Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,085,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
As long as you're happy

This link is almost a year old. Is it still valid?
Yeah I would think so, However atat network improved sligthly but tens of thousands of nyers are still buying iphones like if its crack or cocaine! The only major upgrades they did was to add wifi hot spots on heavly congested areas of the city like times square, Yankee Stadium area, or union Square, or bedford avenue in Williamsburg. Go to JFK or LGA switch on your wifi and you will find atat wifi. You know one time I was on the Staten Island ferry, some chick started complaning she was not getting no service on her iphone while I was streaming live youtube on my samsung moment from sprint in the middle of the harbor.

One thing I find fascinating is so many New Yorkers have iphones and the other halfs have blackberries. I wonder how many New Yorkers have android operating phones. Onetime I went to this posh lounge I was the only person with an Evo while every one else was rocking an aging blackberry or an iphone. THe ladies were not digging the android.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:37 PM

127 posts, read 324,786 times
well which one is cheaper when you get unlimited internet, txt, and minutes?? my guess will be verizon right??

Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,604,877 times
"Atat admits it, its service sucks in nyc thanks to millions of new yorkers who own the iphone" - Bronxguyanese

That was the problem. AT&T is NOT hiding from it. But they are improving on it.

It's the result of selling so many iPhones, and 5000% data surges on the network.

"but tens of thousands of nyers are still buying iphones like if its crack or cocaine" -Bronxguyanese

^ Case in point!

"GWS said voice services were 98 percent to 99 percent reliable in the New York City area in April.."

AT&T touts network improvements found in survey results | Phones | iOS Central | Macworld

The AT&T Wi-Fi Hotzones are working great.

"In just a few months during the pilot, AT&T customers made more than 350,000 connections at the three hotzones."

"Our initial AT&T Wi-Fi hotzones have received great customer response and supported high data traffic," said John Donovan, AT&T chief technology officer. "The pilot demonstrated the clear benefits of having fast and readily-available Wi-Fi options for our customers and our network, and so we have decided to deploy hotzones in more locations."

AT&T To Expand Wi-Fi Access in NY, San Francisco - International Business Times

"In New York City, we've added a layer of high-performing 850 MHz spectrum to deploy more radio capacity and enhance in-building coverage throughout the city. As of the first quarter of 2010, we've seen two consecutive quarters of strong voice quality improvements in New York according to internal measurements. In Manhattan, quality improved 47 percent quarter over quarter."

AT&T Expands Wireless Capacity for 3G Mobile Broadband Network in Manhattan and Throughout... -- NEW YORK, June 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,599,810 times
What's this I hear about Time Warner 's portable 4G hotspot

They're promoting it heavily on tv

Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,692,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolFL2NY View Post
well which one is cheaper when you get unlimited internet, txt, and minutes?? my guess will be verizon right??
Can someone give me an idea of how much an unlimited talk, text, and data plan runs per month in nyc? Thanks.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 PM

101 posts, read 301,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel420 View Post
I have an iPhone and I hope the Verizon iPhone gets here ASAP. I moved from Ohio to NYC 2 months ago and Ive had nothing but problems with AT&T since the move. I dont get any service at work (I work in Manhattan). People at work who have Verizon dont seem to have any problems getting service. I live in the Bronx and cant get any service in certain parts of my apartment. People call me and text me...sometimes I get the messages hours later and sometimes not at all. I cannot wait to switch to Verizon.

I have an iPhone and I hope the Verizon iPhone gets here ASAP. I moved from FLORIDA to NYC 8 months ago and Ive had nothing but problems with AT&T since the move. I dont get any service in my apartment in Brooklyn Heights. People at home who have Verizon dont seem to have any problems getting service. People call me and text me...sometimes I get the messages hours later and sometimes not at all. I cannot wait to switch to Verizon. I can barely send a text from my apartment.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:32 PM

769 posts, read 2,053,686 times
I have an iPhone and I have poor reception in my apartment sometimes, but I live in a 32 story building in FiDi, surrounded by a ton of 30+ story buildings, and I live on a low floor. When my in-laws were here they had even worse reception on their Verizon phones. I think the Verizon iPhone is great for Verizon customers, but AT&T customers would be stupid to switch to Verizon only on the hope that reception will be better. Plus you cannot multi-task on the Verizon iPhone like you can with the AT&T iPhone. If someone with the Verizon iPhone comes to my apartment and shows me an improvement that's a different story but I doubt that will be the case.

For those of you asking about pricing, it appears that the pricing will be similar to AT&Ts based on what the Verizon website says.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 AM

19 posts, read 73,030 times
Has anybody gotten it yet? I pre-ordered mine to pick up tomorrow at the Apple store in Midtown...

Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,085,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
I have an iPhone and I have poor reception in my apartment sometimes, but I live in a 32 story building in FiDi, surrounded by a ton of 30+ story buildings, and I live on a low floor. When my in-laws were here they had even worse reception on their Verizon phones. I think the Verizon iPhone is great for Verizon customers, but AT&T customers would be stupid to switch to Verizon only on the hope that reception will be better. Plus you cannot multi-task on the Verizon iPhone like you can with the AT&T iPhone. If someone with the Verizon iPhone comes to my apartment and shows me an improvement that's a different story but I doubt that will be the case.

For those of you asking about pricing, it appears that the pricing will be similar to AT&Ts based on what the Verizon website says.
What you smoking dude, the Verizon Iphone can multitask, it can do the samething that the Atat iphone can do. THe only difference between the Verizon Iphone and Atat iphone is that the Atat iphone can surf and voice calls at the sametime because it uses a gsm radio while Verizon can not surf and voice because of cdma radio. Verizon iphone has better voice reception and Atat iphone has faster 3g and surf and voice simultaniously! I know 7 transplants who already cancelled thier Atat contracts and are planning on trading in thier iphone4s for a Verizon one. All I know is in a couple of days the hipsters yuppie loving starbucks lovers will line up again to get an iphone. Cant wait to take pics with my evo phone to see these losers freeze in the cold for a phone! This is why our country goes down the toilet.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:12 PM

769 posts, read 2,053,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What you smoking dude, the Verizon Iphone can multitask, it can do the samething that the Atat iphone can do. THe only difference between the Verizon Iphone and Atat iphone is that the Atat iphone can surf and voice calls at the sametime because it uses a gsm radio while Verizon can not surf and voice because of cdma radio. Verizon iphone has better voice reception and Atat iphone has faster 3g and surf and voice simultaniously! I know 7 transplants who already cancelled thier Atat contracts and are planning on trading in thier iphone4s for a Verizon one. All I know is in a couple of days the hipsters yuppie loving starbucks lovers will line up again to get an iphone. Cant wait to take pics with my evo phone to see these losers freeze in the cold for a phone! This is why our country goes down the toilet.
When I said multi-task, I meant exactly that- the inability to surf the web while you are on the phone. And someone will have to prove to me that the VZ iPhone will have such great reception. Why would it be any better than all the other VZ phones out there that don't work in FiDi either? My company gives out VZ cell phone and air cards and even in our office building they do not work very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City