Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 AM

8 posts, read 32,676 times

Advertisements

After having read and thought about moving to NYC for so long now. I'm ready to commit. I've actually got a some offers for jobs and all of them are in Manhattan. Knowing my sleeping habits. Commuting is not for me. Heres my specs:

Single White 25 yr old Male. Expected Salary: $75K-85K I'm an artsy, musical, bar going type. I work in Software Engineering and my offers are for jobs in Chelsea & midtown. My other expenses are about $500 a month. No vehicle and I don't plan on getting one; I want to live the real new yorker life!

What neighborhood would I fit into? (Both socially and finacially)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,368,719 times
If you want Manhattan, check out Lower East Side or East Village. You should definitely be able to find a studio or small 1 br apartment under the 40x rule (ie, your salary divided by 40 is the monthly rent you qualify for...you'd be around $2000/mo).

Old 11-02-2010, 09:40 AM

824 posts, read 2,796,176 times
Chelsea would be nice....if too expensive what about Williamsburg in Brooklyn, around Bedford Ave., this is the first stop on the L train in Brooklyn so it is very fast to Manhattan. Still a pretty hipster (does arty, musical, bar-going mean hipster? I have friends there who are arty & musical but maybe too old to be called hipster. But the neighborhood is still full of people your age) neighborhood I think. Do a Google street view of Bedford Ave by the L stop and you can see it has the bars & stores & music venues that you may like...For perhaps less money some of the types you might feel familiar with are moving a few more subway stops east, say the Montrose Ave stop on the L train.

Last edited by nyctc7; 11-02-2010 at 09:54 AM..

Old 11-02-2010, 10:40 AM

8 posts, read 32,676 times
Not sure if I'm a hipster, but I'm still not familiar with what that term particularly means. Though I guess if its artsy, musical, bar going around my age then yes thats me! I know pretty zilch about fashion, don't really care too, and I'm really going to NYC because this is my dream job. So I'm just trying to place myself somewhere that I will best fit in since I'm not your northern big city type who stays ontop of fashion and other trends. I wear a suit and tie all day at work; when I'm off work I want to be comfortable and have fun. I know that I'm going off movie based stereotypes but after reading around the forum it doesn't seem too far off in some areas.

Does this make sense of what I'm looking for? Affordability #1, #2 people who are less fashion/money oriented, #3 proximity to work, and then #4 accessibility to nightlife.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 AM

824 posts, read 2,796,176 times
Maybe Murray Hill. Lots of recent college grads who are professionals, good bar scene on 3rd Ave, though it is more yuppie/frat boy than artsy. But it is not too far from the Lower East Side or East Village. A little further south than Murray Hill is Gramercy/Flatiron/Union Square. It is also populated by professionals and is even closer to the bars/music venues of the Village. Tribeca might be too upscale & expensive these days, I'm not sure.

Williamsburg Brooklyn in many spots is becoming more 'professional'--upscale condos and such. Might be a good mix of professionals side by side with artsy types.

Lower East Side and East Village---nice places to visit, not sure if I'd like to live there. YMMV

Last edited by nyctc7; 11-02-2010 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City