Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,185 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to NY from Central FL. He works in security, making $30k a year. I am a RN in a family practice and making about $35k a year. We're looking for a 3-4 bedroom 2 bathroom place to rent. Around where we live right now, that's about $1100-$1200 a month.

I know that the payscale and cost of living are higher in NY, and I was wondering what I should expect us to be paying and earning? I also was wondering what neighborhoods are family-friendly (we have 3 children 2-5), affordable, low crime-rate, with good schools, and not too far from a good hospital? My 5 year old is in remission, but still receiving treatment for leukemia. I know I'm asking a lot, but I've lived in the south my whole life and I have no idea of what to expect. Down here, our power bill is typically around $400, give or take $100, depending on what season it is. We don't have gas in most houses down here, so there's no gas bill. The water bill is typically $100-$120.

What differences should I expect? Any help and answers would be appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
You're both employed in Florida? And I presume you live in a good, safe neighborhood with good schools and a reasonalbe commute for $1100-$1200 a month? And you do this all on $65k income a year? STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!

Why do you want to come to NYC? You have three children and work in very low paying industries. Your standard of living will SUFFER tremendously if you move here. $65k in Florida is $4400/net a month (not including any health insurance or 401k contributions that you take out pre-tax). In NYC, that $65k is $3935/net due to state & city income taxes (approx 8% of your paycheck). So right off the bat, you have less to live on.

Next, wages in NYC. This isn't 2005, it's 2010 and we are in the middle of a massive recession. IF you can both get jobs in NYC, don't expect to make much more than you do now....I would guess $75k MAX for the two of you. And it could possibly be less than you make now.

Next, schools & commute. There are VERY FEW "good" schools in NYC and most of them are in very expensive neighborhoods or far out suburbs. To find anything comprable to what you're paying now in a GOOD, SAFE neighborhood, you'd probably be living pretty deep into New Jersey or in upstate New York. This means a 2-4 hour commute EACH DAY....that is A LOT of time away from your kiddos!!

I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but I think you need a MAJOR reality check. If you're looking for a change of pace in another city, I'd highly suggest looking into Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Nashville, Atlanta, Kansas City, Omaha. Pick a city where the economy has held up decently well and you'll have a better chance of finding good jobs & an affordable cost of living which will provide a good life for your family. You're not a single, free-wheeling 25 year old anymore.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacymom1109 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to NY from Central FL. He works in security, making $30k a year. I am a RN in a family practice and making about $35k a year. We're looking for a 3-4 bedroom 2 bathroom place to rent. Around where we live right now, that's about $1100-$1200 a month.

I know that the payscale and cost of living are higher in NY, and I was wondering what I should expect us to be paying and earning? I also was wondering what neighborhoods are family-friendly (we have 3 children 2-5), affordable, low crime-rate, with good schools, and not too far from a good hospital? My 5 year old is in remission, but still receiving treatment for leukemia. I know I'm asking a lot, but I've lived in the south my whole life and I have no idea of what to expect. Down here, our power bill is typically around $400, give or take $100, depending on what season it is. We don't have gas in most houses down here, so there's no gas bill. The water bill is typically $100-$120.

What differences should I expect? Any help and answers would be appreciated! Thank you!
3-4 bedroom, 2 bathroom in a low crime area with good schools? The first thing I was gonna say was wake up but I figured I just give u a beter comparison; my parents live in a safe low crime area in a 2 bedroom condo with 2 bathrooms (local school still sucks, sorry) and they pay a mortgage of about 3k a month. Tack on another bedroom and u can probably put another grand on top of the 3k.
Simply put-ur looking in the wrong city

Old 09-21-2010, 11:05 PM

185 posts, read 457,679 times
As an RN I am not sure how much your pay scale is going to fluctuate. What does your husband do in security? Something basic may not command much up here, something more higher-level may.
I'm out on Long Island about an hr train to the city and 3br 2bth rentals in a good school district here are close to $2k/mo if not higher. Living in/near the city would probably be higher and the quality of school districts lower.

As far as normal day-to-day expenses. I moved from Florida and would say that your electric bill will be lower in NY. The rates are lower than I paid in Orlando. Your bill will be lower anyway because you will use A/C a lot less. But you will also have oil/gas bills (if not included in rent) Everything is more expensive here. Groceries, gas (auto), taxes, pretty much everything. The only things that I didn't notice get more expensive were auto insurance (mine actually went down - weird, but I don't live in the city I know they have CRAZY high auto ins rates) and...uh...well that's about it.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 AM

176 posts, read 730,274 times
Ms. you need to stay where you are. My husband and I make almost 200k and I can tell you it is hard. We own a home half a million dollars, yes that means your mortgage will be about 3k, plus utilities and if you have kids, the schools here are not good, our kids will go to private school that will cost us another $1500 a month, pluse two cars and insurance. If you rent on limited budget you will be in neighborhood that you dont want to be in stuffed because apartments are quite small compare to where you are coming from. I wish I can tell you that you and your kids will live a great life here but with limited income you will struggle.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
Your doomed.
The grass is NOT greener on this side.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Hospitals here are going bankrupt on a regular basis. You may not find a job here.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacymom1109 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to NY from Central FL. He works in security, making $30k a year. I am a RN in a family practice and making about $35k a year...
First thing you have to figure out is the salary thing.I have never ,ever heard of an RN making so little and I've been around nurses my whole life.Is it because things are so different in Florida or are you only able to work part time ?

The median income for an RN in NYC is about $70,00/yr, so if there is any chance that your income might double there might be something to consider.
I only know nurses in NYC and Boston so I don't know but my neice ,who lives in Boston, makes about $90,000.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM

769 posts, read 2,051,455 times
First of all, I don't know exactly where you live in Florida but in my area a 2 bedroom apartment costs $1100 a month, a 3 bedroom costs $1400 and a 4 bedroom costs $1600. If right now you pay $1100-1200 for 3-4 bedrooms stay where you are.

Second, there are no "affordable" places with a low crime rate and good schools in NYC. Those areas tend to be more expensive for exactly those reasons. I agree with the post above that you should already be making much more than $35k as an RN- even in Florida, and that can easily double or more in NYC but that's if you can find a job. It's not easy getting employers in NYC to consider you from out of state, or at least outside the tri-state area. Not sure what type of security your husband does. If he has at least 60 college credits he can look into the NYPD. They have good benefits and starting pay is okay, gets pretty high after 5-6 years.

Your power bill will be much lower in NYC than FL. Transportation could also cost less if you don't bring cars with you and depending on where you work/live. Most things I have found are similarly priced, but then again I'm comparing to my area in FL and if rent is so cheap in your city everything else might be too. Food, clothing, daily necessities, etc are going to be about the same.

Just keep in mind you will spend A LOT of money when you first move on fall & winter clothes if you are coming from FL with a family of 5. You will need heavy coats, jackets for when it's cold but not freezing, scarves, hats, gloves, possibly snow boots/shoes, long sleeve shirts, sweaters, etc for everyone. We will be making the move soon with just my husband and I and are budgeting $1,000 for clothing, assuming we go to NJ or Westchester to buy it and look for sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City