Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,861 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I live in Il and have a serious dream of moving to New York one day. Went to visit in July and fell in LOVE!! Chicago really doesn't have anything on NY!! lol well anyway I am thinking Queens or Brooklyn but I literally know no one there to help me get started so I am reaching out to you all for some advice.

I am looking for a neighborhood that is pretty diverse, is affordable, has plenty of access to public transportation both to Manhattan and neighboring areas as well since I dont plan on having a car areas with lots of everything in the area would be great!

Any advise you all can give will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM

120 posts, read 438,657 times
whats your budget?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:45 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,496 times
Default Just do it

First--just do it...don't wait until are "ready" because you never will be if you go by that criteria. Apartment--do a sublet. Be prepared to move through several sublets within the first year or two if needed (not necessarily so but possible) and/or be willing to rent a room and/or get a roommate. Start out with a sublet though (short term) so you are able to explore the different boroughs and neighborhoods to see which really fits YOU...they are all very different and nobody's advice will help you since they will be going by their own individual perspective.

Other than that, get rid of AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. It will make your move so much easier. The more savings you can have the better, but believe me you don't need THAT much (have had friends who moved there with no home and almost no savings and did just fine. If you don't have a job idea, look into temp work until you get something more towards what you are wanting to do (unless that is what you are wanting to do). Forget about having a car (it seems like you already have that down). You know, actually regarding sublets, if you are able to just show up and are able to stay at a hostel for a week or so and then check out potential neighborhood sublets in person, you will be in even better shape (so you don't end up in some awful unsafe neighborhood without knowing better). ALSO, obviously use this forum, AND if you do rent a sublet ahead of time, get the address before signing and agreeing to anything and google earth it...then walk via google earth around the neighborhood to get a better idea what it's like and what is within walking distance.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM

467 posts, read 1,865,762 times
I wish C-D would have a requirement that you must post 10 times before being able to create your own post! This would probably cut down on the post-and-runs we see. How do we know this person is ever going to come back?

Chicago having nothing on NYC? Chicago ain't exactly Podunk.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
I wish C-D would have a requirement that you must post 10 times before being able to create your own post! This would probably cut down on the post-and-runs we see. How do we know this person is ever going to come back?

Chicago having nothing on NYC? Chicago ain't exactly Podunk.
Sorry I tried doing a search by topic and nothing came up. Chicago is great but in comparison to NY? Chilllllllllll. lol

But thanks for the advice all. I will research the suggestions offered and explore the forum better before making a thread.

Just do it? lol Sounds so scarey but definately been told this by others.

*thinks about it*

Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 AM

483 posts, read 853,970 times
The most important thing you can do right now is start applying for jobs and while you're doing that save as much money as you can.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:39 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
There's no right or wrong way to do it. Ideally a job first then sort the other details, but unless you have an in somewhere that might be tough, as typical employers often wont bother dealing with non-locals (Especially if you don't have a highly specialized skill). I myself did what a lot of people do...moved first and then found a job, but there's a definite risk of crash and burn with that tactic unless you've got money forever or someone bankrolling your little foray. Otherwise figure on needing 6 months of expenses + the extra $500/mo you're going to fritter away on whatever saved up before trying.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
The most important thing you can do right now is start applying for jobs and while you're doing that save as much money as you can.
Yep. That is the bottom line- MONEY. And unless you are independantly wealthy, you get that from a job.

Good luck. New York is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City