Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 AM

520 posts, read 844,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Russians are "white", but you don't seem them trippin' about living in minority neighborhoods.
Oh YES THEY DO! They one of the more racist groups out there. Ever heard of what is happening in Moscow to those who are from the Caucuses? How about Jews who were persecuted/executed under Stalin, and continue to get unfavorable treatment until this day. Russia is for Russians - is the sentiment. The Russian jews who live here have their own qualms about various ethnic groups living in NYC. Learn Russian, live in the community and see if you still hold the same opinion.

Eh, everyone is prejudice in one way or another. It sucks, but that's the human condition for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,388,777 times
Moderator cut: Removed orphaned comment

Entangled, unfortunately, I agree with you.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-11-2010 at 09:47 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 11:58 AM

520 posts, read 844,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Entangled, unfortunately, I agree with you.
Heavens forbid! Be careful, you might catch the un-Americanness bug.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,264,393 times
This turned out to be a funny thread...

Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,388,777 times
It did Ruready...there are some interesting characters on here...what fun would it be if we all agreed all the time.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:53 PM

68 posts, read 298,049 times
What's your ethnic background, OP? I think I have some suggestions if you tell me your nationality.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:07 PM

118 posts, read 443,866 times
Do not move to East Harlem unless you want to be miserable and feel like a second or third-class citizen. I lived in West Harlem for five months, until I finally broke down and left after having something that resembled a nervous breakdown. BTW, I am a white, young female who, up until recently, would have been the last person to be racist. I never thought Ronald Reagan was serious when he talked about welfare queens in Cadillacs until I actually saw such a thing outside of my apartment building. These are the people those NYC taxes go to folks! Now I'm back home in Michigan and loving it. Open green space, fresh air, everything half the price and twice the quality, 6% sales tax. And I can smoke a phat one in my car with the windows down and the radio on full blast, whereas before I was standing in a packed car next to people with B.O. and annoying yappity accents. While I do miss a lot of things admittedly, I would never go back to NYC to live. Now, I plan on going every 3-4 months to shop, party, and take it all in- and then go back home. I'll always love certain things I admit- the gelato and sorbetto shops, the mixologists in their preppy suits down in Soho making marshmallows with alcohol in them, Mulberry Street, jogging Battery Park on a breezy summer evening, the way people are so gifted at dressing to express themselves, the way the grease on the pizza is like no other pizza grease I can find, and the feeling each day is a new adventure. But 'adventures' are only fun with money, as is pretty much all of the NYC experience. If I ever went back, it would only be if I was a millionaire and it was later in life. The city sparkles when you have money, it is the best. Without it, it is incredibly rough, and yes, you can be easily put in harm's way. I learned a lot from my time there, and the one thing I learned is- safety is not the only thing you should consider. You deserve better. You need to live somewhere close to or at your comfort level, or you will end up miserable guaranteed. And don't try to be 'enlightened' and live around those unlike you, or you will live to regret it. Going and sampling someone else's culture now and then for the novelty of it is one thing- living in it everyday is entirely another.

Last edited by HarlemNewbie; 09-11-2010 at 06:17 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 PM

340 posts, read 1,186,422 times
newbie shes not living there shes working there...stop hating on the hood

Old 09-11-2010, 07:45 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,444,442 times
Moderator cut: Not necessary
It's great that your happy back in Michigan, so why come back to the NY thread to continue your whining about NYC and the hood; and you suggest that you weren't racist up until recently, but your 5 month stay in Harlem broke you.. I'm pretty sure you always had it in you, you just needed an excuse to bring it out.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-11-2010 at 09:49 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 08:41 PM

675 posts, read 1,257,495 times
wow this is like a Archie Bunker flashback convention in this thread lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City