Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:59 PM

100 posts, read 253,434 times

Advertisements

How well do you residents know NYC? I mean, if I drop you off on a random street, will you know where you are?

I've always wondered how hard it is to figure out NYC and know a large portion of it.

I mean, everybody can drive/walk until they find a landmark, but do you know/recognize most of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 06:27 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
How well do you residents know NYC? I mean, if I drop you off on a random street, will you know where you are?

I've always wondered how hard it is to figure out NYC and know a large portion of it.

I mean, everybody can drive/walk until they find a landmark, but do you know/recognize most of it?

In Manhattan, yes. The majority of the streets are numbered. Even in the non numbered streets all you have to do is walk till you see a river then you know where you are.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:44 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Know most of the city ? That's a tall order.
I've been here for almost 40 years and lived in three boroughs but there are huge swaths of the city where you could drop me off and I'd probably be lost.And I drove a cab here when I was in college !
Manhattan is a piece of cake but in a lot of Brooklyn and some of The Bronx and most of Queens and Staten Island I'd have to wander around for a few minutes at least until I saw a street or a landmark.
Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise except for SeventhFloor.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:00 PM

116 posts, read 353,792 times
I could probably navigate most of Manhattan (Inwood would be confusing) without help... and a good deal of Brooklyn. Staten Island, queens and the Bronx, however forget it I'd be lost.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
I've only been here since May 1, 2009 and I can easily navigate Manhattan, the western half of Brooklyn, the western half of Queens, most of the Bronx(properties are located up there), but none of Staten Island.
Navigate=without GPS in car. I know the subway routes inside and out too.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:19 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Sure anybody can navigate Manhattan where there are numbered streets.
The true test comes when you get to either upper or lower Manhattan where there are named streets--not numbers.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:29 PM

88 posts, read 510,319 times
i really dont understand how tourists get lost in Manhattan sometime. they are usually hang around where streets are numbered...

Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 PM

45 posts, read 99,236 times
I can easily navigate Manhattan.
I also know The South Bronx and the western part of Queens very well.
Anywhere else like most of Brooklyn and Staten Island and I would be completley lost.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 PM

34,010 posts, read 47,240,427 times
drop me anywhere in any of the 5 boroughs and i will not get lost. i promise. within 10 minutes of walking i will find a major street or get my sense of direction. by far the easiest borough to get around in is actually a toss up between manhattan or staten island.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-17-2010, 11:52 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Anypart of Manhanttan -Check
Anypart of Brooklyn -Check
Astoria Queens YES (Love this place)
I'm like a tourist in the Bronx but "getting lost" isn't a worry. Just walk a couple of blocks for the bus or train. Or hop in a cab.

As for Staten Island . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City