Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 PM

31 posts, read 162,454 times

Advertisements

I almost signed a lease for an apt at NorthRose.

I did a drive and walk through of the area at all hours of the day from rush hour to the criminals witching hour
2 to 4 am.

I found that gang activity is high 9 blocks up from the NorthRose in the projects.

There was a NYPD conditions trailer parked there and in my walk through the projects I saw gang colors
blatantly worn and displayed.

I questioned the tour commanders from the 40 and 41 PCTS and they told me that crime was high.

Across from the NorthRose above the Dunkin Donuts is a music hall that is rented for private parties
and it gets loud and disorderly and is known spill over to the street.

The court yard space is not private and open to the public which is going to cause a problem for the tenants

The open court yard is going to be a hang out for the college students and the local denizens and attract
the drug trade which will attract the gangs from the projects.

In front of the old building between 501 and 488 I observed hand to hand activity.

By the college I saw a guy casing cars and when he walked by me he gave me the felony stare but thought better of
it and continued up towards the projects-lucky for him!.

If your apt isn’t on the 13th floor I’d worry about incoming rounds.

Doesn't matter that the Police PCT is down the block from the NorthRose; in Manhattan the Smith Projects are across from
Police HQ and is still a high crime area.

To make the South Bronx and NorthRose work there has to be strict uniform and plain cloths police presence and full enforcement around the clock to keep the denizens bottled up in the projects like operation pressure point in Alphabet City back in the day. Strict quality of life enforcement around NorthRose will keep it safe.
But that will take money that the city doesn't have.

In Brooklyn the only thing I have to worry about is not to over dose on Jake's Key Lime pies LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,397,185 times
Hitokiri..if you think the only thing you have to worry about in Brooklyn is an overdose on Jake's Key lime pies, you not only don't know what you are talking about, you must have just arrived from Kansas 2 days ago.

Yes there are housing projects in the Southern Bronx and around the Northrose development, but the projects are also in Chelsea, the UES, LES, etc, and people pay 4 times as much (and pay millions of dollars) for the priviledge of living next to them. The projects you are referring to are 9 blocks north, which by city standards is light years away. That's like living on Houston and Broadway and worrying about the projects on Ave D. How does someone FROM NYC justify a place as undesireable based on a 2 am walk thru the projects 9 blocks away....if people used that same rule the UES, Chelsea, LES and 1/2 of Brooklyn would be undesirable/dangerous/uninhabited. (I take that back..1/2 of Brooklyn is already "undesirable")

Yes there is gang activity, where isn't there? And the idea that unless you live above the 13th floor you will have gun shots thru your window? Really? I live not far from this development, directly across the street from 30 story housing projects, on the first floor, and that has never happened to me or anyone else on my block. As in ever...50+ years.

What you saw sounds only like what you wanted to see. What's the day to day reality? If your daily routine is walking 9 blocks north and hanging out at the housing projects at 2 am, then yeah, I would say don't live in the Bronx, Brooklyn, or anywhere in NYC for that matter. If you enjoy hanging with the homies at 3 am at the bodega, yeah...don't live in NYC. If you like to hang with drug dealers because they are cool and friendly, don't live in NYC.

What you have done is provided insight into what the criminal element does, not want every day people do, which applies to everywhere in NYC, even your precious Brooklyn. Crime is everywhere in NYC, and if your lifestyle is such that you put yourself in the middle of it, then anywhere in NYC is not the place for you.

And for the record, the South Bronx and Northrose development are/will work. Why? Developments like these were unheard of for the past 30 years, but the working/middle class are now moving in and reclaiming large swaths of the area, with the city making room for them and providing the amenities and safety necessary to help them thrive and succeed. Crime is down to record lows, and the entire area is literally being redeveloped specifically for these middle class people.

You may poopoo the Northrose development, but in the end, you are seeking an affordable place to live and a high quality development, both of which this development provides. I agree that the specific neighborhood of Carol Gardens is better than the Melrose area, but your justifications for not choosing Northrose sounded like someone who knows nothing of NYC, the Bronx or Brooklyn.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 AM

18,492 posts, read 31,705,587 times
I would go for the Carroll Gardens. The area is great and things to do. The new Brooklyn Bridge Park is seconds away, and if you have a bicycle, then you are really going to have fun.
I also believe that techinacally the area is called Columbia Street Waterfront District, because it is like 2 blocks away. Good Luck.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,776,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Hitokiri..if you think the only thing you have to worry about in Brooklyn is an overdose on Jake's Key lime pies, you not only don't know what you are talking about, you must have just arrived from Kansas 2 days ago.

Yes there are housing projects in the Southern Bronx and around the Northrose development, but the projects are also in Chelsea, the UES, LES, etc, and people pay 4 times as much (and pay millions of dollars) for the priviledge of living next to them. The projects you are referring to are 9 blocks north, which by city standards is light years away. That's like living on Houston and Broadway and worrying about the projects on Ave D. How does someone FROM NYC justify a place as undesireable based on a 2 am walk thru the projects 9 blocks away....if people used that same rule the UES, Chelsea, LES and 1/2 of Brooklyn would be undesirable/dangerous/uninhabited. (I take that back..1/2 of Brooklyn is already "undesirable")

Yes there is gang activity, where isn't there? And the idea that unless you live above the 13th floor you will have gun shots thru your window? Really? I live not far from this development, directly across the street from 30 story housing projects, on the first floor, and that has never happened to me or anyone else on my block. As in ever...50+ years.

What you saw sounds only like what you wanted to see. What's the day to day reality? If your daily routine is walking 9 blocks north and hanging out at the housing projects at 2 am, then yeah, I would say don't live in the Bronx, Brooklyn, or anywhere in NYC for that matter. If you enjoy hanging with the homies at 3 am at the bodega, yeah...don't live in NYC. If you like to hang with drug dealers because they are cool and friendly, don't live in NYC.

What you have done is provided insight into what the criminal element does, not want every day people do, which applies to everywhere in NYC, even your precious Brooklyn. Crime is everywhere in NYC, and if your lifestyle is such that you put yourself in the middle of it, then anywhere in NYC is not the place for you.

And for the record, the South Bronx and Northrose development are/will work. Why? Developments like these were unheard of for the past 30 years, but the working/middle class are now moving in and reclaiming large swaths of the area, with the city making room for them and providing the amenities and safety necessary to help them thrive and succeed. Crime is down to record lows, and the entire area is literally being redeveloped specifically for these middle class people.

You may poopoo the Northrose development, but in the end, you are seeking an affordable place to live and a high quality development, both of which this development provides. I agree that the specific neighborhood of Carol Gardens is better than the Melrose area, but your justifications for not choosing Northrose sounded like someone who knows nothing of NYC, the Bronx or Brooklyn.
Sobro why all these diatribes whenever you think someone has slighted the Bronx? The Bronx has it's attributes but it also has way more problems than other parts of NYC. After all, it has the lowest median and per capita income of all the boroughs. That poster was only comparing two neighborhoods. I didn't see any intentions to demonize the Bronx. "Chill!"

Old 11-23-2010, 02:40 PM

I don't think he slighted the Bronx at all, nor is this a diatribe. I think his justifications were bogus....if you went to just about any neighborhood in NYC from 2-4am and then walked X distance away to the inevitable housing projects/low income housing, what do you think your opinion would be of the neighborhood? Would that be a fair/reasonable opinion of the entire area? Using his criteria, much of NYC would be a no-go, including the most elite areas like the UES. You think it is fair to say unless you live above the 13th floor expect bullets through the windows?

His assessment was totally bogus. And then to allege that all you have to worry about in Brooklyn was key lime pie? Right.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 PM

31 posts, read 162,454 times
Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Morriania BX or Carol Gardens BK. ?-crim.jpg  

Old 11-24-2010, 07:39 AM

And the point? Your statement is comparing Melrose with BROOKLYN. That's kinda like comparing Manhattan with Crown heights...still not understanding? I agree that Carol Gardens is the better choice, but you have far more to worry about in BROOKLYN than key lime pies. Hopefully you don't learn that the hard way. Brooklyn has the highest crime nabe in all of NYC...but then again...only NYers know that.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
And the point? Your statement is comparing Melrose with BROOKLYN. That's kinda like comparing Manhattan with Crown heights...still not understanding? I agree that Carol Gardens is the better choice, but you have far more to worry about in BROOKLYN than key lime pies. Hopefully you don't learn that the hard way. Brooklyn has the highest crime nabe in all of NYC...but then again...only NYers know that.

True. I've have always found that interesting that the Bronx appears more poverty sticken than Brooklyn but Brooklyn crime rates are higher. Why is that? My only conclusion which might only tell part of the story is that Brooklyn high crime neighborhoods are black neighborhoods. Places like Brownsville seems to overshadow the better neighborhoods of Brooklyn like Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens, Bay Ridge, Midwood or Gravesend.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:12 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,728,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
True. I've have always found that interesting that the Bronx appears more poverty sticken than Brooklyn but Brooklyn crime rates are higher. Why is that? My only conclusion which might only tell part of the story is that Brooklyn high crime neighborhoods are black neighborhoods. Places like Brownsville seems to overshadow the better neighborhoods of Brooklyn like Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens, Bay Ridge, Midwood or Gravesend.
Its because Brooklyn's high crime neighborhoods are on the eastern outskirts, and there is no need to ever go there anyway. If you live in Brooklyn most of the traveling is North/Northwest/West/South. The only need to travel East is for Long Island and even then you're just on a highway and never really see the nabes anyway. You can live all your life in Brooklyn and travel all around and never visit Brownsville or East New York. The only time you end up there is if your actual aim is to go there.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Its because Brooklyn's high crime neighborhoods are on the eastern outskirts, and there is no need to ever go there anyway. If you live in Brooklyn most of the traveling is North/Northwest/West/South. The only need to travel East is for Long Island and even then you're just on a highway and never really see the nabes anyway. You can live all your life in Brooklyn and travel all around and never visit Brownsville or East New York. The only time you end up there is if your actual aim is to go there.
It's really small pockets on the eastern edges. Brooklyn crime rates are no different than the other boroughs? Looking at it we know the highest poverty rates are in the Bronx but does Brooklyn overall have the highest crime rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City