Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 03:38 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Because Black people want to claim him for some reason. That's why they got all up in arms. He looks mixed to me so why should he have to claim Black to satisfy Black people?

When Tiger first won he snapped up every endorsement ad that he could find celebrating the " first BLACK champion".

I dont recall him turning down these ads and explaining that he did so because he is not black.

Maybe thats why some people are confused about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
When Tiger first won he snapped up every endorsement ad that he could find celebrating the " first BLACK champion".

I dont recall him turning down these ads and explaining that he did so because he is not black.

Maybe thats why some people are confused about him.
I don't recall him snapping up endorsements celebrating the first "Black" champion. He was just accepting endorsements because he was successful. I don't think it had anything to do with race or ethnicity. It was the media and the Black population yelling that he was this Black phenomenon and when he refused to go along with it, that's when the Black population went crazy and became angry, calling him everything under the sun because he didn't go along with their desire to label him.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:22 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I don't recall him snapping up endorsements celebrating the first "Black" champion. He was just accepting endorsements because he was successful. I don't think it had anything to do with race or ethnicity. It was the media and the Black population yelling that he was this Black phenomenon and when he refused to go along with it, that's when the Black population went crazy and became angry, calling him everything under the sun because he didn't go along with their desire to label him.

The first ads featuring Tiger Woods focused on him winning, not because he wa steh youngest ever. But because he was the FIRST black.

I really do not care what you recall.

Tiger's chatter about being mixed came after he did not make comments about being called "black".

Grosvenor you can put on a white hood and ride on a horse with a burning cross for all I care.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
The first ads featuring Tiger Woods focused on him winning, not because he wa steh youngest ever. But because he was the FIRST black.

I really do not care what you recall.

Tiger's chatter about being mixed came after he did not make comments about being called "black".

Grosvenor you can put on a white hood and ride on a horse with a burning cross for all I care.
HA! And you call me the racist one.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
You will however admit that Dominicans, until recently at least, had a very complicated attitude towards the African aspect of their ancestry and heritage. Indeed making more of their Taino roots.

It has been documented by many DOMINICAN intellectuals. Frank Moya Pons, Ginette Candelaria, and Silvio Torres Saillant. I doubt that any of them are extreme black militants, indeed two of them arent black, even by US criteria. One coined a book called "Black Behind the Ears" as she describes a fictive Indio/Iberian identity crafted by the Dominican elites and the notion that the black aspects of being Dominican are mumbled about and down played.

Now Dominicans are no means unique in this. So to pretend as if Dominicans do not have issues with "blackness" and African identity is ludicrous.
I knew a pitch black Black American who told me he was English, Scottish, Irish and Native American! There are a number of Black Americans who claim to have all this Indian ancestry, despite having no obvious Indian features. Basically, this is self hatred and you see it throughout the Americas where you have large numbers of Blacks. Some people throughout the Caribbean bleach their skin as well. And this has been documented as well, so no need to say its specifically a Dominican thing, when there are Jamaicans, Black Americans, Trinidadians, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, among many others who are suffer from this mind set.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I knew a pitch black Black American who told me he was English, Scottish, Irish and Native American! There are a number of Black Americans who claim to have all this Indian ancestry, despite having no obvious Indian features. Basically, this is self hatred and you see it throughout the Americas where you have large numbers of Blacks. Some people throughout the Caribbean bleach their skin as well. And this has been documented as well, so no need to say its specifically a Dominican thing, when there are Jamaicans, Black Americans, Trinidadians, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, among many others who are suffer from this mind set.
What about you? It seems as if you're a proud dark skinned Black man from the way in which you speak.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:35 PM

578 posts, read 962,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Take for example Juror B29 of the George Zimmerman trial case. She looks like a mulatta and she is Puerto Rican. Many people are assigning her the label Afro Latina even though she does not identify that way.

There are tons of historic U.S. Americans that identify as black and look like her.

I get what you are trying to say to a degree but it goes both ways in general most of the time and it gets murky in terms of drawing the line and starting and ending point.

For example many people don't consider Jennifer Lopez to be black but they would turn around and consider someone like Mariah Carey as black even though they are both mixed with European, African, and Native American ancestries and who knows what else. And Mariah Carey has Latin@ heritage btw
Also I should mention that black Latino and Afro Latino do NOT mean the same thing.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yeah her father is an Venezuelan of mixed descent. I still don't know how Mariah Carey consider herself AA?
Mariah Carey's father is half Venezuelan, and half African American. Mariah Carey's Venezuelan grandfather may have been half Irish but she is still investigating her family history further.

Mariah Carey considers herself to be mixed race, multiracial, multiethnic, and multicultural. It's the one droppists that are labeling her as black and/or African American.

Mariah Carey identifies as mixed

Old 07-26-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yeah her father is an Venezuelan of mixed descent. I still don't know how Mariah Carey consider herself AA?
Actually, Mariah Carey's father was half Venezuelan and half African American. Although it's been discovered that her Venezuelan grandfather may be half Irish, hence the last name Carey but she has to delve further into her family history and genealogy.

And no, Mariah Carey does not one drop herself or identify herself as black.

Mariah Carey identifies as mixed race, multiracial, multiethnic, multicultural. It's outsiders and others that keep racistly one dropping her.

Mariah Carey is mixed race

Old 07-26-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The majority of Black Americans do not look mixed race, in terms of facial feature and hair. They just don't. You have a much higher percentage of Puerto Ricans who are clearly mixed race (and a smaller percentage of those who look just Black).

You're trying to confuse and complicate things, when there is no confusion and complication. Its irrelevant what any two individuals look like, the issue is what do groups as a whole look like. There just wasn't the same amount of race mixing in the US as there was in Latin America.
You confused and complicated as well as simplified things. I'm simply saying that you are comparing apples and origins. AAs or Black Americans etc are just one subset/subgroup ethnic group of U.S. Americans. To be fair you'd have to compare U.S. Americans to Colombia etc he'll or you can do USA vs Latin America.

And I disagree. Mixing took place heavily in the USA. the problem is that its often been downplayed.

Of course if you compared AAs to another nation it's going to be flawed or yield different results.

And again what is the basis for what you consider looking mixed? We have mentioned this before.

Mixed race people exist in all shades and colors and have different phenotypes and skin colors and hair textures.

You yourself even used your own logic and perceptions to judge if a black Latino is self hating or in denial in your opinion.

What looks mixed to you may not look mixed to another.

Give me some examples of black Americans you feel would not be mixed.

I bet you are only saying one is more mixed than the other because of where they come from. It's funny how if someone is of AA background and another person is of Afro Latino background you'll automatically assume they are more mixed.

If a dark skinned person that comes from Spanish speaking background you'd automatically assume they are mixed but a dark person that is of AA background to you would seem or look less mixed to you even though they may be more significantly mixed than the dark Latino person.

USA is more mixed than many realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City