Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:52 PM

252 posts, read 607,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
I've had same scenario, as have most NYC drivers, I'm guessing. Although usually it's someone in a car and they try and sneak in as you are backing in or something like that. It's amazing how rude people can be and expect you to actually give up the spot!

I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen from time to time. Don't waste anyone's time calling the cops, either move on or hold your ground and know that if the person is truly unbalanced they may do something to your car. Don't take pictures or anything like that.

It's part of living in NYC, like fights over cabs, etc.
I agree. ive gotten into fights over saving spots for people, or taking a spot someone was just about to take. its the joys of having a car in this city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 02:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Pull out your phone, take her picture, then write down their license plate number. When they ask what you are doing, tell them you like to keep records so you know who to report if anything happens to your car. Walk away, if there is any damage the next day, report them to the police.
I would suggest a video; document everything.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:00 PM

252 posts, read 607,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I would suggest a video; document everything.

this might get the lady even more mad. if i saw a stranger taking a pic of video of me in the street, i would be very mad, and i would try to snatch the phone out of their hands.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:53 AM

542 posts, read 1,479,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli722 View Post
this might get the lady even more mad. if i saw a stranger taking a pic of video of me in the street, i would be very mad, and i would try to snatch the phone out of their hands.
And that would get you thrown in jail.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:25 AM

869 posts, read 972,310 times
Don't go by race there are crazies in all races. I would have looked for another parking space. Not worth the permanent animosity and future squabbles the incident can generate. Such types never forget.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:43 PM

501 posts, read 359,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Don't go by race there are crazies in all races. I would have looked for another parking space. Not worth the permanent animosity and future squabbles the incident can generate. Such types never forget.
Or they move along till they find the next person to push around.

Had mini neighbor war .

Wife wanted to handle it by going along to get along. Neighbor's bad behavior increased.

She then turned it over to me.

Tried to talk to him - I offered for us to go to mediation. Wouldn't have any of it.

Fine- called cops on him twice for trespassing.

Called Animal Control for his physical abuse of his dog.

Called Building Enforcement for his unfinished and unpermitted addition.

He stopped with the bad behavior.

I am a fan of increasing consequences for bad behavior.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:52 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
The parking situation in NYC is so bad someone wrote a comedy-type book about it. Can't remember the name at the moment, but it was all about the shenanigans people have to go through to get a decent parking spot.

Sorry, I know your plight isn't funny at all, but I guess it has been going on for ages and more people than you have had it up to here with those kind of problems.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:15 PM

75 posts, read 81,814 times
Old threads never die. Just waiting for resurrection.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:15 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I think I would have shamed the nasty woman by very sweetly agreeing to move my car. It's something I learned working at the public library. If someone is antagonistic, kill them with kindness. If it's genuine kindness, they frequently will back down.

In this case, it would be role-modeling for the new neighbor how people on your block expect to be treated.

Of course, you would still have had to move the car in the rain. But honestly, you risk retaliation by responding in kind and that in the long run is not worth the hassle.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:55 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
And that would get you thrown in jail.

Maybe.

OTOH, plenty of murders are never solved. So it's not like cell phone snatchers are a police priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: