Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:55 AM

201 posts, read 1,282,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
May I remind you to just be prepared. At 25K a year, you will have to do some serious budgeting in this city! Not that it can't be done, but like I said, be prepared.

And at 17, your situation in this city may be a bit more difficult, if not much more. As someone said, Landlords want someone who's stable. And that normally means older, and more established economically and employment-wise.

I know a lot of people won't like this, but due to your salary, don't totally write off public housing or having a Section 8 voucher! Every PJ isn't bad (research, and put in applcations for the good ones--there are some good ones!), and at your salary, use that residence as a stepping stone until you can get more financially established.
I can't see myself living in a PJ or even accross the street from one no matter how "Nice" it is...
Maybe give me some info, sites, and places to call, ETC... to work with just so I can research more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Also thanks alot to Briarwood, and JohnDoe for the encouragement, and Scatman for the info/help.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
Also thanks alot to Briarwood, and JohnDoe for the encouragement, and Scatman for the info/help.
NYC Affordable Housing Resource Center

Old 07-11-2007, 01:02 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
No advice, no links
But admire your determination kiddo...Good Luck

Old 07-11-2007, 01:53 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
May I remind you to just be prepared. At 25K a year, you will have to do some serious budgeting in this city! Not that it can't be done, but like I said, be prepared.

And at 17, your situation in this city may be a bit more difficult, if not much more. As someone said, Landlords want someone who's stable. And that normally means older, and more established economically and employment-wise.

I know a lot of people won't like this, but due to your salary, don't totally write off public housing or having a Section 8 voucher! Every PJ isn't bad (research, and put in applcations for the good ones--there are some good ones!), and at your salary, use that residence as a stepping stone until you can get more financially established.
Every PJ isn't bad? Even the ones with lower crime rates have problems with mainatance.

Your recomending a White kid from outside NY to live in the PJ's? Your crazy. The ****ed up thing is you can't choose what project you want to live in. You are assigned by borough and need. Guess what PJ's have the latest openings. Not the okay ones in south Staten Island or Northeastern Queens.

A 17-18 year old White kid alone in the projects is fresh meat.

Not the greatest advice. Even if he did fill an application, it could take YEARS for him to even get an apartment.

And section 8. Haha! Bad thing is buildings with high concentration of section 8 are some of the worst buildings ever in messed up neighborhoods.

And subsidized housing, LAMP, all that. AVOID. Same as the projects.

I think this guy would love a market rate new construction or a very nice gut renovated converted tenement on the LES. It looks ghetto, graffiti, run down looking buildings here and there, lots of Hip Hop events and stores. Avenue D and the projects are the hood though, so as long as he stays clear of that unless he likes getting high he will be okay for the most part.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Every PJ isn't bad? Even the ones with lower crime rates have problems with mainatance.

Your recomending a White kid from outside NY to live in the PJ's? Your crazy. The ****ed up thing is you can't choose what project you want to live in. You are assigned by borough and need. Guess what PJ's have the latest openings. Not the okay ones in south Staten Island or Northeastern Queens.

Not the greatest advice. Even if he did fill an application, it could take YEARS for him to even get an apartment.

And section 8. Haha! Bad thing is buildings with high concentration of section 8 are some of the worst buildings ever in messed up neighborhoods.

I think this guy would love a market rate new construction or a very nice gut renovated converted tenement on the LES. It looks ghetto, graffiti, run down looking buildings here and there, lots of Hip Hop events and stores. Avenue D and the projects are the hood though, so as long as he stays clear of that unless he likes getting high he will be okay for the most part.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking...
And what you mentioned really is what I'm looking for. I don't care what the place LOOKS like. I just want a place that on the inside is nice, and works well with no roaches or anything. There can be crime, but I don't wanna live in the Projects or the Ghetto...
BTW, I don't smoke, or drink.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
Yeah, thats what I was thinking...
And what you mentioned really is what I'm looking for. I don't care what the place LOOKS like. I just want a place that on the inside is nice, and works well with no roaches or anything. There can be crime, but I don't wanna live in the Projects or the Ghetto...
BTW, I don't smoke, or drink.
Yea, and even the "okay" projects have problems with crime. Concentrated poverty.

But yes the LES is great for you.

Here is what it looks like from the air:

It looks ghetto but it's decent. It has it's problems. It is highest crime section of Manhattan South. Muggings are common in the overall area but that's really it. Oh and bar/alcohol related fights on the street. Thanks to clubs and bars you know how that is. Most of the crazy stuff goes on along the East River in the mega row of public housing projects (you can see one development along the top edge of the picture) or spilled out onto Avenue D. All the shootouts and jumpings. It's where the drug trade is the strongest also. As long as you avoid that I doubt you will have any real problems. Just watch your back at night.

Hopefully the yuppies don't make the area too corney over time. Although I don't like how they displaced all the PR's and Blacks (well the last of them living in the shells).

Oh and make sure you check out the building first. Especially if you move into a tenement. There are a good number of run down buildings in the area, like the row in the foreground of that picture. Just make sure you check out the inside.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post

More white folk are in or are next to public housing than you think. See Hasidim in/near Marcy, and Russians in Southern Brooklyn.

I was only giving him options. I never set it in stone.

If the young man can get into an affordable, gutted property on the LES, more power to him. My experiences is that "affordable" and "LES" is becoming hardly in the same sentence anymore.

Oh, yeah, $25K and market rate.....Good luck!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
More white folk are in or are next to public housing than you think. See Hasidim in/near Marcy, and Russians in Southern Brooklyn.

I was only giving him options. I never set it in stone.

If the young man can get into an affordable, gutted property on the LES, more power to him. My experiences is that "affordable" and "LES" is becoming hardly in the same sentence anymore.

Oh, yeah, $25K and market rate.....Good luck!
It's tough getting into those developments, and once your in the locals won't want you there.

Hopefully he will be able to make more. I'm sure he won't be leaving anytime soon. Only 17. If anything he will need some roomates when the time comes.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:25 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
The LES is expensive! Virtually anywhere in Manhattan is expensive. Take a look at the listings in, say, the Village Voice online to get an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: