Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuz View Post
Hi!

I am moving to NY (Manhattan) in August, from Las Vegas.... I'm driving there with my stuff (yey!)

And I am wondering do I sell my car and rent a truck B4 I go or see if I need it in NY before I sell?
Will I be able to park my little SUV on the street while I move? Will I be towed, or stolen hmmm.

Having had a car always- I already feel naked about letting it go! How do people do it?

Any advice would be great!

We moved here from Seattle last October, sold our car, BEST decision EVER. You do NOT need a car. Also, I would personally ditch the moving truck idea and get a pod to move your stuff and then fly out here. That's what we did (with 2 cats).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 PM

285 posts, read 868,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuz View Post
Hi!

I am moving to NY (Manhattan) in August, from Las Vegas.... I'm driving there with my stuff (yey!)

And I am wondering do I sell my car and rent a truck B4 I go or see if I need it in NY before I sell?
Will I be able to park my little SUV on the street while I move? Will I be towed, or stolen hmmm.

Having had a car always- I already feel naked about letting it go! How do people do it?

Any advice would be great!

Most of Manhattan does not require a car and as another poster said, a car can sometimes make life difficult in Manhattan. That's not to say that no one in Manhattan owns one, though. People who families might find it easier to shell out money for parking than to schlepp double strollers up and down train stairs. Grocery shopping can be problematic, too. People have shopping carts or get groceries delivered, depending on where you live and how much you can carry. When I was living in Queens and working in Manhattan, Zipcar was great. Much less than the cost of car insurance and parking. Unlike renting a car, you can get cars by the hour and the times that you can pick up or drop off are much more flexible.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:56 PM

16 posts, read 59,044 times
I have a car and leave it at home if I go to Manhatten. When I lived there, I gave my car away. Can't say it enough... that is the saving grace of NY: no car.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:07 PM

7 posts, read 8,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside_gal View Post
We have a car. We live in Manhattan north of 96th. Parking here is relatively easy but we pay for a parking spot in a small outdoor lot for convenience. You will not likely be ticketed/towed for double-parking while moving your stuff in...but if you have someone who can stay with the vehicle while you unload then it's even better. Parking is horrible in most places in Manhattan south of 96th street but still can be doable, especially on weekends (no alternate side parking). I would suggest possibly selling the car if you don't think you'll use it much after you move. We use ours most weekends so not ready to sell quite yet.
Hi,
I live close to 96th street and I am curious about how much you need to pay for the outside parking? I really want to keep my car in Manhattan. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:33 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Do you need a car in New York City? No, you don't. The real question is, do you want one?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 AM

180 posts, read 475,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8west View Post
Don't ask NYkers these questions, most of them wouldn't know. When I asked the same question before moving to Manhattan I got a choir harping: Don't need! Subway the way to go! When I arrived to Manhattan from CA without car, it was absolutely terrible wasting time in dirty stinking subway and experiencing all the other inconveniences living without a car, not mentioning missing the pleasure of driving. So I quickly got my car shipped to Manhattan. Yes, it's expensive. Prepare to pay around $500/mon for a garage, if you also need to park at the office – double that, add some funds for repairs due to idiots in yellow and black cabs and ever-present potholes, about $50/month you will need for red light cameras, your insurance will be around 3x your current rate. You will also need to spend $10 every other day to wash your car, because NY is the dirtiest place I've ever driven. I don't know if you need to add more for parking tickets, I didn't get any, I was always parking in the garages, which are aplenty, but see that parking attendants don't abuse your car. Give them about $5 tip every time you park your car. Watch out for cop ambushes at the end of the month, they don't really care about traffic safety, only to get money. There are plenty of videos on youtube about corrupt cops in NYC, search for Jimmy Justice videos, for example. Driving is tough everywhere in NYC, traffic is terrible, roads are the worst in the US, but at least you will have comfort of your own car and convenience to go wherever you need whenever you need it.
Um sir, you tend to lose credibility with people when you speak so ridiculously. No one never said NYC was spotlessly clean. Everyone and their mama knows, NYC is filthy, congested, loud, and has a sometimes inconvenient subway system.

However you still chose to move there. The fact of the matter is most people are not like you. Spending upwards of a thousand dollars just for your CAR. Not a child, but a CAR. I think you're giving bad advice by saying the car in manhattan is more convenient. A real NYker will tell you to walk whenever you can. It beats the subway and car. I think its time for you to go back to where ever you came from. If driving is so pleasurable for you, you're in the wrong neck of the woods.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
Um sir, you tend to lose credibility with people when you speak so ridiculously. No one never said NYC was spotlessly clean. Everyone and their mama knows, NYC is filthy, congested, loud, and has a sometimes inconvenient subway system.

However you still chose to move there. The fact of the matter is most people are not like you. Spending upwards of a thousand dollars just for your CAR. Not a child, but a CAR. I think you're giving bad advice by saying the car in manhattan is more convenient. A real NYker will tell you to walk whenever you can. It beats the subway and car. I think its time for you to go back to where ever you came from. If driving is so pleasurable for you, you're in the wrong neck of the woods.
That's so true. The people that have cars in Manhattan have them because they have the money to easily store them for when they need them. But day to day driving in Manhattan? Yeah right. Cars are only feasible outside of Manhattan. Manhattan is covered very well by buses, trains, subways, taxi's and zipcars. If you need to pick up groceries it would be far cheaper to get a zip car for a couple hours then spending 1k on a car per month to use it a couple times a month. In Queens we have one because we travel to LI for my GF's family a lot, but if we lived in Manhattan we would get rid of it.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:31 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
I could never understand the need for a car in Manhattan it seems like too much of a hassle and drivers look so stressed sitting in traffic as I walk past them. Just not worth the expense andcadded stress.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I could never understand the need for a car in Manhattan it seems like too much of a hassle and drivers look so stressed sitting in traffic as I walk past them. Just not worth the expense andcadded stress.
It depends on what you are doing with the car. People that own cars in Manhattan usually are rich enough to be able to go to the hamptons or head Upstate. Having a car is nice. It cuts out the smelly subways, but I have to say the money they charge for parking is insane. 500-600 dollars for a place to put your car? Yikes. But it does help get from point A to point B faster and with less walking. Plus they are driving nice BMW's and Maserati's so inside is nice and comfy when stuck in traffic.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
It depends on what you are doing with the car. People that own cars in Manhattan usually are rich enough to be able to go to the hamptons or head Upstate. Having a car is nice. It cuts out the smelly subways, but I have to say the money they charge for parking is insane. 500-600 dollars for a place to put your car? Yikes. But it does help get from point A to point B faster and with less walking. Plus they are driving nice BMW's and Maserati's so inside is nice and comfy when stuck in traffic.
That doesn't change the factthat plenty of them get frustrated trying to get where ever they are going. I have seen some funny near misses with people in expensive cars trying to get through a light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City