New Jersey, Staten Island and other states.

Quote:
I grew up in Buffalo, been in the NYC area for 10+ years and honestly I never wish I came here. Despite its economic problems, Buffalo still has a soul and is very friendly to the working middle class. It still has that old-school vibe that NYC is lacking.
Oh, so you're a fairly recent transplant who whines about an imagined past. Nevermind then. NYC has not been friendly to the middle class since the middle of the 20th century.

Quote:
When I was younger I found NYC exciting, inviting and particularly unique. Today it's becoming just another city with a yuppie elite and the immigrants that serve them.
Unless you were 'younger' back in the 1940's, you're deluding yourself.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:42 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
Close-knight "third generation" neighborhoods were largely abandoned during the massive middle class and 'white' flight of the 1950's-80's, which saw the non-Hispanic white population of the city to plummet from 90% to 35% of the total. The yuppies actually reversed the decades-long trend. So, repeat after me: there were virtually NO established communities left in the city by the time the yuppies started changing Manhattan. Hasidic Jews and Italian grannies were the only 'multi-generation' communities left in Brooklyn. Everyone else had left for Long Island, New Jersey, Staten Island and other states.

Oh, so you're a fairly recent transplant who whines about an imagined past. Nevermind then. NYC has not been friendly to the middle class since the middle of the 20th century.

Unless you were 'younger' back in the 1940's, you're deluding yourself.
My wife is a native New Yorker, and was living in Bay Ridge when I met her 10 years ago, and I remember as recently as the 1990's there still being a strong working/middle class presence in southern Brooklyn. Also I'm working/middle class myself; so I'm much more like the native New Yorkers I speak of than some 25 year old from the "midwest" whose parents are paying for their apartment in Williamsburg while they're attending NYU for their graduate degree.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
My wife is a native New Yorker, and was living in Bay Ridge when I met her 10 years ago, and I remember as recently as the 1990's there still being a strong working/middle class presence in southern Brooklyn. Also I'm working/middle class myself; so I'm much more like the native New Yorkers I speak of than some 25 year old from the "midwest" whose parents are paying for their apartment in Williamsburg while they're attending NYU for their graduate degree.
There are about 60 other threads where you can argue about who is a real New Yorker. And 200 more where people are complaining about the kids from the midwest whose parents pay the rent for their place in Williamsburg.

I think we are all endlessly repeating ourselves. Maybe time to get a new hobby!

Old 07-02-2010, 02:30 PM

615 posts, read 545,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Agreed. They are there until the party's over, they grow up, or the next "up and coming" neighborhood emerges.
Indeed, I don't think they will leave a lasting imprint on the city like some of the people in the past have, like the blacks, Puerto Ricans, Irish, Italian, etc. The newer immigrants and yuppies aren't going to be in neighborhoods for generations, like others have in the past. They aren't there to build strong and lasting communities.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:49 PM

118 posts, read 365,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
no more real ethnic neighborhoods. I grew up in the suburbs in the 60s but had a childhood friend who lived in the east 80s in Manhattan (Yorkville I believe) until the 5th grade. we used to go back there to visit his grandparents when we were in our teens. Great German delis on 86th street. The area had a large Hungarian population also. Now it's nothing but condos filled with kids from the midwest. But then again there aren't any old German and Hungarians left anywhere, it's all been blended ....

This is a long shot, but do you know of any city in the US that still has ethnic neighborhoods? I would love to visit that place (oh no, would I be destroying the culture? lol). The thought of old school NYC has always fascinated me.

That is arguably the reason why it went "downhill." It was too awesome for it's own good.

If you can't think of a city in the US, what about the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City