Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:33 AM

721 posts, read 1,209,679 times

Advertisements

Once in a while I was woken up by loud TV. It was from the living room of my next-door, because my bedroom is next to the living room of my next-door. Sometimes this happens at 3AM, and causes a lot of stress.

Each time, I had to call the front-desk in my building. It would take about half an hour for the front-desk to dispatch someone to intervene. As a result, I lost my sleep.

What are my options to stop my neighbor from doing this again? If she/he doesn't change, can I break my rental lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Maybe try leaving a note on the door of the neighbor? What about speaking to them?

If you speak them to be polite and ask them if they could keep it down because it's keeping you awake.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 AM

138 posts, read 373,386 times
well where i used to live we handled this by taking a broom and hitting the wall, but i don't think you can do that nowadays people are too sensitive(including myself) lol.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 AM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times
Not sure if you are stabilized or not, (probably not) but unfortunately breaking a lease is probably not an option. Under stabilization rules which are more tenant freindly than leases written for the rest of us, it is considered a de minimus condition. Not constituting a loss of service.

People have very little sympathy for others with noise complaints for some reason. Most threads on here have posts telling people to go back to Iowa or have respect for differences in cultures etc. Like Statz2k10 says, try pounding on their door instead of calling the front desk. It could solve the problem much quicker then waiting around for someone else.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
Once in a while I was woken up by loud TV. It was from the living room of my next-door, because my bedroom is next to the living room of my next-door. Sometimes this happens at 3AM, and causes a lot of stress.

Each time, I had to call the front-desk in my building. It would take about half an hour for the front-desk to dispatch someone to intervene. As a result, I lost my sleep.

What are my options to stop my neighbor from doing this again? If she/he doesn't change, can I break my rental lease?
The reason I finally gave up apartment dwelling. I had two such neighbors in New York and one here in DC. Three different people who had one thing in common. They honestly had no consideration when it came to noise and would scream in defiance.

Anyway, if you are handy, get some 1) Sheets of homasote board and 2) Acoustic foam. Cut the board to cover the wall connecting to the tv room. Make panels that are floor to ceiling length. then cut the foam to fit the panels. Glue it to the back of the board. Set it up so that you create barrier. Paint it or cover it with cloth or posters. It will buffer the sound somewhat.

Good luck.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Welcome to NYC.
Keep your trap shut and enjoy your stay.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:43 AM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
Welcome to NYC.
Keep your trap shut and enjoy your stay.
See what I mean?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
The best thing to do, well maybe not the best, but YOU are the one that has to handle it, not the super, the LL or anyone else.

the next time it happens, go right to their door and let them know that this is not acceptable, and trust me, SAY IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT.

I am so sick of inconsiderate apartment dwellers.......

Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and trust me, SAY IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT.
Your gonna get this guy shot

Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
The best thing to do, well maybe not the best, but YOU are the one that has to handle it, not the super, the LL or anyone else.

the next time it happens, go right to their door and let them know that this is not acceptable, and trust me, SAY IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT.

I am so sick of inconsiderate apartment dwellers.......

Good recommendation. I'll state the opposite. Don't do this.

Last time my cousin did this, the other tenants didn't like it too much and he got a 40oz smashed over his head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: