Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:46 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnboston View Post
And how is this helpful?
Once you start accepting that you aren't going to find a neighborhood which is exactly the same, the sooner you can really start looking for a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 04:48 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
So far in my research, it looks like Astoria may be a good fit. It is near the water, seems to have a nice community feel, has diversity and is close to Manhattan.
I grew up in Boston and have much family from South Boston and spent a good part of my youth there.I have also been living in NYC since college( a long,long time) and have a fairly intimate knowledge of almost all NYC neighborhoods at this point.I like Astoria but it's a real stretch to compare it to South Boston.Astoria is more like Union Sq in Somerville.If you are good with that you are OK.

You should check out Bay Ridge,Carroll Gardens and parts of Sunset Park.They don't have the proximity but might have more of the feel.I'd check out Greenpoint too if I were you.

In many,many ways Brooklyn and Boston have the most similar types of neighborhoods.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-28-2010 at 05:12 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 05:00 PM

58 posts, read 182,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Once you start accepting that you aren't going to find a neighborhood which is exactly the same, the sooner you can really start looking for a place.
Where did I say exactly the same in my question?

"I am looking for a neighborhood like South Boston. A neighborhood with walkable streets, water close by, a main strip (Broadway) with local shops and a major grocery store, easily commutable into the city (2 T stops and 3 buses), many locals and old timers, and most of all, a feeling of community. I know South Boston isn't very diverse but I would like living in a place that has more diversity. What neighborhood in NYC would you say is most like my description?" (noticeI said MOST LIKE)

My title also said liken to South Boston and if you look up the meaning of liken you will find.

"liken (līkən)transitive verb
to represent or describe as being like, or similar; compare"

Like, similar and compare do not mean exact.

like: resembling or similar; having the same or some of the same characteristics;
similar: having a likeness or resemblance, esp. in a general way:
compare: to examine (two or more objects, ideas, people, etc.) in order to note similarities and differences:

If I were looking for a place EXACTLY LIKE South Boston, I wouldn't have mentioned I wanted something more diverse.

I really HATE when people go off topic and offer their unsolicited advice.

Thank you to everyone that read AND UNDERSTOOD my question and answered it appropriately.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I grew up in Boston and have much family from South Boston and spent a good part of my youth there.I have also been living in NYC since college( a long,long time) and have a fairly intimate knowledge of almost all NYC neighborhoods at this point.I like Astoria but it's a real stretch to compare it to South Boston.Astoria is more like Union Sq in Somerville.If you are good with that you are OK.
Thank you bluedog. I don't know Union Square. Is Rudy's in Union Square?

Basically I am looking for a place that is near water, where I can walk to a bakery (Joseph's Bakery), the library, the grocery store, be near the water and feel like part of a community but is a little more diverse.

Why would you say Astoria it is a stretch to compare it to South Boston? What would you say are the differences?

Old 12-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:

You should check out Bay Ridge,Carroll Gardens and parts of Sunset Park.They don't have the proximity but might have more of the feel.I'd check out Greenpoint too if I were you.

In many,many ways Brooklyn and Boston have the most similar types of neighborhoods.

Bluedog2, I just saw the rest of your comments. I have been looking into Carroll Gardens and I like what I see so far. Thank you very much for your help.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Thank you bluedog. I don't know Union Square. Is Rudy's in Union Square?

Basically I am looking for a place that is near water, where I can walk to a bakery (Joseph's Bakery), the library, the grocery store, be near the water and feel like part of a community but is a little more diverse.

Why would you say Astoria it is a stretch to compare it to South Boston? What would you say are the differences?
It sounds like you are looking for a city neighborhood that has a small town feel which a lot of Boston neighborhoods have but most New York neighborhoods don't.
I have never felt that atmosphere in Astoria and never felt a closeness or relationship to the water there either. If proximity to midtown is actually more important than the overall feel, then Astoria is not the worst but if atmosphere is more important I'd look at other places.

Where will you be working ? Transportation tends to be much more important in NYC than BOS because in Boston everything is easy.......comparatively.That might help narrow it down. Also budget,if any.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you are looking for a city neighborhood that has a small town feel which a lot of Boston neighborhoods have but most New York neighborhoods don't.
I have never felt that atmosphere in Astoria and never felt a closeness or relationship to the water there either. If proximity to midtown is actually more important than the overall feel, then Astoria is not the worst but if atmosphere is more important I'd look at other places.

Where will you be working ? Transportation tends to be much more important in NYC than BOS because in Boston everything is easy.......comparatively.That might help narrow it down. Also budget,if any.

Well, I am still looking for a job in NYC but I currently work in IT for a financial services company in downtown Boston. I am looking for similar work in NYC so I assume the job would be Midtown or Wall Street area. Is Carroll Gardens a somewhat easy commute to Midtown (less than an hour)? Thank you for being so astute.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:00 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
If you don't want unsolicited advice. Please don't post.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Well, I am still looking for a job in NYC but I currently work in IT for a financial services company in downtown Boston. I am looking for similar work in NYC so I assume the job would be Midtown or Wall Street area. Is Carroll Gardens a somewhat easy commute to Midtown (less than an hour)? Thank you for being so astute.
Yes,Carroll Gardens would be easy to Downtown/Wall Street.Generally all Brooklyn neighborhoods are pretty easy commutes to Downtown. Even Bay Ridge to Wall street isn't that bad and Bay Ridge has more of a being in a waterfront nabe.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Coincidentally, there is a big article in the NY Times today about "Southie" (South Boston) and the residents' practice of leaving space savers like beach chairs and fans in the street to save an on-street parking space that they have shovelled out. As you can imagine, moving a space saver to park in the spot means your car might get damaged byt the resident whose space you "stole." http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/29/us/29boston.html?hp

I've been to South Boston and it does have its charms, but I find this kind of behavior and general attitude really townie. If I were you, I would move to NY and be thankful to leave some of this attitude behind. There are plenty of neighborhoods in NYC that have that kind of townie attitude, but why seek them out on purpose?

If you are working in midtown, you might want to check out Jackson Heights, an extremely diverse neighborhood with a small-town feel on 37th Ave. It is 3 express stops to the east midtown stops like 63rd and Lex (F train) and 53rd & Lex (E train). The neighborhood has a lot of hometown pride and arts and cultural organizations like theatre groups. There was even a Jackson Heights play written and performed last year that showcased the multiculturalism and how it converges on 37th Ave.
Many worlds of Jackson Heights converge in new play

Jackson Heights is a middle-class and working-class area with amenities on the middle-class and not hipster/yuppie end of the spectrum. Carroll Gardens, which is a charming and nice neighborhood, has many more higher-end restaurants, bars etc. and higher rent and income levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City