Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 22,766 times

Advertisements

Hello,

There is a strong possibility that my family will be moving to the Claremont, Bronx area.

To the west of Crotona park, down the block from it's west side, around 174th.

I'm just wondering as to how safe it is around there, during the daytime, and night time.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 05:35 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
Not safe and very very poor.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:21 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,531 times
I agree w/ SuperMario...not the best area for a family. I lived on 175th near Crotona (on the east side) and it's definitely a very poor area. A lot of drug activity, especially at the park and it's just overall not a good place to live for a single person let alone a family...but if you guys don't have a choice...ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Make sure to visit the area at all times of the day to get a feel for what the vibe is like. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM

Thanks a lot guys. What about the west side, on the other side of the park?

Old 10-30-2010, 05:59 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
Default more of same

--

Old 10-31-2010, 04:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoner View Post
Thanks a lot guys. What about the west side, on the other side of the park?
the other side of clarimont by west side of crotona park is not good either its just a bad, I would not recomend that area for nobody unless thier on some sort of section8. Its either try moving further further south into the southern tip of the south Bronx called mott haven or try the yankee stadium area or move further up to Little Italy by belmont or near to the Bronx zoo. Try the outskirts of the South Bronx if you like anything in particular.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
RUN! Kidding, but you should be aware that the community has its challenges. You did not indicate where it is you are coming from? Detroit? Camden? Bed-Stuy? East NY? If so, you should be alright in Claremont, otherwise it will definitely be culture shock. Are the primary breadwinners working in Manhattan? Will young kids be going to school? Why are you moving to Claremont in the first place?

What I can say good about the area is that it has the largest pool in NYC (I believe) in Crotona Park, and jogging around the reservoir/lake is nice. It is very affordable, I believe the central Bronx is the most affordable area in NYC. You are walking distance to Arthur Ave, which has great restaurants and amenities, bars, etc....and you can interact with Fordham students.

Other than that, you are basically dealing with subsidized tenants with little regard for themselves or their community. The neighborhood has the same challenges as most impoverished communities in NYC. I would recommend moving further South towards Yankee Stadium area, or further North towards Bedford Park.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 11-01-2010 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,834 times
Not the best part of the Bronx, and I believe the train station would be a long walk, so most likely would end up being a two-fare zone for you..

Old 11-02-2010, 04:30 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,756 times
yeah its a walk to the train, it isn't the best place for a family. I'd say there are some good blocks in there sandwiched in between some very bad ones.

Although I will say that they've made some great improvements/refurbishing to Crotona Park in recent years. I agree with Sobro, the area is very affordable but one of the real deal killers is the walk to the train.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks a lot you guys. I really appreciate all of your replies.

We're moving from Pelham Parkway because we can't pay rent anymore, and wew'd be getting assistance for an apartment there. We've lived in Washington Heights before, so I guess this won't be too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: