Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
SHow me outsiders attending the W.I parade.

Puerto Ricans and other hispanics attend the DR parade. You keep missing the point. Even AA attend, especially the ones who gre up with Dominicans.

Reggae does not compare to Merengue and Bachata. You do not understand that Dominican music is the # 1 music in all of Latin America (maybe except for Mexico).
supermario, usually I agree with your posts I think you're off on the last few. Reggae doesn't compare to Bachata? Go around the world and ask people who they know, Bob Marley or Franky Reyes? My girl's fam is Dominican and they love their Bachata no doubt, but believe you me they hit that dance floor when "Murda she wrote" hits the speakers and believe you me all their father's have Bob Marley and the Wailers in their collection. Besides all of the music you named is African influenced.

Many West Indians also have Taino in their ancestry, Haiti is a Taino name short for "Ayiti quesqueya Boyo". If Dominicans have Taino and Spain wiped them out of your side of the island within 15 years, what makes you think we don't have it when our side which was their last hold out until 100 years later? I'm with you, Dominicans are mixed (though mostly Spaniard and African) they're still mixed. But when I bring my girl to the WI parade she blends with the crowd as we are all different hues of brown, and alot of Dominicans come with their flags and show love. I would've loved to show love at the DR parade too but it ended to quickly. Plus 3 million people attend the WI parade. All this my island is better than yours and describing us as blacker and blacker as though black is something repulsive is ridiculous. You guys have a wonderful culture which I can appreciate but you can't keep downplaying your African heritage it does you a disservice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Both come from the same type of countries what's the difference?
THANK YOU, to outsiders who aren't from the Caribbean our cultures are similar so would everyone cool out

Old 02-23-2011, 12:44 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Isn't Reggaeton an offshoot of Reggae?
exactly reggaeton artist have even said it themselves that reggae-ton is the Spanish version of reggae

Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I dont think there is a middle class jamaican area, if any thing middle class jamaicans live around middle class african americans. Canarsie, st albans, cambria Heigths, williamsbridge, wakefield and coop city to some extent have large jamaicans populations but aas also live in these areas in huge numbers. Jamaicans have an advantagr over domincans and thats english. Many dominicans are poor and rely heavly on public assistance. Many single mother dominican women on section8 and many dominican men in jail for drugs. Go to west bronx oppsite washington heigths and see dominicans dealing and ddp ad3 on patrol. On the bright side dominicans make up the largest ethnic.student body of the cuny system. Lehman bcc and hostos is mostly dominican.
canarsie barely has aa,s. Heck even the housing projects have a large wes tindian population in canarse, and as for cambria heights theirs not so much AAS their neither.

st alban - yes their is a lot of aa,s

WAKEFIELD? - im not sure but according to my friends up their the whole area is run by jamaicans and only edenwald has the high concentration of AAs,

Old 02-23-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
canarsie barely has aa,s. Heck even the housing projects have a large wes tindian population in canarse, and as for cambria heights theirs not so much AAS their neither.

st alban - yes their is a lot of aa,s

WAKEFIELD? - im not sure but according to my friends up their the whole area is run by jamaicans and only edenwald has the high concentration of AAs,
Wakefield is predominantley Jamaican by far.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:36 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,767 times
This argument about which kind of Caribbean island has the best, most popular or most diverse kind of culture is so ridiculous. Cause guess what the history for each island (and also Guyana) is the same ish in different forms.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
This argument about which kind of Caribbean island has the best, most popular or most diverse kind of culture is so ridiculous. Cause guess what the history for each island (and also Guyana) is the same ish in different forms.
its not a argument its me explaining to supermario what diversity is and that the west indian community isn't just all dark skin black folks.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Actually, what they found to be a fact is that these middle class black areas in the city are mostly dominated by blacks fom the West Indies and not the traditionally AA. Traditional AA do better in well to do enclaves in DC and Atlanta. SE Queens is heavily Carribean. Middle class AA are more dominate in the suburbs. Places like Baldwin, Montclair and New Rochelle are dominated by traditional AA who are middle class.
That is true today but SE Queens was heavily AA (and Jewish in some nabes) before it became Caribbean.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:01 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Quote:
show you the mixes in trinidad? wow well here we go.

the ethnic groups and races that make up trinidad

Ethnic groups

East Indian/Indo-Trinidadian (a local term - primarily immigrants from Bhojpuri-speaking regions) 40%, Blacks/African/Afro-Trinidadian 37.5%, mixed 20.5%, white 0.6%, Chinese and other 1.2% (including descendants of the indigenous Caribs).

ethnic groups and races that make up suriname.

Ethnic groups

Demographics of Suriname - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Demographics of Trinidad and Tobago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CLEARLY THOSE 2 COUNTRIES ARE PAST DIVERSE THEN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.

Also mixed race does not show any diversity at all if every single one of you share the same immigrant culture. Whats so hard to understand? Washington heights is not a diverse neighborhood and its not even diverse ethnically....its over 70 percent dominican alone. Just because Dominicans come in all shades doesn't make their community diverse it makes their community dominican which is not diverse at all.

off coarse stereotypes hold no truth which is why you need to stop doing it yourself.

It is not more diverse than the Dominican. All it is basically is Hindu and Afro. Listen, there are Dominicans who look Nordic, Southern Europe, North African, Chinese, Sub Saharan, hindu, Central American, South American, and Carribean. We have phenotypes that resemble anyone. Trinidadians have that face that gives out that there are Trini, while Dominicans have no look. There are many different Dominican faces. Where is the Euro component in Trinidad? Where is the middle eastern? The official demographics of the DR state that it is 73% Mixed, 16% White, and 11% Black. The mix consists of a vast range of ethinicities. Meaning if you're arab -black, chinese-arab, black-white, native-white etc you are part of the 73% mixed. If we had it broken down like Trinidad, you'd run home crying. It's not close, I would like to think that you are acting dumb on purpose, because DR is known world-wide for it's diversity.

Learn a few things:

The ethnic composition of the Dominican population is 73% multiracial, 16% white, and 11% black.[1] The multiracial population is primarily a mixture of European and African, but there is as well a significant Taíno element in the population;[25] recent research has shown that at least 15% of Dominicans have Taíno ancestry.[69] There is also a large Haitian minority. Other ethnic groups in the country include West Asians—mostly Lebanese, Syrians and Palestinians.[70] A significant presence of East Asians, primarily ethnic Chinese and Japanese, can also be found.[70] Europeans are represented mostly by Spanish, German Jews, Italians, Portuguese, British, Dutch, Danes, and Hungarians.[70][71][72] There are also tens of thousands of US citizens.[73]

In the 20th century, many Arabs (primarily from Lebanon and Syria), Japanese, and, to a lesser degree, Koreans settled in the country as agricultural laborers and merchants. The Chinese, who were fleeing the Chinese Communist People's Liberation Army (PLA), found work in mines and building railroads. The current Chinese Dominican population totals 50,000.[citation needed] The Arab community is rising at an increasing rate. Estimates are at 3,400.[citation needed] Japanese immigrants, who mostly work in the business districts and markets, are at an estimate of 1,900 living in the country.[citation needed] The Korean presence is minor but evident, at a population of 500.[citation needed]

In addition, there are descendants of immigrants who came from other Caribbean islands, including St. Kitts and Nevis, Antigua, St. Vincent, Montserrat, Tortola, St. Croix, St. Thomas, and Guadeloupe. They worked on sugarcane plantations and docks and settled mainly in the cities of San Pedro de Macoris and Puerto Plata. There is an increasing number of Puerto Rican immigrants, especially in and around Santo Domingo; they are believed to number around 10,000.[93] Before and during World War II, 800 Jewish refugees moved to the Dominican Republic.[94]

Dominican Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I want you to read the above, and read it good. This merits no response from you, you bit off more than you could chew. It makes your little article look insignificant (if it wasn't already). Funny how we have your own people on our island too, go west Indies lol.

And again, despite you using an entire region and in this particular case two countries, and me using one, you still come up short.

Listen, I don't think you even know what diversity is. Forget that they are Dominican! Dominicans look different! Mixed race with different compositions is diversity, unlike your West Indians who are all black. There is no Dominican look. You want to make a Dominican? Take people from all over the world, put them on a island, and let them mix, the end result is a Dominican.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Quote:
LMAO at this guy supermario saying Washington heights is diverse.
Quote:

That neighborhood is almost 90 percent Hispanic and isn't even diverse ethnically.

LMAO at this guy nycjowww saying the West Indian parade is diverse.

The parade is almost 100% West Indian and isn't even diverse ethnically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City