Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 PM

32 posts, read 82,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
He has money that no one knows about. He's not broke nor is he living like a bum.
But you know about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 04:35 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolabrigida View Post
But you know about it?

Common sense, baby. Common sense.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:57 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolabrigida View Post
I was going to post the same thing about the Tipping Point. Goetz would have gotten a different reaction from the public today.

Also, only one of the men asked/told Goetz to give him $5. The other men were standing there and Goetz shot all of them. As was mentioned earlier, one of the guys, who hadn't done anything, tried to run away and Goetz shot him in the back. There was also a stray bullet and the other people on the train were so freak out, they tried to run and get out of there and people were trampled. Goetz lost it and was just shooting without the proper concern for people around him. What if your wife or child had been shot during his meltdown.

Later when Goetz gave his statement to the police, he said he wished he had more bullets so he could have shot them some more. He also said he wished he could bore their eyes out. That guy had issues and he actually got out of serving in the army, previous to the incident, because he "faked" a mental problem... or not. It was a bad situation all around.
Yeah, that's an understatement. It was a bad day to try to get five bucks offa HIM.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
He was and is an American hero.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:25 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
From this documentary i'm watching, they didn't even rob him. One just calmly asked him for 5 dollars and he decided to shoot them.

you can watch it here
Hulu - Aftermath with William Shatner: Bernhard Goetz - Watch the full episode now. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/169734/aftermath-with-william-shatner-bernhard-goetz - broken link)

Old 12-24-2010, 02:04 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
well we dont know whats the truth as far as his life and being pennyless but whether he is or he isnt its still a crappy way to have to live, working off the books ,hiding assets. believe me this debacle ruined his life.

the point is that anything you do in self-defense can have devastating civil consequences for the good guy.

i had posted about 2 months ago about how my wife and i were accosted in ally pond park while photographing it.

a guy walked directly in my face as i tried to go around him on the path. he starts saying something about the cameras and getting more beligerant in his voice.

marilyn starts screaming,he walks away and goes in her direction as shes screaming help (no one payed any attention ) i picked up a club and went towards him.

he now stops going towards her and comes back towards me and starts saying how im going to find out now what he has in his pack.

my mind is racing a thousand times a second as i try to decide whether to start hitting him with the club now or wait.

i waited and he starts now muttering about hes calling the cops because im threatning him.

well we still dont know what to make out of it but the point was he was either stoned or something wasnt quite right upstairs.

had i beaten him prematurely i could have had some civil suite against me as well,maybe even criminal .

everything in our law is an eye for an eye.

he verbally started to threaten me but hadnt grabbed the camera yet, but i introduced the first weapon ,a club.

now im the bad guy. in fact if he tried to steal our cameras that was larceny. but if i introduced a gun to stop him then now im threatning his life while he only is committing larceny.

im well familiar with new yorks self defense laws and they work nothing like most folks think.

do you know new york is a must retreat state? that means if you confront bad guys on your lawn or property with a gun and try to thwart an attack on you or your family you can be arrested? thats what happened to that guy in long island 2 months ago.

new york law says you must retreat into your house. you can wait for the bad guys to enter and then blow them away but the bottom line is they have to break in to get you. you cant bring the fight to them. nor can you display a weapon when the bad guys have not displayed one yet.

blow any of new yorks laws and you can find yourself in jail, spending tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands on lawyers or be found innocent criminally but loose everything you own or ever will own in a civil suite.

everything has to weighed against the consequence . we all like to say its better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6 but sometimes the misery that follows for the innocent guy makes death the better option lol.

i had a guy in our community driveway break into the cars every few weeks. after a while i stopped locking the door,didnt put a radio back in and that was that. at one point i was going to put a silent pager on the car . the plan was to surprise him and catch him. but then i thought about it and realized if it turned ugly and i introduced a weapon it would cost me 50k to just be found innocent so i decided it wasnt worth it and just let him go away on his own.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-24-2010 at 03:14 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 06:54 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Goetz: 4
Scumbags: 0

Bernie did what many of us who have been violently robbed or threatened for no reason would like to do. I have zero sympathy for those longtime criminal thugs who encountered Bernie Goetz and got what they deserved.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-24-2010 at 07:37 PM..

Old 12-24-2010, 07:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well we dont know whats the truth as far as his life and being pennyless but whether he is or he isnt its still a crappy way to have to live, working off the books ,hiding assets. believe me this debacle ruined his life.

the point is that anything you do in self-defense can have devastating civil consequences for the good guy.

i had posted about 2 months ago about how my wife and i were accosted in ally pond park while photographing it.

a guy walked directly in my face as i tried to go around him on the path. he starts saying something about the cameras and getting more beligerant in his voice.

marilyn starts screaming,he walks away and goes in her direction as shes screaming help (no one payed any attention ) i picked up a club and went towards him.

he now stops going towards her and comes back towards me and starts saying how im going to find out now what he has in his pack.

my mind is racing a thousand times a second as i try to decide whether to start hitting him with the club now or wait.

i waited and he starts now muttering about hes calling the cops because im threatning him.

well we still dont know what to make out of it but the point was he was either stoned or something wasnt quite right upstairs.

had i beaten him prematurely i could have had some civil suite against me as well,maybe even criminal .

everything in our law is an eye for an eye.

he verbally started to threaten me but hadnt grabbed the camera yet, but i introduced the first weapon ,a club.

now im the bad guy. in fact if he tried to steal our cameras that was larceny. but if i introduced a gun to stop him then now im threatning his life while he only is committing larceny.

im well familiar with new yorks self defense laws and they work nothing like most folks think.

do you know new york is a must retreat state? that means if you confront bad guys on your lawn or property with a gun and try to thwart an attack on you or your family you can be arrested? thats what happened to that guy in long island 2 months ago.

new york law says you must retreat into your house. you can wait for the bad guys to enter and then blow them away but the bottom line is they have to break in to get you. you cant bring the fight to them. nor can you display a weapon when the bad guys have not displayed one yet.

blow any of new yorks laws and you can find yourself in jail, spending tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands on lawyers or be found innocent criminally but loose everything you own or ever will own in a civil suite.

everything has to weighed against the consequence . we all like to say its better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6 but sometimes the misery that follows for the innocent guy makes death the better option lol.

i had a guy in our community driveway break into the cars every few weeks. after a while i stopped locking the door,didnt put a radio back in and that was that. at one point i was going to put a silent pager on the car . the plan was to surprise him and catch him. but then i thought about it and realized if it turned ugly and i introduced a weapon it would cost me 50k to just be found innocent so i decided it wasnt worth it and just let him go away on his own.
Victims can serve jailtime equally as suspects, NYC is a state within in a state and politicians here try to get whats best for them and the rich and everyone gets the shaft. I remember reading a case back in John Jay about a guy that was getting mugged and he fought back and killed his attacker and he served jailtime simply because his attacker did not flee. I think the case went to the US appeals court this happened here in nyc actually. Sorry to hear about your car breaking in, I guess at the end of the day its just to let the guy go, I do believe it would cost more if things got ugly. I really wanna call NY the unfair state.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:27 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,898 times
Mr.Goetz was and is a hero and was a victim not only of street thugs but horrible gun control legislation.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:33 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Is he still living in Manhattan or did he decide to stay in NH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: