Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,175 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 25 year old single female working as a physician assistant In eastern Pennsylvania. I am looking to move to NY (hopefully Manhattan but haven't completely ruled out Hoboken/Brooklyn). i will most likely be working at one of the major hospitals.
What are the best neighborhoods to live in for young single professionals and the best way to find an apartment? I would want my own bedroom but am not opposed to living with others. I am looking for something relatively clean and quiet (not times square!) but not too far from the action/subway. My parents live in Long Island So I would leave my car with them. Planning to spend about 1200 a month but more or less would be fine depending on size/location.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,518 times
Hi,

I think for your budget of $1200, it will be difficult to find a 1-bedroom apt on your own in Manhattan. If Manhattan is your goal, you will definitely need to look for roommate(s). You can try craigslist as a start, but be careful about bait-and-switch ads on craigslist. You can go with a realtor, but they will generally charge you a fee, which will be a percentage of your annual rent. There are plenty of websites you can try too like apartments.com and I think another one that specializes in roommates (can't think of the name right now, Google is your friend!).

Hoboken is really nice but is expensive as well. Another thing to keep in mind about jersey is depending on where you'll be working, you might have a added expense with the NJ Transit/Path and then taking the subway.

I am Queens and that could be an option too, nicer areas like Forest Hills is a safe area with plenty of restaurants and shops and is about 30 minutes into midtown manhattan via express train. Also, for your budget you might also be able to find your own apartment. Whats also good (or bad depending on your perspective), is there is a LIRR station in Forest Hills that you can jump on and visit your parents out in Long Island.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
Take a look at the sticky at the top of the forum, 'Need info on moving to NYC.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City