Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times

Advertisements

I would be fine anywhere in the Bronx.

I would be fine in Inwood, Wash Heights, and in Harlem.

Midtown..ehh I'd have a little more trouble.

Downtown I would be kinda lost.

I would be fine in most of Queens.

Brooklyn I'll be fine in the ghettos (Bushwick, ENY etc) but not the nice areas.

S.I LOST and SOME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
i dont know anything about staten island or the bronx, lol but manhattan is not a problem whatsoever...i live here. haha. brooklyn i'm pretty dang good at, i got family in brooklyn. if i dont recognize and area of brooklyn all i gotta do is drive a few streets and i'd be good to go. queens is the same way.

manhattan is probably honestly one of the easiest cities to navigate.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:37 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
I'm like a tourist, I can't navigate the subway at all, I can barely handle the LIRR.

If I was dropped anywhere other than South Jamaica, Springfield Gardens, or Jamaica (all 3 are in Queens) I'm completely lost. I can navigate the area in between Flushing and Jamaica well enough to reach a bus to go home.

I lived in NYC for 15-16 years btw lol.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
i dont know anything about staten island or the bronx, lol but manhattan is not a problem whatsoever...i live here. haha. brooklyn i'm pretty dang good at, i got family in brooklyn. if i dont recognize and area of brooklyn all i gotta do is drive a few streets and i'd be good to go. queens is the same way.

manhattan is probably honestly one of the easiest cities to navigate.
Bronx has similar system to manhattan interms of navigation. Streets east to west and avenue north and south in the Bronx. East Bronx is difficult to navigate but South and western Bronx is pretty easy.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Brooklyn actually has more than one street system--a holdover from the days when there were six different towns that made up Kings County. But as a general rule, street address numbers increase north-to-south and west-to-east.

Where there are numbered streets (or in the case of the central part of the borough, lettered avenues), addressed are linked to cross streets. Thus, an address like, say, 1550 65th Street would be located between 15th and 16th Avenues. Or 1001 East 23rd Street is just off Avenue J--because J is the tenth letter of the alphabet!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Bronx has similar system to manhattan interms of navigation. Streets east to west and avenue north and south in the Bronx. East Bronx is difficult to navigate but South and western Bronx is pretty easy.
Exactly. The western half of the Bronx is a piece of cake. Starting at 132nd st and ending somewhere in the 240's (?) south to north and then you have the avenues (University, Valentine, Prospect etc) west to east.

Anything west of Jerome ave is W 174th and anything east of Jerome is E 174th....to use 174th st as an example.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:27 PM

241 posts, read 732,333 times
North of 14th is easier to navigate/memorize/understand because it follows the grid system. South of 14th takes some time to familiarize yourself. I know Queens and Brooklyn 100%. Bronx, I know the better parts. Staten Island-I know NOTHING about S.I. I don't think most NYer's do, or care to familiarize themself with it lol

Old 08-21-2010, 05:09 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpIslander View Post
I don't think most NYer's do, or care to familiarize themself with it lol
Actually, I think there are a lot of New Yorkers who don't really know any part of the city outside their own immediate neighborhood. But that comes too close to touching a nerve, and you're not supposed to say so.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:17 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Exactly. The western half of the Bronx is a piece of cake. Starting at 132nd st and ending somewhere in the 240's (?) south to north and then you have the avenues (University, Valentine, Prospect etc) west to east.

Anything west of Jerome ave is W 174th and anything east of Jerome is E 174th....to use 174th st as an example.

Dont university avenue, prospect avenue and valentine avenue go north to south and not from east and west? The only part of the Bronx that is difficult is south east bronx heading towards castle hill and throgs neck area along east tremont avenue. But Bronx is a bit easier because simular Manhattan numbering system, to bad no one wants to go to the Bronx but besides to watch a yankee game

Old 08-21-2010, 07:26 AM

581 posts, read 1,243,783 times
even on streets in BK that ive been, ill still get lost. brooklyn is confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City