Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:43 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,387,879 times

Advertisements

Thanks for being a hater and spreading ignorance Hitokiri. You should be concerned with what your slumlord is doing and the gangs in the projects in your neighborhood, not here, and save the negativity for your friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 02:51 PM

121 posts, read 388,072 times
how do you apply for these apartments? i'm struggling over here

Old 12-07-2010, 02:57 PM

Go to the website, it is pretty self explanatory. You should note that they have strict credit, income guidelines(among other things), so if you have so-so credit, unreliable income, a bankruptcy, or don't fall in their income guidelines, you will not get an apt.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:01 PM

121 posts, read 388,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Go to the website, it is pretty self explanatory. You should note that they have strict credit, income guidelines(among other things), so if you have so-so credit, unreliable income, a bankruptcy, or don't fall in their income guidelines, you will not get an apt.
my credit is good, income, well i make 200 dollars a week aside from my check. arghhh i just need my own apartment living with my parents is too stressful

can you give me the link to apply please? or request an application, pretty please, sorry if i'm bothering you

Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 PM

556 posts, read 1,446,764 times
These buildings always have the same look to them in the mockups. I passed through Melrose on the way to the Tour De Bronx and marvelled at tall the new buildings. then I remember seeing what the renerings of those buildings looked like. Street feels felt the same as other areas surrounding it.

Theres a bunch of those "new" looking developments around from the 90's with their teal colors that look absolutly trashy today. I do not see these being to much different.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,643,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
These buildings always have the same look to them in the mockups. I passed through Melrose on the way to the Tour De Bronx and marvelled at tall the new buildings. then I remember seeing what the renerings of those buildings looked like. Street feels felt the same as other areas surrounding it.

Theres a bunch of those "new" looking developments around from the 90's with their teal colors that look absolutly trashy today. I do not see these being to much different.
It's better than havng empty, depressing looking lots.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Westbury they are generally similar, however I believe they are very visually appealing, and are 10,000x better than the older tenements and housing projects in the area. I agree that some of the older new housing in the early 90s wasn't the prettiest, but it was before the strategic plan they have in place, and before affordable housing in NYC became the powerhouse it is today. Back in the early 90s, people were leaving in droves still, and the building occurring in these communities was not cohesive or "big picture"...just some small time builders putting up some homes and the city rubber stamped them since nobody else would build there.

I think they are a great addition to the community, redevelop vacant lots, and offer new green and sustainable initiatives...nevermind that they are home to the current and future working/middle class of NYC. What's not to like about that?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM

556 posts, read 1,446,764 times
It just looks like they need alot of upkeep...with people paying below market rates, who will be footing the bill?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Well some of the affordable housing developments are co-ops/condos, so the owners would be doing the upkeep. As far as the rentals, almost all are exclusively city financed or co-operatively financed with private banks/investors at very low rates. The city is not making money off these buildings directly, and it shouldn't be, however it is providing housing for the taxpaying working/middle class NYers who are the ones leaving for the suburbs, and are the backbone of the city.

In the bigger picture, you can have these workers leave to the suburbs and have a hallowing out of the city with just rich and poor remaining, or you can have a more dynamic city with a variety of incomes and tax paying workers who keep the city running, like postal, sanitation, teachers, and most other city/state workers. The city is making a wise decision and not only making a place specifically for the working/middle class, but also revitalizing these communities, increasing the tax base by cultivating more businesses to support these new residents, and maintaining/expanding an employee base of workers. So in that regard, the city will reap the rewards and then some.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:16 PM

730 posts, read 2,055,254 times
I agree that these developments are needed for Melrose. It is better to have working/middle class folks add some sense of stability to an area known for being mostly poor rather than having an abandoned lot that causes property values to drop.

I can't wait till St. Ann's Terrace, as well as Courtlandt Corners, Boricua Village, and other developments are done. It seems like yesterday when these lots were all abandoned and the Bx6 stop on Elton/161st was jokingly known as "the stop to nowhere."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City