Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 PM

22 posts, read 48,408 times

Advertisements

I posted on here earlier as I am in the process of moving to NYC and really need your help as I am trying to find an affordable apartment but won't be able to physically go out there and scope things out for another month. I have become BFFs with GoogleEarth lol as that is the only way I have of really seeing any of these outer boro places right now. I found a 1 bed/1 bath place in Forest Hills that seemed really nice for $950 per month. That is about as high as my budget is going to allow me to go at the current moment. It looks like a very nice area from what I could tell. Would this be a good place for someone like me to start out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Forest Hills is a very nice area but I am very suspicious of a 1 br for 950.
Likely either a scam,a bait to switch or actually a studio apartment.Or maybe not really in Forest Hills.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
It's generally a good, safe area with good subway access. However, if you haven't seen the apartment itself in real life then you have no way of knowing where it is, what the condition of the apartment is, whether it actually exists, etc.

$950 for a one bedroom sounds too low. I would expect $1000 at least for a studio in that area.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Forest Hills is a very nice area but I am very suspicious of a 1 br for 950.
Likely either a scam,a bait to switch or actually a studio apartment.Or maybe not really in Forest Hills.
I typed my response before I saw yours. I agree!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 PM

Also, an apartment that is listed today won't be available in one month. If it is still available, there is something wrong!!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 PM

22 posts, read 48,408 times
I should rephrase myself- I saw a 1 bed/1 bath at this price but this wouldn't be the actual apartment I would look at. I am more trying to get a sense of prices right now and wanted to see if it was too good to be true. Evidently that is a good price for Forest Hills lol and you are right it absolutely could be a scam. I was looking on Carollorentals.com, a site my BK buddy told me about. There seems to be a handful of properties on there under 1K per month each time I look.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBound1 View Post
I should rephrase myself- I saw a 1 bed/1 bath at this price but this wouldn't be the actual apartment I would look at. I am more trying to get a sense of prices right now and wanted to see if it was too good to be true. Evidently that is a good price for Forest Hills lol and you are right it absolutely could be a scam. I was looking on Carollorentals.com, a site my BK buddy told me about. There seems to be a handful of properties on there under 1K per month each time I look.
I think Carollo has been around awhile. Maybe it's not a scam after all. However, you do need to be aware that all realtors blur borders, and sometimes the real borders themselves can be much wider than you think. I took a quick look at the Forest Hills $950 one bedroom that is currently on the Carollo site and it seems from the map posted below the listing that the location is by the Trader Joe's in Rego Park.

Perhaps it's technically Forest Hills on that street- I don't know. But I do know that area is mostly served by buses. So if that is ok with you, and you don't mind being in an apartment in a private house and you see something like that again, then go for it.

When I think of Forest Hills, I think of the area served by the 71st Continental express E and F trains, but then again, Forest Hills might be much larger than I know.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 AM

154 posts, read 449,640 times
Trader joes is indeed in FH, but it's in a isolated part. You can walk from there to 71st Con in maybe 15 mins and it's actually a lovely walk because u cross throu Forest gardens. You can also take a bus to 71st. The area is nice, very family oriented but you might get lonely out there lol

Old 01-25-2011, 04:31 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Forest Hills & the neighboring Rego Park are excellent areas to live in. For $900-1000 one can get a large studio apt. in these areas in buildings off of Queens Blvd. (which gives one access to subway service 24/7 to Manhattan & the other boroughs). But I doubt for $950 one could get a 1 bedroom apt. in such a good location. So as already mentioned it must be far away from the subway lines/Queens Blvd.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPersianJewGurL View Post
Trader joes is indeed in FH, but it's in a isolated part. You can walk from there to 71st Con in maybe 15 mins and it's actually a lovely walk because u cross throu Forest gardens. You can also take a bus to 71st. The area is nice, very family oriented but you might get lonely out there lol
The Trader Joe's store address is 9030 Metropolitan Avenue
Rego park, NY 11374-5328. I was thinking maybe it's Forest Hills across the street, where the apartment is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: