Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 03:01 PM

85 posts, read 367,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I have - No Sh-t- been authorized to receive AND distribute automatic weaponry with less paperwork than is required for an NYC rental application.

Been at my job for over a year, full time.
Clean legal history
Clean military history, 7 years active
Bank account statements that can pay 2+ years up front
Credit scores all 3 are 700<
No debt at all
Good standing with current landlord

...but because of that 40x rule, I can't get a fuc-ing thing. 1,800 is the general average for studios or 1-bedrooms. That requires a salary of $72,000 . Many people in NYC will never make that and even secure jobs like firemen and cops have to reach a 5 year mark before they even begin to qualify for even the low end average.

I FUC-ING HATE THAT RULE!!

Problem is landlords are allowed to do it because the demand means somebody will pay that and, the tenant laws make collecting a disaster for landlords. Landlords cannot even complete filing a claim for unpaid rent until 60 days. An eviction notice requires another 30 days before Marshalls are notified. All these are minimum figures.

Even after all that, checking out some sh-thole studios in the Bronx (multiple roaches during the open house), you got desperate people that will bunch up 3 or 4 to such a place, sign a lease, without even having seen it.

You would think with prices permanently on the rise like this, people would leave but, the demand never drops because NYC is the only complete functional municipal economy. By that I mean that sure LA has Hollywood, San Fran has tech, Orlando has tourism etc... lots of cities have their moneymakers but NYC is the only one with so many different sectors. Also, even leveraging tariffs and other fees on international buyers would not help increase housing availability since the demand is so high they would pay anyway, since NYC is such an effective holding commodity.

Like if you bought 5 million dollars worth of oil, gold, wheat, lithium or whatever, or a single penthouse or brownstone in Harlem in Manhattan, the real estate in Manhattan would be guaranteed to give you a better return over any length of time!

This problem is likely never to go away until the US gets another multi-demand city.
Hope you found a good place for yourself..But my advice to you is find another city to rent in....NYC has become an overpriced roach infested sh*t hole....With the high prices to rent these days, all you get there is a small tiny closet...My opinion is that only a moron would pay 2K or more to rent a small space...And as long as you have these idiots willing to pay these crazy prices, landlords will take advantage of that and continue with these crazy rent prices and moronic "40x the rent rule".....The people that agree to these rules are very likely having their rents paid for them by their mommys and daddys so it doesnt affect them...Good luck bud!

Last edited by mike12326; 08-28-2022 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 11:07 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike12326 View Post
Hope you found a good place for yourself..But my advice to you is find another city to rent in....NYC has become an overpriced roach infested sh*t hole....With the high prices to rent these days, all you get there is a small tiny closet...My opinion is that only a moron would pay 2K or more to rent a small space...And as long as you have these idiots willing to pay these crazy prices, landlords will take advantage of that and continue with these crazy rent prices and moronic "40x the rent rule".....The people that agree to these rules are very likely having their rents paid for them by their mommys and daddys so it doesnt affect them...Good luck bud!

the original post is 12 years old.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:43 AM

85 posts, read 367,877 times
Who cares if this post is 100 years old..If its still active then anyone here is free to post

Old 09-17-2022, 08:33 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,605,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike12326 View Post
Who cares if this post is 100 years old..If its still active then anyone here is free to post
They point it out to you because the advice you are giving will mostly never be heard by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: