Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 PM

11 posts, read 21,610 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I'm going to be visiting New York in March and am considering staying at the Broadway Hostel at the corner of Broadway and W 101st street.

I am a 24 year old female and will be travelling alone - I have been to New York once before and stayed around W26th st area and was travelling with family that time. I don't know any one who lives in the city.

My interest in this hostel is due to their private rooms looking decent and being in a very affordable price range - at most I would want to pay $100 per night for my accommodation in New York, and I plan on staying for just under 3 weeks.

The hostel's website states that it is two blocks from the No.1 train subway stop (103rd Street Station). My question is, how safe would I be catching the subway alone (eg from further downtown) at night, and walking back to the hostel from there? Is there anything (decent bars / restaurants / other) located close by that are open at nights in the area?

Basically I'm not interested too much in doing typical touristy things, and would rather experience a taste of the real NYC - if you're a New York native - what are your best suggestions for things to do?

Thinking also of taking a train up to Montreal for a few days, and would also like to visit some nice places along Long Island, and possibly (if the snow season is good), go see some snow in Vermont!

I will be so grateful for all of your suggestions!

Thanks heaps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 PM

5,525 posts, read 8,796,099 times
Do not know that hotel at all, but the no 1 train coming uptown to 103rd st is a local and usually pretty crowded, even late at night, and especially on Fri and Sat nights.You may see a homeless guy or two hanging around at night and the area still has some transitional housing, so there may be a seedy guy or gal around late at night, but it is NOT unsafe because it is still basically a middle-class neighborhood. There is, however, little to no night life in this stretch of Broadway, but there are some moderately priced (for New York) restaurants on Bdway will be open a bit late at night. Chicken at Flor de Mayo is great but there are lots of ethnic restaurants on this stretch of Bdway. There's also a jazz club at 106th (Smoke) that is decent, and the Columbia U campus area, which is of course more student oriented, starts at 110th & Bdway. But generally, this is not a destination neighborhood. With the usual precautions however, it is reasonably safe.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,565,345 times
its ok, it'd be better if you were 10 -15 blocks south imo

but, i'm just nitpicking, i'd love to live there right about now

Old 12-06-2010, 07:59 PM

26 posts, read 70,143 times
It is safe in that area and is usually quite crowded.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the quick replies - though, do you have any suggestions of another area that would better suit (ie still balance safety with better night life/proximity to things)? Then I could have a look for some accommodation in those areas!

Thanks again!

Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread with more questions, but, changing direction completely, what about the area around the Pod Hotel on E 51st between 2nd & 3rd Avenue? Safe at night? It changes my accommodation budget a little but looks to be a much nicer place, and perhaps more central?

Thanks!!

Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 AM

64 posts, read 161,841 times
I just stayed at the jazz hostel in harlem... Harlem is considered a bad area but i felt very safe. It was a GREAT experience! Made lpts of friends & it was clean! Just read the reviews on the hostel & if they are mainly good go for it. I would definitely recromend the jazz on lenix hostel in harlen. Very close to 2 train. Have fun!!!!

O btw i chose the 8bed femAle dorm room at the hostel. I payed $30/night!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,356,412 times
The pod hotel is in a much better area if your main goal is sight-seeing. It eliminates the 20 minute train ride/waiting time from 103rd into the midtown area and puts you much closer to downtown nightlife.

W 103 is perfectly fine though- it's an area caught between the residential upper west side and the Columbia university area. Lots of students & student oriented places (relatively inexpensive bars, etc).

Old 12-07-2010, 08:22 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,847,627 times
As another 24 year old female (im a tiny girl) I would recommend Chelsea International Hostel. I live near it and it is right across from the Police station. I see lots of girl coming and going. As someone who lives in the area I have come and gone at all our of the night and never had an issue. Its a really gay area actually. And it's much closer to all the young people night life. I can walk to the Meatpacking District and West Village and a cab to the lower east side is $7. I would definitly look into it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City