Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 04:59 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times

Advertisements

Combination of population density and cultural norms. Some cultures are more tolerant of filth than others, which partially explains why similarly populous cities like Tokyo are so clean. Tokyo is mostly Japanese people. NYC is human fondue by comparison. All walks of life from all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 05:03 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why is New york so Dirty?Should we blame Bloomberg?
Everywhere is filthy from the streets to the subways
Bloomberg isn't down in those subways tossing leftover McDonald wrappers out, peeing in the corners, leaving newspapers laying around...doubt he is totally aware of how bad it truly is and that could be where a person starts to help make it better...let him know. Part of that filth is that there are too many people who just don't care what they do with their trash and that is sad..a lack of pride in their city. "Oh, the city crews will pick it up". I live in the suburbs in Conn. and it gets bad out here in "Joe Q Average American Land" as well. I can't tell you how many times we have picked up leftover trash from the sides of the road in front of our home and on the side street as well. I finally had enough and sent our Mayor an email. He did respond and now we will have to see what happens.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:22 PM

255 posts, read 475,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The cars may not be decaying, and some are new. The stations on the other hand, are still decaying. Literally. Every time it rains you see water coming into the stations, causing more damage to to the concrete. Yeah, they've recently slapped a new coat of paint on some of the stations, and replaced some of the light bulbs, but the paint won't last on crumbling concrete and the lights just let you see the decay.
That's not decay, that's normal for any structure that's been around before most neighborhoods in this city existed.

Decay was the West End Elevated (B) line crumbling in the 70s. Decay is the near collapse of the Williamsburg and Manhattan Bridges in the 80s. There is only 1 station in the NYC transit system that is truly decaying, and that is the Chambers Street (J)<Z> station. I believe a rehabilitation project is due in the MTA's 2015-2019 Capital budget so it's coming.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:01 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Anyone who has traveled to other cities in the United States knows that New York City is one of the dirtiest.
Las Vegas is much dirtier than NYC, Chicago looked about the same. I live just outside Toronto and commute downtown everyday, and I can vouch that Toronto is much filthier than NYC. At least the parks in Manhattan are well maintained and litter-free for the most part. Toronto's parks look like overgrown vacant lots.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Update: Why is NY so dirty.

While walking to my car, 2 teen boys were obviously drinking bottles water, they were done with the water and had to get rid of the bottle, so instead of waiting to get to the corner to throw it in the already overflowing garbage pail, they threw their plastic water bottles into someones tree pit and continued walking.

This folks is why NY is so disgusting.

I say get rid of bottled water, thus reducing recycling and plastic bottles thrown all over the place.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:00 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Also, maybe you are very young, but NYC look worse dirtier before Bloomberg. More dirty, decaying and way more graffiti everywhere.
I second that. Ever seen Philly? NYC is nothing compared to most US cities in terms of filth.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Bloomberg isn't down in those subways tossing leftover McDonald wrappers out, peeing in the corners, leaving newspapers laying around...doubt he is totally aware of how bad it truly is and that could be where a person starts to help make it better...let him know. Part of that filth is that there are too many people who just don't care what they do with their trash and that is sad..a lack of pride in their city. "Oh, the city crews will pick it up". I live in the suburbs in Conn. and it gets bad out here in "Joe Q Average American Land" as well. I can't tell you how many times we have picked up leftover trash from the sides of the road in front of our home and on the side street as well. I finally had enough and sent our Mayor an email. He did respond and now we will have to see what happens.
His policies helped New York stay dirty.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
Decaying? The subway hasn't been "decaying" since the late 1980s. Get up to speed, please.
They are decaying. Just go down down into a few & see rust, cracks in cement fixtures & filth everywhere.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:55 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Las Vegas is much dirtier than NYC, Chicago looked about the same. I live just outside Toronto and commute downtown everyday, and I can vouch that Toronto is much filthier than NYC. At least the parks in Manhattan are well maintained and litter-free for the most part. Toronto's parks look like overgrown vacant lots.
...this is just false

Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
That's not decay, that's normal for any structure that's been around before most neighborhoods in this city existed.
Yes, that's decay. Decay is pretty normal, but that doesn't make it anything else. It doesn't have to proceed to structural failure before it becomes decay. That first flake of spalled concrete -- that's decay. And NYC subway stations are long past the first flake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City