Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,281 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am flying to Chicago from London next week for my sister's wedding, and I have a layover in New York that would allow me to be in Manhattan from 5pm to 3am on Thursday night. This is my first time in the States so I'd like to see New York. I have a good idea of what I want to see and do, but I'm not sure of what to do late at night. I'm a 22 yr old girl and I don't know anyone in New York, so I was wondering, what areas would be safe for me to be alone in between 1am and 3am?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,358,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiffChick View Post
Hello!

I am flying to Chicago from London next week for my sister's wedding, and I have a layover in New York that would allow me to be in Manhattan from 5pm to 3am on Thursday night. This is my first time in the States so I'd like to see New York. I have a good idea of what I want to see and do, but I'm not sure of what to do late at night. I'm a 22 yr old girl and I don't know anyone in New York, so I was wondering, what areas would be safe for me to be alone in between 1am and 3am?

Thanks.

Hmm, well certainly you can see some of Manhattan on a Thursday evening. Will your luggage be checked straight through from London to Chicago? - because it will be difficult to see much if you're lugging arround your suitcase.

Here's a good night-time tour of some of the major attractions & also fun neighborhoods for a 22 year old girl-->

1. I recommend going straight to Rockefeller Center (5th Avenue & 50th Street or so). St Patrick's Cathedral is across the street, which is open almost 24 hours a day and is beautiful. It is the most famous church in the US. Saks Fifth Avenue is right across the street, which is a gorgeous expensive department store & usually has very pretty windows to look at from the street.

2. Find "Top of the Rock" which is the observation deck on top of Rock Center. It's pricey ($20 USD or so) but it will give you a great view of all of Manhattan & the boroughs. You'll be able to see the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty (in the distance), Times Square (birds eye view), Central Park, and all of the beautiful bridges surrounding the island.

3. Next, head to Times Square to soak up the "world's biggest advertisement". This is a few blocks' walk from Rockefeller Center.

4. Hop on the subway or hail a cab and head downtown to see where they young people live & play. Start in the New York University Area (5th Ave & 10th-ish Street). You'll see the grand Washington Square Arch (famous from "Friends" re-runs, if you ever watched that US show in the UK). Bleeker Street has a lot of restaurants & college/post-college bars along it. Find a place to have dinner there!

5. Keep walking east into the East Village, where you can have another drink and enjoy the downtown/street scene in NYC. Then take a cab back to the airport around 1-2am.

The only big things you won't be able to see are Central Park (too dark, and not a good place to go alone at dark because it's rather empty) and the museums (closed by 5pm).

You'll be safe in Manhattan- the major neighborhoods/ tourist areas I outlined above are all very, very safe, but just as in London, use your street smarts (don't flash cash, drink until you're drunk, etc).

Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 AM

43,807 posts, read 44,579,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Hmm, well certainly you can see some of Manhattan on a Thursday evening. Will your luggage be checked straight through from London to Chicago? - because it will be difficult to see much if you're lugging arround your suitcase.

Here's a good night-time tour of some of the major attractions & also fun neighborhoods for a 22 year old girl-->

2. Find "Top of the Rock" which is the observation deck on top of Rock Center. It's pricey ($20 USD or so) but it will give you a great view of all of Manhattan & the boroughs. You'll be able to see the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty (in the distance), Times Square (birds eye view), Central Park, and all of the beautiful bridges surrounding the island.

You'll be safe in Manhattan- the major neighborhoods/ tourist areas I outlined above are all very, very safe, but just as in London, use your street smarts (don't flash cash, drink until you're drunk, etc).
You can also visit the Empire State Bldg. as an alternative to the "Top of the Rock". (The Empire State Bldg. is open until 2AM.)

Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,358,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You can also visit the Empire State Bldg. as an alternative to the "Top of the Rock". (The Empire State Bldg. is open until 2AM.)
I thought about that, but - to me- the best thing about Top of the Rock IS the stellar view of the Empire State Building....which you don't get when you're on the ESB observation deck.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:24 AM

769 posts, read 2,053,802 times
Make sure you leave enough time to get to Manhattan and back to the airport. I'm assuming this layover is at JFK since you are going to London. Going from JFK to Manhattan at 5pm will not be pleasant regardless of how you do it (train, shuttle bus, cab, etc). At 3am you'll be fine- just make sure you know how you are going to get back. The private shuttles will not run, and you might want to check the MTA website if you are taking the train to make sure there are no planned downtimes. Also, there will not be an abundance of yellow cabs on the streets at that time. You might also want to take a phone number for one of the private cab services in case you have to call one.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 AM

527 posts, read 1,021,392 times
it sounds like turtle creek gave you the perfect itinerary! Enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: