Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:34 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

For mexican I recommend Tortilla flats. But only for lunch since you will have kids with you. At night it's a bar scene, but when I go for lunch or brunch there are many families there. 12th and washington in the west village. Sometimes they let you decorate pictures for the walls and menus. It's a real one of a kind place and not too expensive.

Tortilla Flats Restaurant, New York City | Burritos | Top Shelf Tequillas | PARTY!

Don't let the website scare you, when I go in the afternoon there are ALOT of families there. But at night (like after 8) it gets kind of crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 05:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Two things:

1. You catch the Staten Island ferry very close to where the ferries to Ellis Island & Statue of Liberty, so you wouldn't have to modify any of your WTC, Wall Street, etc plans. However- I want to be sure you understand that the Staten Island Ferry makes 2 stops: Manhattan & Staten Island. It does not stop at the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island. If you just want to see the statue from afar (but not too far!) and take pics, the ferry is a good - and free- idea. Just be sure to stand on the side of the boat that will face Lady Liberty. If you wanted to tour the Ellis Island museum and get up close to the statue, the ferry isn't a good match.

2. Re: Mexican food in NYC. It depends on where you are from. If you are from Texas, California or any other state with good Tex-Mex, avoid all Mexican food in NYC as it basically sucks compared to what you eat at home. If you are from the north/ Midwest, the Mexicsn food is probably comprable to what you eat at home. I am a native Texan and once got in an arguement with an Eastern European waitress because she brought me a burrito when I ordered enchiladas. It turned out the "chef" didn't even know the difference between the two and had the wrong item on the menu for basically forever.

Even if you normally eat American & Italian food at home, branch out in NYC! Try Chinese or Greek food- there's tons of it and usually the ethnic food restaurants are less expensive than the American/ Continental places.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:21 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
2. Re: Mexican food in NYC. It depends on where you are from. If you are from Texas, California or any other state with good Tex-Mex, avoid all Mexican food in NYC as it basically sucks compared to what you eat at home. If you are from the north/ Midwest, the Mexicsn food is probably comprable to what you eat at home. I am a native Texan and once got in an arguement with an Eastern European waitress because she brought me a burrito when I ordered enchiladas. It turned out the "chef" didn't even know the difference between the two and had the wrong item on the menu for basically forever.
Yes, PLEASE avoid the Mexican food here at all costs. It is not good by any means and with all the good other food in the city, you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you come here and eat Mexican food.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:32 PM

5 posts, read 8,391 times
Okay, Mexican food is crossed off the list. Thanks for that little (but great) bit of information We're from NC so while we are more famous for bbq here, we do have several great authentic Mexican restaurants so we'll skip that in NYC.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:52 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
Oh, in that case, also skip any ribs, bbq or Southern dishes while in NYC. I'm sure I have offended many New Yorkers, but as much as I love this city, some regional foods are poorly represented in NYC.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idwsjnc View Post
Okay, Mexican food is crossed off the list. Thanks for that little (but great) bit of information We're from NC so while we are more famous for bbq here, we do have several great authentic Mexican restaurants so we'll skip that in NYC.
Yep, you can skip BBQ here too.

You should definitely have some Chinese food when you're in Chinatown—it's kid-friendly, inexpensive and more authentic that almost anywhere else in the U.S., except maybe San Francisco. Joe's Shanghai is my personal favorite, but I know everyone's opinion varies.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:22 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I'm 24 years old. I have been to the world trade center. I find it sad to be around there. Am I not entitled to my own opinion?
That "New Yorkers lived through it" remarked was not directed at you specifically. It was just part of the observation that New Yorkers don't go to the Tribute Center, while people from other states and countries do.

It is sad, and you are most certainly entitled to express those feelings.

There are many more layers of complexity than just the sadness attached to the site, too. Survival and hope and resilience, for example.

And hey, back to food, for a quick cheap bite to eat, Essex Deli on Liberty Street isn't bad. Kids will find choices they like, and there are tables so you can eat there after you buy your food.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:30 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Oh, in that case, also skip any ribs, bbq or Southern dishes while in NYC. I'm sure I have offended many New Yorkers, but as much as I love this city, some regional foods are poorly represented in NYC.
Actually the one good Southern BBQ restaurant that I know in NYC is Virgil's located at Times Square (see Virgil's | Real Barbeque | Homepage). It is an excellent restaurant although one also has to wait for a table. So I would recommend finding how long one needs to wait for a table (putting oneself on the list) and then going around Times Square while waiting.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually the one good Southern BBQ restaurant that I know in NYC is Virgil's located at Times Square (see Virgil's | Real Barbeque | Homepage). It is an excellent restaurant although one also has to wait for a table. So I would recommend finding how long one needs to wait for a table (putting oneself on the list) and then going around Times Square while waiting.
Are you kidding me? Virgil's sucks if you've ever had any form of true southern BBQ before if your life. I also don't know why anyone (tourist or not) would want to eat around the Times Square area. There is a severe dearth of good, non-chain restaurants around there.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:40 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
OP is from North Carolina, arguably the capital of Southern BBQ. I've never been to Virgil's because I avoid Times Square like the plague....but why on earth would you suggest something you know they can eat at home? Would you like to suggest TGI Fridays or McDonalds, too?

I only had good BBQ once in the 4 years I lived in NYC and in the 5+ weeks a year I visit now for work (and play). It was in Jackson Heights, Queens, and even though it was authentic Texas (beef) BBQ and was very good, it's a place I'd recommend to a homesick Texan living in NYC, not a tourist on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City