Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
As the first colonists I wondered if the accent was Dutch mixed with a British accent or something.w
You're on the right track.

The "Dem" and "Dose" for "Them" and "Those", for example, definitely came from the Dutch, who have no "th" sound in their language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 AM

101 posts, read 154,438 times
I find this discussion interesting as there are actual contributions from many cultures that contribute to the New York accent. Down in Atlanta where I was thankful to escape from, that Southern twang, and all the "y'all" and "ma'ams" just grates on your ears. It's also deceptive. People think you are being polite and formal, but their venom seethes just below the service. I find in New York (and in other Northern cities like Boston, DC, Philadelphia, etc) people are either nice to your face or they're not. There's none of this fakeness you find in the South and in their ever-so-nice accents.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:31 PM

9 posts, read 17,921 times
Maybe there was more segregation in Detroit and places west of Philly. Also accent is pronunciation not vocabulary

Old 10-12-2014, 04:48 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Jesus Herbert Christ from the Bronx..

Old 10-12-2014, 04:59 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
I find this discussion interesting as there are actual contributions from many cultures that contribute to the New York accent. Down in Atlanta where I was thankful to escape from, that Southern twang, and all the "y'all" and "ma'ams" just grates on your ears. It's also deceptive. People think you are being polite and formal, but their venom seethes just below the service. I find in New York (and in other Northern cities like Boston, DC, Philadelphia, etc) people are either nice to your face or they're not. There's none of this fakeness you find in the South and in their ever-so-nice accents.
I do declare! Well bless your heart.

I get a kick out of the unspoken rules some of my NYC coworkers use., "if a word ends in r, drop the r. Heather is Heathuh.

If a word ends in a, drop the a and add er. Soda becomes soder ".

Old 10-12-2014, 07:13 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Blacks in NY have a very different accent from blacks in Detroit or the South, even though millions of blacks migrated to NYC during the great migration NYC already had it's own huge black population since colonial times that developed with the different poor working class groups but still keeping it's own black style and when Southerners moved up here they assimilated with the NY blacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antdawg1 View Post
Yeah an African American from Detroit or the south sounds nothing like a new yorker. I just don't get why black people from northern places like Detroit, Chicago, and LA never adapted a more northern sound like Philly, New York, and Boston.

Not all Blacks in Detroit have a country accent....some do some dont...Now Chicago, St Louis, Indiana (Gary, Indianapolis) on the other hand......black people in those cities talk like they never left the south....heck the only major difference btwn southern and midwestern blacks is that midwest blacks have a harder edge to them (if nothing else bc of those brutal midwest winters) and the hospitatlity isnt as strong (with chicago blacks its almost nonexistant!).

Black americans in NY and most east coast cities prob lost their country accents mainly bc east coast cities move @ a much faster pace (the midwest is slow and cold). black people out west basically have a country accent shot with tranqulizer.......esp blacks from South Central Los Angeles and Oakland.....

I also notice black west indians in NY dont talk like black west indian migrants in London or Toronto. Granted those are diff countries with totally diff accents and cultures but caribbean ppl in toronto and england merge caribbean lingo into whichever accent their host country has. black west indians in NY either talk in a full on NY Accent or a full on west indian accent. very rarely do the 2 mix.....

Old 05-11-2015, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,074 times
There is a new documentary specifically about the origins of the ny accent. Check it out. Also, most Blacks from the south migrated to the Midwest. I am Black and Blacks from ny don't sound anything like those from the south or Midwest. The ny accent is more British. I've lived in the UK and it's a mix of east end and city.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,074 times
I'm from Chicago and Black. Rudeness is individual not ethnically related. Please don't generalize. Also, as a virtual Corporate recruiter, I hear voices from all over the world and can pick out origins of accents very easily now. Blacks from the U.S. sound differently from state to state and also regionally within states, but, so do whites. Don't lump it all together. Really try to listen and you will hear a distinct difference. Not a lecture just the truth.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:32 PM

613 posts, read 462,993 times
Whites have "the accent," too...

Goodness, why does everything here have to be racial????

Old 05-11-2015, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 3,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I do declare! Well bless your heart.

I get a kick out of the unspoken rules some of my NYC coworkers use., "if a word ends in r, drop the r. Heather is Heathuh.

If a word ends in a, drop the a and add er. Soda becomes soder ".
Heathuh is Brooklyn

Soder is Bronx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City