Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:34 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times

Advertisements

The original family-owned Mama Leone's is LONG gone, though with different owners it survived until 1994: NIAF MileStones Even as far back as the late 1960s - early 1970s it was known as a tourist trap.

I think someone did mention Bay Ridge: Gino's. I went there today for the first time since the late 1970s. It used to be a pizza place only, was very popular, I remember it being very good. But today the pizza seems to be an afterthought! It is now a large restaurant, I have yet to eat in the restaurant. Today I had the pizza and was disappointed, it was just ok IMO. But I'm not surprised as really good pizza in NY is getting scarcer and scarcer IMO.

I've never eaten at one of NY's "high end" Italian restaurants. Maybe one day. I like Paul & Jimmy's and Capucine's in the Gramercy Park area. Da Giulio in the Murray Hill area is also pretty good.

And one day I'm going to have to get to Arthur Ave in the Bronx and check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:05 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Gino's
Yes Gino's, the one here in Bay Ridge on 5th Avenue.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:58 AM

132 posts, read 279,200 times
Fiorentino's on Ave U, Brooklyn

Don Peppe, South Ozone Park Queens

These are THE best, no question

Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Olive Garden, Times Square.

No, just kidding.

Are there any restaurants in NYC which specialize in the cuisine of an individual region / province of Italy, e.g. Abruzzo, Veneto, The Marches, Emiglia-Romagna, Calbaria, etc.?

Old 09-20-2010, 01:15 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,828 times
Not a recommendation but a question. Does anyone know why Rao's in East Harlem is so well spoken of,yet no one listed it here.I'm guessing it isn't a tourist trap with it's location and it's clientele.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
Not a recommendation but a question. Does anyone know why Rao's in East Harlem is so well spoken of,yet no one listed it here.I'm guessing it isn't a tourist trap with it's location and it's clientele.
No,it's not a tourist trap and it is great.I forgot about it actually.Haven't been in years.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The Family Restaurant on Queens Blvd. in Forest Hills: The Family Restaurant - Home.

The Family Restaurant is really good. Another great one is Arthur Avenue Trattoria in the Bronx.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:58 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
My understanding is that it is more of a club than a public restaurant. It's virtually impossible to eat there unless you know someone.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
My understanding is that it is more of a club than a public restaurant. It's virtually impossible to eat there unless you know someone.
I just looked it up. Sounds like a cool place. I'm not sure how secret or exclusive it can be with a website and 12 reviews on yelp but I guess you never know.
Rao's Restaurant, New York (http://www.raos.com/raos-restaurant-new-york.aspx - broken link)

Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I just looked it up. Sounds like a cool place. I'm not sure how secret or exclusive it can be with a website and 12 reviews on yelp but I guess you never know.
Rao's Restaurant, New York (http://www.raos.com/raos-restaurant-new-york.aspx - broken link)
The tables are super exclusive and nearly impossible to get. But that's also because the restaurant is super small and only has ten tables. I have gone in to the bar just to have a drink and that was an experience in and of itself. The food is probably amazing but the atmosphere alone is worth checking out. I think for the tables you MIGHT be able to swing getting in if you book like 1-1.5 years in advance.
Also, Il Mulino in the West Village is AMAZING. A little pricey but very worth it. My mouth waters just thinking about it. When you go in you are offerred a wide array of the most delicious complimentary appetizers- all sorts of meats, cheeses, breads, mussels. That's just when you sit down! All of the seafood on their menu is to die for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City