Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
And as an Irish American with more than a few cousins here illegally I can assure you that the numbers of illegal Irish are way up there too.

It's funny because all the rage gets focused on the illegals with darker skin because of our( American) innate racist tendency's and people don't stop to think how many light skinned illegals there actually are here.

I wonder why
No it usually are the people who are for illegals that make it into a race issue many liberals think of illegals are possible votes which is why they want them so badly

Old 07-15-2010, 07:37 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Not long ago, I read a statistic on the largest number of illegal aliens in New York City by community. Believe me when I tell you--it came as a surprise to know that two of the largest such groups are Israelis and Poles!

I'm a third-generation New Yorker; my grandparents came here around the time of World War I. And I also believe the problem has to be addressed. But I wouldn't know where to start; immigrants (whether legal or otherwise) are so tightly woven into the fabric of this city, I think it would be almost impossible to start weeding out the ones that don't belong here, legally.
There are plently of illegal israelis and pols but no way are they the majority of illegals dont believe everything you read on the internet always fact check by the way illegal israelis pols and irish all need to leave the country

Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
Please elaborate.

Tribeca is perhaps the most expensive and exclusive neighborhood in NYC and one of the most expensive in the world.... what exactly did Tribeca look like during your last vist? Tribeca used to be gritty and now Tribeca has never looked better.

Unless there is another Tribeca in NYC that I'm not aware of, I somehow doubt Tribeca has been overrun by immigrants from the third world. The only immigrants who live in Tribeca are wealthy Russians and Europeans who purchase these lofts as second homes.
What I meant was, the last time I was down in Tribeca, I was walking down the street and there were tons of African cats selling goods (doubt they were all legal), Middle easterners pushing merchandise and lets just say most of the americans were mainly consumers. SUre the neighborhood is expensive to actually live in, but its workspace is shared by a bunch of folks not exactly of the American persuasion.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 PM

7 posts, read 15,971 times
What DC90 and DSNYSANMAN said.

Last edited by ScorpioGirl102590; 07-15-2010 at 09:33 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 PM

7 posts, read 15,971 times
Can a moderator delete this?? Sorry for posting twice!

Old 07-16-2010, 05:26 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
No it usually are the people who are for illegals that make it into a race issue many liberals think of illegals are possible votes which is why they want them so badly
Really ? That's not what I see and this whole thread's existence is a good example.Go back to the OP's original post.It complains about illegal Dominicans and illegal West Indians.No mention of illegal Israeli's,Pols, Irish or Albanians.

Every time I see a news story or a thread on a forum like this or overhear a discussion between individuals,the focus is on Mexicans or other Hispanics or black people.

When was the last time you saw or heard a discussion in the media or among individuals complaining about all the illegal Israeli's,Pols,Irish or Albanians?

As I mentioned in an earlier post,I am an Irish American who has a number of 1st cousins here( both here in NY and in Boston) illegally so I'm not exactly pulling out the race card or crying about discrimination against my people.I do watch the whole illegal immigration debate quite closely however and I am only commenting on what I see. Just trying to keep it real here.

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-16-2010 at 06:02 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
It is. Mayor Bloomberg is leading a brand new initiative to allow certain undocumented to become legal if they can open businesses and employ at least 10 people. Google it when you get a chance.
Since no one posted on this, Mayor Mike Bloomberg recently rolled out the Partnership For A New American Economy: a coalition of politicians and chief executive officers pushing for comprehensive immigration reform at the federal level.

Here's an article.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 AM

142 posts, read 418,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
No.
WOW, at least you are honest. I don't agree but hey....you are honest.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:43 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
So poor immigrants should not be allowed to come here to make something for themselves?
Not on a tourist visa, which is how some came here but have stayed illegally. They should go through the proper channels. I think that's what the other poster was talking about.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:47 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
New York has been a haven for immigrants for centuries. New Yorkers appreciate this history and sympathetic to immigrants.

They're also not perceived as a threat. The city is already so staggeringly multicultural that you don't really notice. Nearly all good jobs require either an elite education or union membership, both of which are very difficult (impossible?) for an illegal immigrant to get. There's little competition unless you want to be a dishwasher. On the selfish side, we know that if there were no illegal immigration we'd have to pay more for manicures or to have our laundry done.

It also helps that there is no single ethnicity that dominates immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City